CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
ovOidampUle

The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating

This is really a tremendously helpful book written by someone who lost control of her life due to Borderline Personality Disorder and learned to cope via good therapy. In the book she talks about how difficult it is to find the right treatment and how life changing it was for someone to give her a diagnosis and explain it to her frankly. She talks about treatment and her struggles with it. I'm don't meet the criteria for BPD, but there's a lot for me to relate to in this book. My life is a mess because I can't emotionally handle a lot of situations, and it's in a way that runs deeper than anxiety. She calls it "emotional dysregulation," and I definitely identified with that. There's very few books out there written for people *with* BPD, and fewer still that are as hopeful and encouraging as this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Borderline-Recovery-Personality-Dialectical/dp/157224710X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471906417&sr=8-1&keywords=buddha+and+the+borderline

• Like 1

Yes. I second that. It's intense but so good. For someone with bpd to find hope & to know how much someone gets it or for someone wanting to understand the illness. I've recommended it to my mum (who is actually a lot like Kiera's) & support worker

• Like 1

I do not have BPD, but my disorganization which can lead to chaos and havoc leads to a complicated life. I found the author so relatable and compelling, I really  couldn't put the book down until I finished.

She has given me so much hope. I highly recommend this book for anyone to read, BPD or no.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Simone.
      Hello everyone! Where to begin...
      I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder with some avoidant traits. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety since elementary school (I am 22 now).
      Up til this point, I have been in and out of hospitals and treatment centers and passed around from therapist to therapist. I was heavily self- harming and abusing alcohol and other substances. A few months ago, I was sent to yet another center after a suicide attempt. 
      Let me tell you, it changed my life. I was introduced to DBT, which has truly saved me. I am finally on the correct medication which has seriously reduced, if not stopped, my horrid intrusive thoughts and paranoia. Before, I was to the point I could hardly get out of bed, and already had to drop out of college and leave my job. Now, I have rediscovered my love for art, I am waitressing (something I would have NEVER thought possible) and- best of all- my relationship with my fiance is SO much better and we are back to planning our wedding.
      I am back to seeing a therapist regularly, and she is awesome. I've finally confronted issues with my toxic mother and am opening up about traumatic childhood experiences as well as working through family therapy with my father (and my mother, when he can convince her to join). 
      The fact is, life is GOOD, I am somewhere I thought I would never be and I am incredibly grateful. I'm back here to recieve support now that I am more stable and moving forward into uncharted territory in my life. Thanks for being here and reading.
    • By ladyboss
      Hi all, it's been awhile. 
      I'm diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, and lately haven't gotten much sleep. My fiance works overnight, and my sleep schedule has switched to his pretty much. Well, the last few days, I've been up 12+ hours. I've not been tired, really, and will end up crashing when I am. I get this luxury since I am home, all day, and keep house while he is gone.
      Upon looking across the net, BPD, doesn't have manic phases? Only Bipolar Disorder? But, I'm not diagnosed with that BPD, just, Borderline PD, so, what the hell? That's a pretty clear symptom of someone who is Bipolar, so I don't get why this is going on. Haven't really been depressed, am always stressed, though. Still have a bad habit of taking my meds regularly, this hasn't happened before though. I mean, when I was a teen, there were times I'd stay up all day and night, I maybe did it...once? But it's like I'm the energizer bunny, I just keep going and going. 
      I'm not even tired, and my fiance is getting the shit end of this stick, cause I've been keeping him up, because I'm bored.
      Thoughts?
    • By kittyloaf
      I recently started a partial hospitalization program, and I see a new psychiatrist while I'm in the program. This pdoc diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder, and says I don't have schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type. I can believe the BPD as I read the symptoms and I relate to them a lot, explains a lot, but I'm having a hard time believing I don't have schizoaffective disorder as I've had this diagnosis for 8 years and have had three regular pdocs say I had this disorder. I know you can't diagnose me and I'm not asking you to, but for those of you who have BPD or traits of BPD have you experienced anything similar? Being misdiagnosed for a long time before your BPD diagnosis. Or can I have both disorders?
    • By TeaLovingMess
      Sorry if this has been posted before, tried searching and couldn't find anything. ^^;
      So BPD has been bought up a few times over the years in conversations with GPs, but I've always run away from the diagnosis and strongly denied it (I  guess due to a lot of misunderstanding as to what a BPD diagnosis would actually mean, I guess). Recently I was trying to explain what goes on in my head to a housemate, and he bought up that "it sounds a lot like borderline". Turns out he was diagnosed with BPD a couple years ago, so we had a good talk about it, and I must admit, it makes a lot of sense.
      The thing is, I'm not sure how to bring this concern up with my psychologist. Do I just tell her I think I might have BPD? Any advice from people with similar experiences would be great ^^;
    • By sugjesstive
      hello, new here. i found the board by googling two of my meds interactions.

went to my psych today and got a new med... read about two of my meds interaction and lowkey i'm terrified lol.

list of all drugs/substances i take once a day, all in the morning:
      300mg bupropion qd
      400mg lamictal qd
      10mg generic zyrtec
      "women's" multivitamin
      5000mg biotin
      birth control pill

as needed:
      30mg zenzedi OR adderall. i only take half at a time, and not every day, though i do most days
      5mg ambien (take ~5x a week)

my depression has been terrible for the last year -- tbh since the election. dropped out of Uni fall semester last year and haven't been since. i have been lazy, 100000% unmotivated, reclusive, gained 30lbs in less than 2 years etc etc. i don't want to leave the house to see my friends and family because i am embarrassed about my weight gain (also because of the reclusiveness i mentioned). 

after talking with my psych, she suggested adding 5mg Trintellix (Brintellix?). she mentioned that the most common side effects were nausea, diarrhea etc etc. she said that if it seemed to be helping i could lower my wellbutrin dose and perhaps stop taking it entirely (trintellix being its replacement). after leaving her office i did what any other millennial would do and googled the medication. there is a LOT of information about the possibility of serotonin syndrome being a side effect - i read somewhere 15%???? that seems low but like google it - it sounds terrifying. combining wellbutrin + trintellix has a "MAJOR" interaction per drugs.com, which states that the risks outweigh the benefits when combined. i immediately left my psych a message telling her basically what i said but less crazy (pfff lol) sounding. she called back and said that she's never seen that, it's very rare, she's met only one prescriber who reported it in a patient, and it's usually at higher doses. i feel a little better but still a bit nervous.

not really sure what i'm expecting to get from this post but i'm so annoyed with taking a millions meds and i keep seeing deaths reported by combined meds, often including (not limited to) adderall and ambien. like i'm in my early 30s, i don't want to die in my sleep.... anyway, hi!