Persona_Is_Life

Lamictal Experiences?

13 posts in this topic

I don't know all that much about Lamictal other than it can cause a nasty rash (Steven Johnson's Syndrome) and is used in epilepsy and Bipolar. I had a grand mal seizure a few weeks ago and the neuro I saw a couple of days ago started me on Lamictal. We're titrating slowly up to 100 mg BID.

I'm not Bipolar, and I don't have drastic mood swings. Is it going to flatten my moods like a zombie? Will it make me slow cognitively? He said it should help with anxiety, depression, help keep me awake (we're nixing Wellbutrin), and increase my focus? Can one med really do all that?

Thank you for your input.

I've been on Lamictal a couple times now (not for epilepsy, but depression). Out of all the psych meds I've been on (many, see below), Lamictal seems to have the least amount of major side effects (at least under 200mg dosage).

Honestly, the titration period is a bit slow/annoying (I had some initial itchiness & dull headaches but that went away.) However, little by little, I have noticed my depression is not as severe as it was before I started. I no longer feel out-of-control-sensitive & upset all of the time. I feel like a more stable ME (only less anxious/depressed). I still have depression symptoms for sure, but they are much more manageable.

Nice thing about Lamictal: it has NEVER caused me any weight gain (I've actually lost about 5 pounds with no change in diet/exercise), no drowsiness/sedation zombie feeling, whatsoever....no increased anxiety, no insomnia, and no physical restlessness like other psych meds usually cause. Give it a try - you may love it!

I get no side effects from lamotrigine and I'm at 100 mg. I just feel normal, that's all. And I'm quite sensitive to drugs. My psychiatrist said he picked that one for me because it's a very "clean" drug, in the way that it doesn't cause too many side effects usually. I think you should be fine at that dose without getting any slowness of cognitive abilities. 

Edited by Southern Discomfort
1 person likes this

Thank you to both of you. I really hope it works. I tend to react so bizarrely to medications so it's a bit of a gamble for me.

Just wanted to say that I am also on Lamictal, but not for seizures.  It is a mood stabilizer for me.

It could possibly give you a seizure if you go off it suddenly, especially as the dose continues to increase.  Example ... when I had been on lamictal for awhile (years), I started for whatever reason started choking on them when swallow, and even when the pills were halved I still choked on them, so I stopped taking them.  A few days later I called pdoc to let him know (I didn't know about the seizure possibility then), and he immediately called me back and said he didn't want me to have a seizure, and would be ordering the sublingual (ODT) ones.  It needed a PA and he got it in maybe a half hour and sent the prescription in.  So I started back up with those. 

I never had a seizure going off of lamictal for a few days, but the was pdoc's main concern was me getting a seizure, which why he reacted so fast.

I hope it works well for you!

How long does Lamictal work once at a theraputic dose?

I'm asking because it seems like every med I have tried will work for a while and then quit.  SSRI/SNRI seem to work about 3 years and then quit.  Others will only work for about 6 months to a year and then quit.  Benzos it's even shorter, about 4 weeks.

5 hours ago, Dphxa said:

How long does Lamictal work once at a theraputic dose?

I'm asking because it seems like every med I have tried will work for a while and then quit.  SSRI/SNRI seem to work about 3 years and then quit.  Others will only work for about 6 months to a year and then quit.  Benzos it's even shorter, about 4 weeks.

I've been on lamictal for a very long time (years) and it still works for me ... my dose is 600 mg/day, in divided doses.

(bold) I've been on prozac, ie, since 1991. 

Is these your personal experiences that the SSRI/SNRIs work about 3 years then quit?  And then others work for 6 months? And benzos for 4 weeks?

Asking because it isn't like that for everyone.

I'm on 400mg, and if I have a side effect, it would be word finding difficulties. But there is a very good chance that is from migraine, and even if it is not, it hasn't been much of an issue. Titrating was another story, but it was worth it.

My husband is on lamictal as part of his cocktail for seizures. He also takes Tri-leptal, and a new AC, Briviact. It came out about 8 months ago, and is related to Keppra. He doesn't seem to have side effects from Lamictal. I seem to remember he had trouble sleeping at first, but not anymore.

It controls my moods a bit. I'm apparently not bipolar but I get really impulsive and all over the place off of it. Didn't help with focus, depression or anxiety. For me wellbutrin helps with focus, latuda on depression and paxil (prozac and effexor in the past) on anxiety.

I don't really have side effects from it. 

Sorry about the late replies.  We had a terrible windstorm and lost electricity for a few days.  We had to stay in a motel because the house got COLD.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:38 AM, melissaw72 said:

Is these your personal experiences that the SSRI/SNRIs work about 3 years then quit?  And then others work for 6 months? And benzos for 4 weeks?

Asking because it isn't like that for everyone.

Yes correct this is my personal experience.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:54 PM, iaawal said:

It controls my moods a bit. I'm apparently not bipolar but I get really impulsive and all over the place off of it. Didn't help with focus, depression or anxiety. For me wellbutrin helps with focus, latuda on depression and paxil (prozac and effexor in the past) on anxiety.

I don't really have side effects from it. 

How difficult was the switch from Effexor to Paxil?

29 minutes ago, Dphxa said:

Sorry about the late replies.  We had a terrible windstorm and lost electricity for a few days.  We had to stay in a motel because the house got COLD.

Yes correct this is my personal experience.

How difficult was the switch from Effexor to Paxil?

I actually switched from effexor to prozac then prozac to paxil. So switching to prozac went pretty smoothly. We did it very slowly to avoid the nasty withdrawal effects from effexor. Starting paxil and going off prozac went smoothly too. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, iaawal said:

I actually switched from effexor to prozac then prozac to paxil. So switching to prozac went pretty smoothly. We did it very slowly to avoid the nasty withdrawal effects from effexor. Starting paxil and going off prozac went smoothly too. 

I went onto Pristiq (Effexor's active metabolite) from generic Prozac and the Pristiq is so much stronger.  I feel like if I tried to go the other way that I would end up getting some of that nasty withdrawal.  Attempting Pristiq --> Fetzima caused pretty bad withdrawal effects, but maybe the Fetzima just wasn't right for me.

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear about your seizure.

I am on 200mg of Lamictal. Back in 2013 I was just taking 150mg for my depression and panic disorder and helped the ups and downs... it wasn't a cure all but it sure helped!. Now I am on it along with 3 other meds. I would say i def need it to level everything out.

Edited by KnickNak
1 person likes this