CrazyBoards.org

Persona_Is_Life

How are you when it comes to personal hygeine.

Hi. I struggle with anxiety, depression, and ADHD and it's made college hell for me. I was "too busy" for a while to make time for daily personal hygiene routines. I have more time but  I lost motivation to really take care of myself about a year ago. That was the last time I did laundry. I don't remember the last time I showered. I can't even get the energy some days to brush my teeth. I don't know why I can't motivate myself to do things in life. I'm taking 125mg of Clomipramine at night, Wellbutrin XL 300mg in the morning with 30mg Adderall XR. I just want to know about those struggle you have encountered. Suggestions would be wonderful too. Thanks.

• Like 1

I struggle with this, too. If it weren't for the staff at my residential home, I probably wouldn't do laundry. I still do it very infrequently. I do shower pretty often, but I'm terrible at brushing my teeth. When I'm in a bad spot, these things go down the tubes. My only suggestion is try to make a routine out of it. Get up at the same time, etc. I can't do this to save my life, so I understand if this hard. 

If not, just force yourself once a week to shower. It helps when its cold out cause it feels good! You'll feel better that you did it, I promise. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Yeah its hard for me too. I find showering, shaving, doing laundry, brushing my hair etc. really exhausting. The only thing i am able to do on a regular basis is brush my teeth.  I think its because its just quick, and i get it done first thing in the morning, so it actually helps me procrastinate getting dressed and going to work. When i show up to work with greasy hair or smelly clothes i just feel like crap and im paranoid that other people find me gross, when they might not have even noticed. I know its worth it to take the time to get ready, but my energy is just so low. 

What is your schedule like? I only groom if its absolutely necessary, and usually last minute before i have to something. Its not the best way but at least it gets done. Could you try to fit in a shower just before class, or maybe halfway through homework, when you need a break? That way its not about showering, its about helping you get through that other thing, if that makes sense. 

• Like 2

I had very poor hygiene when I was completely symptomatic. I still hate making the effort but I make it a routine now because I know it boosts my self-esteem and that I feel better when it's over.

• Like 1

My personal hygiene definitely leaves something to be desired. I manage to do laundry about once every two weeks, and shower and brush my teeth once or twice a week. I wash my hair in the kitchen sink on a daily basis so I "pass" as clean/hygienic. Somehow getting undressed for an actual shower is too much work. On weekdays, I'd rather sleep than shower before work or go to bed early in the evening rather than shower before bed. Weekends I shower because I have the time in the middle of the day. My face is starting to have too much acne. I need to wash it more often because the acne hurts.

My pdoc recently learned how infrequently I shower and was surprised, I think because of how well I "pass". Since then she's started asking me if she's asking the right questions. I didn't bring up that I don't shower on a daily basis... she asked how frequently I shower and brush my teeth. It's not something I like talking about, I'm embarrassed by it. If I knew how to get myself to shower and brush my teeth every day I would. I just seem to be too lazy. I think @Foodtrap is onto something with trying to get it done in the middle of something else as a way of procrastinating on other things.

• Like 1

I work really hard on my appearance, and it takes a bit of effort.  I operate under the assumption that looking good will distract people from my eccentric behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, Foodtrap said:

Yeah its hard for me too. I find showering, shaving, doing laundry, brushing my hair etc. really exhausting. The only thing i am able to do on a regular basis is brush my teeth.  I think its because its just quick, and i get it done first thing in the morning, so it actually helps me procrastinate getting dressed and going to work. When i show up to work with greasy hair or smelly clothes i just feel like crap and im paranoid that other people find me gross, when they might not have even noticed. I know its worth it to take the time to get ready, but my energy is just so low. 

What is your schedule like? I only groom if its absolutely necessary, and usually last minute before i have to something. Its not the best way but at least it gets done. Could you try to fit in a shower just before class, or maybe halfway through homework, when you need a break? That way its not about showering, its about helping you get through that other thing, if that makes sense. 

It does. Thank you for your advice. :)

@LiamB Brushing my teeth is another thing I just suck at keeping up with. Laundry (obviously). I came home tonight to find my boyfriend doing it.

@CeremonyNewOrder Glad to know it's part of your routine. I hope you stay asymptomatic.

@Geek It sounds odd, but I haven't smelled or break out into terrible acne. I let myself go longer without because of that.

10 hours ago, Jean Valjean said:

I work really hard on my appearance, and it takes a bit of effort.  I operate under the assumption that looking good will distract people from my eccentric behavior.

You might be on to something there.

I have developed a kind of aversion to showering, cleaning, and doing laundry all of which I once loved doing. The only thing that has changed was adding Adderall to my regimen about 4 years ago. In the beginning. it was great, I was happier, full of energy and motivated but after 2 years it all began to crumble to the point that I could barely move to do anything; shower, clean, brush my teeth. I truly believe that this is the result of Adderall. I started at 20mg twice a day and went up to 60 twice a day. I began to notice unbearable crashes as time went on. I think that Adderall messed up my Dopamine levels and that in turn caused this.

I'm now weaning off Adderall and am at 5mg three times a day. I've taken countless meds for my hard to treat depression and nothing has caused more grief than Adderall. I've also switched from Abilify to Rexulti and stopped Wellbutrin. At night, I take 1 mg Klonopin 200 Trazodone and 800 mg Gabapentin for sleep.   Now I try to force myself to practice better hygiene because it makes me feel a little better.

when my depression hits me my hygiene is terrible. when i lived alone i didnt take out the trash either so i just lived in filth and garbage.

now i live with my boyfriend and he makes me shower, which helps, but even then i cant do it every day. its exhausting to me, so i definitely feel you.

I used to be terrible growing up. I would wash once a week and in my teen years I would go months without washing. I wasn't depressed at this stage, I think it was party a sensory thing (I hate water running down my face) and I guess I just wasn't all that bothered about my teeth.

Nowadays I'm much better. I wash when I notice my hair getting greasy or my beard becomes a mess. I brush my teeth and wash my face twice a day and floss if I get food stuck in my teeth. I take a lot more pride in my appearance now and I don't like it when I look a mess. I find showering to help my depression, I come out of the shower feeling physically better with the knowledge that I'm clean for a few more days, and while it takes a bit of time I can put the beads in my beard and be happy with how I look. Thankfully depression has never made it difficult for me to manage hygiene, and I'm glad because it's taken a lot of work to get to this stage, I don't want depression to take another thing from me.

I used to be terrible growing up. I would wash once a week and in my teen years I would go months without washing. I wasn't depressed at this stage, I think it was party a sensory thing (I hate water running down my face) and I guess I just wasn't all that bothered about my teeth.

Nowadays I'm much better. I wash when I notice my hair getting greasy or my beard becomes a mess. I brush my teeth and wash my face twice a day and floss if I get food stuck in my teeth. I take a lot more pride in my appearance now and I don't like it when I look a mess. I find showering to help my depression, I come out of the shower feeling physically better with the knowledge that I'm clean for a few more days, and while it takes a bit of time I can put the beads in my beard and be happy with how I look. Thankfully depression has never made it difficult for me to manage hygiene, and I'm glad because it's taken a lot of work to get to this stage, I don't want depression to take another thing from me.

When my depression was at its' worst, which was when I was on no meds or the meds I was on were not working at all, I neglected hygiene. I would shower, shave and change clothes about once a week and mostly because my beard would be getting scratchy or I'd need to go out and buy tobacco. I don't like going out when I haven't showered etc. for quite a few days because I don't "pass". My hair is very thick and looks crazy and disgusting, often standing on ends. I have very course black facial hair and along with the black under my eyes I look frightful (and frightening). It takes a lot of "talking myself into" getting into the shower. When I'm really unwell I just do. not. want. I always feel so so much better one I'm clean, though.

Now that I'm on meds that are partially effective I shower/change/shave at least a couple of times a week and do laundry about once a week or more. I actually enjoy doing laundry a lot of the time. I am quite strongly motivated by the fact that I have social anxiety and don't feel comfortable going in public unless I feel presentable. If I don't have drive/energy to make myself presentable I will often avoid going out as a result.

I was feeling mildly depressed lately and noticed my attire became kind of bland. Started wearing solids day-after-day. I am guessing that depression can drain creativity in clothing when it's mild.  A lot of tech CEOs  (which I am not) are well known for wearing almost identical clothing every day.

15 minutes ago, tulips4you2 said:

I hate showering! 

I hate doing laundry. I shower only because it helps wake me up and feel a bit more human....it's really pointless though, because then I just put my pajamas/hoodie back on again and dirty socks!!! Eww. When I'm depressed, I don't change my clothes. If I do go outside, I wear the same pair of jeans for weeks with gray everyday... just like my soul, Lol.

Edited by Blahblah

I used to keep up with hygiene but now that I am older and my depression is worse I just don't care to shower or put on clean clothes.  Everything I do takes so much energy and I can barely take care of my 2 cats let alone wipe my ass and brush my teeth.

When I was really depressed.. I didn't do my laundry, I rotated I think 2 hoody's and sweatpants. I would actually buy new leggings and underwear on amazon, so I didn't have to wash the clothes I had at home.. I didn't have the energy. The only thing I hate is doing my hair... and shaving. I have long frizzy thick hair, it's like a 3 step process just to look somewhat presentable. I get overwhelmed thinking of doing it. I had a phase where I didn't blow dry it for months and just let it air dry.. it was pretty wavy and sometimes I looked like a hot mess. And then you have the pubes and leg hair.. ugh. If I had the money I would get a little laser hair removal on my vagina. Now , I stay too long in the shower and take good care of myself hygiene wise. The shower is very relaxing too. 

Edited by KnickNak

While I was in college, I will admit that I didn't really even bother to do simple things like brushing my hair (and I have hair that's medium length/on the longer end of medium rather than short hair).  I also would rarely shave and sometimes didn't even bother to wash my hair or anything.  Pretty much the only "grooming" I did back then was wiping my rear end..... and brushing my teeth assuming I didn't forget for some reason which happened at times.  I did generally shower but only because I've enjoyed showering and have found the falling water to be quite meditative.

If I was going to work, I had slightly better grooming (e.g. would make a halfhearted effort at combing my hair)..... otherwise I probably generally appeared quite disheveled and possibly even "crazy" much of the time.  However, now I pay a lot of attention to my grooming and appearance.  Not only do I comb my hair and all now, but I even bother to do things like using conditioner and making sure it is combed properly.  In the past, it wasn't so much that grooming was something I was averse to.... just that my mind was otherwise occupied and I didn't feel the need to bother/would just forget about things like brushing my hair.

Edited by Steve223

I haven't showered, bathed, washed, or combed my hair, or brushed my teeth in a year.  I can't stand the way I look or feel.  I've gotten fat because I'm in too much physical pain from auto accidents to work out.  If I didn't have the responsibility of caring for my dogs, I'd have killed myself seven years ago. As soon as they die from old age, I'm done.  I'm not sticking around to see how many other assholes can get away with hitting my car and not suffer any consequences.  I hope the motherfucker who broke my back in a hit and run comes back from Afghanistan as a quadruple amputee who's in excrucuiating chronic pain for the rest of his miserable life.

I love to take baths. In fact I’m in the tub as I write this. I think it’s the one thing that keeps me fighting to live another day. I hate combing my hair, brushing my teeth, putting on nice clothes. I spend tons of money on clothes and makeup, but rarely use them. Never feel worthy enough.

Edited by ginger_flybaby

Normally, I'm pretty good about it, but that's usually in the context of working 40+ hours a week, so I don't put too much weight on that. When I have a lot of time to myself ― like the past couple days ― hygiene compliance gets a little dicey. Like, right now, it's not potent enough to peel wallpaper but I ain't no rose neither. It's just very hard to get motivated around the holidays.

I'm good about taking a shower, and I brush my hair, and I brush my teeth... but beyond that, I'm not that great at self care. Unless my husband dresses me, I look like I dressed myself in the dark. My husband does the laundry, and even then I sometimes still wear items that haven't been washed because dressing myself takes so much energy that I just grab whatever is in front of me. I don't do my hair beyond brushing it, I don't wear makeup, I rarely shave my underarms or legs (if I shave my legs, it's a victory). It makes me feel dowdy and sometimes I wonder what my husband sees in me, especially when I see how immaculately groomed other women are, but he doesn't seem to mind my fuzzy legs.