melissaw72

Questions about spam/other question

7 posts in this topic

I sent 2 spam posts this morning to whomever gets rid of them ... and I know I didn't post under them.  But then I look in my inbox later on and they were both in my inbox. 

Do you know why?  I don't remind reporting spam, but I also don't want them in my inbox.

---------------------

Also what does this mean ... "New content for things I follow" ?  Not sure whether to be notified or not ... on notification settings because I don't know what it means.

Because of my timezone, I'm usually the mod online getting rid of spam when/at the same time you typically report it.  I don't think I did anything different to the method I usually follow when I dealt with all the earlier spam posts (there have been several today), so I'm not sure why they would have shown up in your inbox.  Perhaps one of the admins will have an idea.

Also what does this mean ... "New content for things I follow" ?  Not sure whether to be notified or not ... on notification settings because I don't know what it means

I don't know... maybe it means you are notified of new posts in threads that you have already indicated you are following? Does that make sense?

I hope someone can stop them from coming into my inbox.  They have come into my inbox for 4 times now, even after you wrote your reply to me.

Is there anything anyone can do here at CB to get them from NOT ending up in my inbox.  I don't even know what to suggest ... I just don't want them to keep showing up in my inbox.

37 minutes ago, MiaB said:

I don't know... maybe it means you are notified of new posts in threads that you have already indicated you are following? Does that make sense?

It does make sense, but your interpretation is already another separate option.  Meaning that (your interpretation) AND "New content for things I follow" are both on the list.

I copied it from the notification settings ... I figured someone there would know because they wrote it.

I hope someone can stop them from coming into my inbox.  They have come into my inbox for 4 times now, even after you wrote your reply to me.

Is there anything anyone can do here at CB to get them from NOT ending up in my inbox.  I don't even know what to suggest ... I just don't want them to keep showing up in my inbox.

As I said, perhaps one of the admins can help. I haven't done anything differently, so maybe it's a setting somewhere on your side or ours.  In the meantime, perhaps don't report anymore spam for now.  We do appreciate that you do it, but inevitably one of us will catch it and deal with it.

6 minutes ago, MiaB said:

As I said, perhaps one of the admins can help. I haven't done anything differently, so maybe it's a setting somewhere on your side or ours.  In the meantime, perhaps don't report anymore spam for now.  We do appreciate that you do it, but inevitably one of us will catch it and deal with it.

Ok, won't report any spam anymore.  Thanks.

It's possible that in the latest updates from the boards software (something we subscribe to, not something we make happen) that a default setting changed such that you will get a PM of any post you report. I don't see a clear answer after 15 minutes of looking.

With regard to receiving notifications for new content you follow: The default setting is to automatically "follow" any thread you post on. When someone makes a new post on that threat you are following, it will send you a notification. Based on what your other settings are, these notifications can be adding a red number to the bell icon in the upper right, showing a popup message in your window, and I believe emailing or texting as well. You can decide if you want to receive these notices and in what form(s). You can also change the default to not follow threads automatically when you post on them.

my issue with these spam fuckers is that i "follow" the section for my dx and i swear...it's like they've set up shop in the sz section. so even when i'm offline i get emails when someone starts a new thread and it's, like, a *significant* percentage of my emails the past couple of months have been these spammer assholes. 

i don't want to not have notifications though because it makes me feel more connected even to just read sometimes when i can't be here. and every now and then i'll poke my head in based on having read a new thread.

it's frustrating.