CrazyBoards.org

rowan77

On Epilim (sodium valproate) long do you have to wait to get your blood level checked to see if at therapeutic level

Don't know if I made title  clear. So I am going up to 1000mg tonight.

When should I get blood level checked to see if I am within therapeutic range?? A day, a few days, a week??

Also when I reach therapeutic level does it take long for symptoms to settle: hypomania??

Thanks ☺

Valporate is a very strong anti-manic drug, from your signature as well you're on seroquel (another strong anti-manic drug which I am on also).

It should take about 3-6 weeks for all of that to have an effect. For me it took 2 months to come down from my first psychotic manic/mixed episode. 

I came off my meds before though at another time and I started to get manic and I went back on valporate and seroquel, the seroquel kept me levelled around the same mood (my mood didn't get any higher) for 3-4 weeks and then I balanced out. 

That's the best answer I got, maybe ask your doctor

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. Thankfully my mood is still at the hypomanic stage so I'm hoping the valproate will stop it in its tracks before mania hits and causes havoc left right and centre 

However I really like feeling this way. I can do so much while only sleeping a few hours and can get an amazing amount accomplished.

I wish I could stay this way

But I am aware that my mood will escalate further or go into the depths of dark depression

So there you are.

33 minutes ago, rowan77 said:

Thanks Jimmy. Thankfully my mood is still at the hypomanic stage so I'm hoping the valproate will stop it in its tracks before mania hits and causes havoc left right and centre 

However I really like feeling this way. I can do so much while only sleeping a few hours and can get an amazing amount accomplished.

I wish I could stay this way

But I am aware that my mood will escalate further or go into the depths of dark depression

So there you are.

I've been hypo a couple times this year but the meds keep it there. I try to enjoy it while it lasts while trying not to lose control. My problem is I tend to spend a lot and party too hard. I get the temptetion to not take my meds but I try to fight that temptation.

All I got to say is stick with your meds and enjoy it while it lasts while trying not to lose control. As long as you can be functional and be responsible there is nothing wrong with a bit of hypomania in my opinion. We can't always be perfect. I sense that you are bit stressed about it so all I can say is if you do what your doctor tells you, you shouldn't worry too much about being a bit too happy.

Things like that happen when you're bipolar, it's all about learning to cope with it

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

My doctor took blood levels after a week.

Usually depends on how fast they want to titrate you. With one pdoc, it was a month. A different pdoc, it was a week. It appears steady-state should be reached in 3-5 days, so a week should be accurate. They do like to draw a trough level, like lithium.

I went up to 1200 mg last night. Slept a bit better still restless, irritable and have some racing thoughts.  However I don't think I am quite as bad as yesterday.

Community nurse is calling later to give me clonazapam which my pdoc presctibed as a PRN medication. hopefully that and my other meds will help.

2 minutes ago, centaurus said:

As others mentioned test after week. Just before morning dose.

Wonder how it works if you are taking the extended release formulation. I only take it at night.

Maybe it is the same as lithium. I took the extended release formulation at night and my bloods were checked 12 hours later

Just to be different, I took it for migraine, it had zero effect on my mood. I ended up taking 1750mg. They tested me for liver enzymes, not for blood level. And they stopped testing after a year or so. I was surprised to hear that there was a specific therapeutic range for mania.

2 hours ago, crtclms said:

Just to be different, I took it for migraine, it had zero effect on my mood. I ended up taking 1750mg. They tested me for liver enzymes, not for blood level. And they stopped testing after a year or so. I was surprised to hear that there was a specific therapeutic range for mania.

Yes. My pdoc isn't big into therapeutic levels. It's how the person responds clinically.

However I think he would if I were not to repsond on a what is considered to be a therapeutic dose

7 hours ago, crtclms said:

I was surprised to hear that there was a specific therapeutic range for mania.

My doctor never said anything about mania. He just said "therapeutic dose".

So if i take my valproate extended release formulation tonight at 10pm, should I  get my blood drawn at approximately 10am tomorrow to get a blood level, 12 hours after. Or does it have to be that exact?

Is it like lithium in that respect??

Thanks

Well I took it approx 12 hours before getting valproate level taken. 

Saw pdoc today. Upped my dose from 1200mg to 1400mg.

Here's hoping 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ochmom
      I have been on Wellbutrin SR twice a day for at least 6 months.  The other day, I forgot to take my morning dose until about 5pm.  I think I then took my evening dose at 9pm that night.  The next day, I forgot to take it again until about noon.  Although my anxiety was warranted, to some extent, it was WAY higher than it normally is even when I fear a conflict is going to happen.  Could my Missed doses have anything to do with this increased anxiety?
    • By mcjimjam
      I'm interested in Latuda, having discovered it is now available in my country, although not covered by universal healthcare for BP.
      I swore off AAPs years ago because I suffer from cholinergic urticaria aka heat hives. It is a life long condition but often stays dormant for long periods and can be mild. I didn't experience severe symptoms until my Seroquel was raised to 400mg and my body temp would swing from hot to cold, cold to hot etc.
      after that I broke out in horrible itchy prickly hives and was honestly restricted to air conditioned places all summer. Couldn't go outside or do anything that made me warm up or sweat.
      So I'm frightened of that happening again. I'm also frightened of permanent TD as my schizophrenic grandmother had that and a bunch of tics and tremors which scared me as a kid.
      I'd like to know how much you take, have you noticed any body temperature dysregulation, are low doses pretty effective or do most people take a higher dose? What was your dosing titration to begin with? Was 20mg tried for a while or did you go straight to a higher dose?
    • By rowan77
      Had to quit lithium due to kidney disease. so pdoc put me on Epilim (Depakote)  last  Friday, 400mg to start with.
      The thing is...I'm absolutely obsessed with food and cannot stop going around the kitchen looking for food and thinking about what I would like to eat.
      I don't really feel more hungry than normal, just want to keep eating.
      And this is only day 4 on it!! This is crazy!
      I'm afraid to weigh myself but I will do so tomorrow morning to see the bigger picture......ouch!
      Anybody else taking this medication want to eat all the time and think about food but not really hungry??
      I really have to knock this on the head or I will gain the 20 lbs I have slowly managed to lose....And gain more along with it!!

• By Kady
      Hi. I'm sorry this is long. My question is at the end...
      I just switched from Strattera (non-stimulant ADHD medication) & 175 mg Effexor XR to 100 mg Pristiq.
      (Why? My new psychiatrist thought that Pristiq would reduce the Effexor side-effects (reduced libido, weight gain) and improve my mood. Effexor had initially improved my mood. After 5 months, I didn't think that the Strattera was doing anything for me; psychiatrist plans to add new ADHD medication in April after the transition from Effexor to Pristine.)
      I'd experienced Effexor withdrawal effects in the past, after 1-2 missed doses, but the doctor didn't think that the Effexor withdrawal would be a big deal now because Pristiq is so similar.
      As prescribed, the first week I went down to 75 mg Effexor XR and started 50 mg Pristiq.
      The first few days were ok (no brain zaps). Mild headache. Relief that I didn't feel worse. 
      Day 4 I noticed that I was extremely anxious, scatter-brained, impulsive, and emotional. I don't know how much was a horrible PTA meeting i attended, and how much my symptoms made the meeting worse (I mean, SOMEONE had to tell the school principal that she was way out of line, or at least, I did...). I also had PMS; and I'm 45. That's a bad combo.
      Day 5 I was terribly down. 
      Day 6 I had a unprecedented severe headache. Shut the curtains and stayed under the covers with ice. The headache became milder that evening. 
      I've continued to have headaches ever since, ranging from mild to painful.
      Day 8 I stopped taking any Effexor and increased the Pristiq to 100 mg as prescribed. 
      This is day 11. I spent half the day in bed due to bad headache. Mood very low -- tearful. I took 2 Sudafed in case the headache was sinus-related. Did nothing. (Same amount of acetaminophen as 2 extra-strength tylenol.) This afternoon I ate breakfast and then had a coffee -- my headache suddenly settled with the coffee, but now my heart is pounding. Tired of my own negativity and symptoms. Tired of accomplishing nothing and feeling bad about it. 
      The headache has been very sensitive to light. Mostly stronger on one side than the other. Typically strongest behind one eye and running behind one ear. Sometimes in back at the base of my skull.
      My questions are:
      Is ongoing headache likely related to stopping Effexor (and Strattera), in which case it will hopefully eventually stop? Or is this a side-effect of the Pristiq? (Or maybe coincidence, but I don't know that I've ever had a headache for at least 6 days before. Maybe.)  
      Would one have Effexor withdrawal symptoms despite replacing it with Pristiq?
      For those with Pristiq headache side-effect, has it gone away? 
      Do people experience Straterra withdrawal symptoms?
      Thanks. 
      (PS I take 7 mg zopiclone for sleep each night.)
    • By J04KlM
      I have been on Wellbutrin 150 mg on 3 weeks and 5 days, just 4 days ago i started to feel the positive effect. My depression has definitely lifted, i enjoy life again and i've got more energy and motivation. But the depression is still there, i'm still not where i used to be. So i want to try increasing the dosage of Wellbutrin to 300mg to make the positive effect even stronger. But my doctor has told me she's seen patients get emotionally flat/lose their creativity on 300 mg, so i am here to ask any of you who are currently taking Wellbutrin 300 mg or have been on it before. Did you feel any sign of emotional flatness or lost creativity? Or did it make you feel even better than on 150 mg?
      No negative stories about the medication in general please, i'm only interested in hearing how you felt when you were on 300 mg of Wellbutrin.