CrazyBoards.org

I don't have contempt for the mentally ill, I have contempt for the idea of safe spaces that inhibit the mentally ill from getting help, it's the opposite extreme of those who insist on pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Most people can't do that, but I could have, that's why I'm being self-critical. Safe-spacers try to help, but refuse to face the problem, while boot-strappers recognize the problem has to be faced, but refuse to help. What's needed is the problem to be recognized and a helping hand given. 

And I'm trying to start a suffering Olympics, I just want my suffering acknowledged at all, just poverty in America should be acknowledged and not trivialized because it's not bad like Africa.

Okay, fair enough. I do indeed recognize that you've been dealt a bad hand and that you have MI challenges that are making your life hellish. You're in good company here at CB. We understand. We totally get the thing about the gabapentin side-effects and having to put up with side effects just to get the slightest relief from the mental pain and misery. We hear you, and can tell you're unhappy, and we know how hard you must be struggling to get through every day.

We're not going to coddle you, because we don't do that here, and you don't want that anyway. You want a hand up so you can keep going under your own power. Good for you.

But why do you say "I could have"? Why waste the time being self-critical? What's stopping you from being a boot-strapper now? Do you think you're too far gone to pull yourself up? You're not. The very fact that you can imagine doing so tells us you're not. So it's time to figure out exactly what it is that is standing in your way - exactly what obstacle prevents you from being that person who takes his healing into his own hands.

Blaming gets you absolutely nowhere - blaming your father, blaming yourself, blaming others who are failing, blaming others who are succeeding, blaming the "system" - none of it moves you one millimeter forward. But you can move forward any time you want, just by deciding to take the step yourself.

So, how about it?

• Like 1

All I know is that these fucking assholes better not touch my Medicaid. It's literally all I have left. Take it away and I'm dead.

3 hours ago, nestor said:

I don't have contempt for the mentally ill, I have contempt for the idea of safe spaces that inhibit the mentally ill from getting help, it's the opposite extreme of those who insist on pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Most people can't do that, but I could have, that's why I'm being self-critical. Safe-spacers try to help, but refuse to face the problem, while boot-strappers recognize the problem has to be faced, but refuse to help. What's needed is the problem to be recognized and a helping hand given. 

And I'm trying to start a suffering Olympics, I just want my suffering acknowledged at all, just poverty in America should be acknowledged and not trivialized because it's not bad like Africa.

What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Is this entire website a "safe space"? I don't even understand your premise because I don't think you even have one.

• Like 1

This site is by design a safe space for people with mental health conditions.  I'm pretty sure that's what every mental health support site is.  If you're categorically opposed to safe spaces, please leave here and talk about your mental health issues in open public spaces.  Be prepared to be told repeatedly that you need to smile more.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Okay, fair enough. I do indeed recognize that you've been dealt a bad hand and that you have MI challenges that are making your life hellish. You're in good company here at CB. We understand. We totally get the thing about the gabapentin side-effects and having to put up with side effects just to get the slightest relief from the mental pain and misery. We hear you, and can tell you're unhappy, and we know how hard you must be struggling to get through every day.

We're not going to coddle you, because we don't do that here, and you don't want that anyway. You want a hand up so you can keep going under your own power. Good for you.

But why do you say "I could have"? Why waste the time being self-critical? What's stopping you from being a boot-strapper now? Do you think you're too far gone to pull yourself up? You're not. The very fact that you can imagine doing so tells us you're not. So it's time to figure out exactly what it is that is standing in your way - exactly what obstacle prevents you from being that person who takes his healing into his own hands.

Blaming gets you absolutely nowhere - blaming your father, blaming yourself, blaming others who are failing, blaming others who are succeeding, blaming the "system" - none of it moves you one millimeter forward. But you can move forward any time you want, just by deciding to take the step yourself.

So, how about it?

I'm just explaining the cause and effect of how I got here, I'm not trying to be excessively self-criticizing, I'm just laying out the facts. I know I still theoretically can pull myself up, put to do so will be very painful, and it's that fear of pain that stopped me from doing it all the other times I tried. I need to harness the power of faith ad belief in my values to overcome that pain.

5 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

This site is by design a safe space for people with mental health conditions.  I'm pretty sure that's what every mental health support site is.  If you're categorically opposed to safe spaces, please leave here and talk about your mental health issues in open public spaces.  Be prepared to be told repeatedly that you need to smile more.

I'm challenging the the benefits of a safe space based on my own experiences and would be open to counter arguments in their favor. Speaking further on my own experiences, the two places I've been to prior to this place where I've spilled my guts were in stark contrast to eachother and I had two radically different experiences.

One had almost no moderation whatsoever, shitposting was rampant, you could use whatever hurtful language you wanted,I myself was a shitposter their as well(though I wasn't really the hurtful type, my type of shitposting was unique to the style of the forum I was on and was more obnoxious than malicious) and I actually had been voted the worst shitposter of the year there. Then in one of the threads I had been shitposting in I started to have a mental breakdown and reveal all my woes. Did everyone say I should just smile more, or flat out tell me to fuck off and mock me when they had every right to? No, they actually felt sympathy with and tried to talk with me about my problems until I got board of talking about my problems and kept refusing their advice and they got fed up with me and the matter ended. 

The other was a "safe space", but the users and especially the moderators had little sympathy for  me and when I mildly lashed out against one of the users one of the mods violently came down on me, I told him to go fuck himself and I was permanently banned there with the moderators mocking me.

The lesson I've learned is that people tend to be more genuinely sympathetic and compassionate without Big Brother breathing down their necks. I'm not asking you to change your views, I just want you to consider mine.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nestor said:

I'm challenging the the benefits of a safe space based on my own experiences and would be open to counter arguments in their favor.

So why are here, in this designed "safe space"? Right now, you're just pissing people off. Why don't you go troll a cancer support group (btw, I don't think you're intentionally trying to troll here)? You don't do it because that would make you a giant asshole. So why are you doing this here? The only thing I can think of is that you don't really believe mental illness is "real." If that's the case, then you should just leave right now, and never come back because there is really no point in even debating these things.

It sounds like there are fundamental differences here that are irreconcilable. Unfortunately, for you, your side of the argument is completely unsupported and frankly, ridiculous in light of things like, you know....reality, facts and science. Again, there's really no point in having this "debate" because all you're going to do is piss people off and nothing will change in anybody's mind.

Edited by DopamineSick
  • Like 2

I'm here because this forum specializess in mental illness and has resources that help me deal with my own. What have I said that leads you to the conclusion that I don't believe mental illness is real? What I don't believe is that safe spaces are a good remedy for them.

You say my argument is unsupported, but I just supported it with my own experience. You on the other hand say your position is supported by facts and science, but I don't see you showing me any fact or science. The only people who I'm pissing off are those who have their heads in the ground and refuse to consider views that contradict their own

Edited by nestor

18 minutes ago, nestor said:

I'm here because this forum specializess in mental illness and has resources that help me deal with my own. What have I said that leads you to the conclusion that I don't believe mental illness is real? What I don't believe is that safe spaces are a good remedy for them.

You say my argument is unsupported, but I just supported it with my own experience. You on the other hand say your position is supported by facts and science, but I don't see you showing me any fact or science. The only people who I'm pissing off are those who have their heads in the ground and refuse to consider views that contradict their own

You know what? You're right. I don't even know what the hell your argument is in the first place. You make blanket, negative generalizations about "safe spaces" and yet, here you are in one of those "safe spaces" criticizing "safe spaces"? I'm confused.

By the way, am I not bootstrappy enough for you because I get Medicaid? Are you one of those?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 9:39 AM, nestor said:

Come now, don't let your insecurity in your beliefs cause you to become intellectually dishonest. I challenged all of your points, I elaborated my case in regards to copyright, I refuted your knee-jerk assumption that I hated Obama because of his race, and I also explained the meaning behind my name.

I understand that his failures on domestic issues were mostly due to Republican obstruction, but he could have tried harder to force through the Public Option, when there was still a Democrat majority in the Senate. But he did have much more leverage over foreign policy, especially in regard to Libya where the was strong bipartisan opposition to the war, where he could have told the French and Italians to back off and tried force and even handed armistice, but instead he opted for yet another regime change. He also had control over supporting the Syrian rebels, he could have chose strict neutrality and tried to bring about an even armistice favoring neither side. In regards to Russia,  he should have tried to be more understanding behind the reasons of Russia's conquest of Crimea. Russia had gone through many devastating invasions by neighboring powers and feared being endangered once again by the encroachment of Nato in the former Soviet bloc and they needed to put a final stop to it before they became completely encircled.

In regards to people needing safe spaces, the first step to recovery is admitting your faults, not wallowing in them. I speak from experience, instead of taking action to fix them both my dad and I allowed me to wallow in my own weakness in my own safe space and look what I've become. You chastise me for being a jerk for trying to explain the reasons behind my use of language, but you are being one by trivializing my mental issues, which is especially ironic as this is supposed to be a forum for understanding such issues. You don't realize how much mental torment I'm in, since Christmas eve I've only left the house twice, in the dead of night to a store right by me, I've stayed in my own safe space for so long that it's starting to collapse in on me, I can't even step outside or type on my tablet without being assaulted by intrusive thoughts that are like needles in my flesh and I need drugs to bring some relief. I don't exaggerate when I say this is hell on earth, if this were a dream and I woke up back to how I was, this undoubtedly would be the worst nightmare ever. The only way I can deal with it is by retreating further into a mentally numb inner safe space. And this is all because of my own weakness, this whole thing could have been prevented if I had the willpower and determination to take the actions necessary, and even after it had begun I could have stopped it if I took the necessary actions and I will continue to be tormented until I take the necessary actions. My contempt for weakness is not illogical and I don't look down upon those who suffer from it, because I am one of those people, what I truly hate is attempting to exacerbate such weakness by discouraging those from trying to overcome it through keeping them locked in a fragile safe space. I know first hand the tragedy that results from such actions. But you seem like you don't want listen, you seem to refuse the possibility that there are deeper meanings to my words outside of your preconceived notions, which are so fragile that you have to dismiss any challenge to them as blather.

The public option was killed by joe Lieberman and max baucus. IMO, everyone should have been allowed to buy Medicare. But it will never happen during my lifetime now. I may not have insurance next month. I have no idea what's going to happen. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

The public option was killed by joe Lieberman and max baucus. IMO, everyone should have been allowed to buy Medicare. But it will never happen during my lifetime now. I may not have insurance next month. I have no idea what's going to happen. 

I'm very concerned about this. I have no idea what's going to happen now. I try not to watch the news because this issue is causing me legitimate anxiety. I can't lose my insurance. 

• Like 1

Dopaminestick do you even bother to read my posts? I criticize the idea of bootstrapping being expected for everyone.

10 minutes ago, nestor said:

Dopaminestick do you even bother to read my posts? I criticize the idea of bootstrapping being expected for everyone.

I didn't read the entire thread word for word as I was short on patience yesterday. I may have misinterpreted you, I will admit that. So now I'm just confused and I will show myself the door.

• Like 1

You don't need to worry about me going after you Medicaid, my family could benefit greatly from getting on it, if only my dad would make an effort to get us on it, at least for my mom. I have a cjamnce this weekend to talk to my psychiatrist about getting on it, although I could have been on it for years if I hadn't been so stupid and lazy.

16 minutes ago, nestor said:

You don't need to worry about me going after you Medicaid, my family could benefit greatly from getting on it, if only my dad would make an effort to get us on it, at least for my mom. I have a cjamnce this weekend to talk to my psychiatrist about getting on it, although I could have been on it for years if I hadn't been so stupid and lazy.

Although I don't know the exact details of your situation, you may be able to apply on your own behalf (as long as you're not claimed as a "dependent" by your family), so you don't have to wait for your dad. You can do everything online. It might not be a bad idea to get an application in now. That way, you won't have to wait extra long in case there's a wave of reapplications. 

• Like 1

Now is the time to contact by phone and email your state's representatives that you do NOT want them to take away ACA. This is important for them to be concerned about losing their jobs over this! As imperfect as this may see to a lot of people, losing Medicare and possibly Medicaid too cannot happen! Let's work to improve what we have, rather than gutting and privatizing everything!

Rise up!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/anxious-lawmakers-to-gop-leaders-whats-the-plan-to-replace-obamacare/2017/01/12/bdbea6bc-d8e1-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html?utm_term=.383341244f0e

Well on a different note.

He is in the house now and let's see what happens. I give him a year time before I judge him... but I think he has a poor sense of time because he is promising way too much for a 4 year period. 

I don't trust him because he has no credentials, has a boat load of bankruptcy which is thrown onto the lower classes, and he put a lot of odd people in position that have no prior experience or education in. But, we are in a climate where people don't want to deal with another politician. 

But, we'll see what happens.....I pray he is actually better than I suspect because if he isn't I will need some heavy tranquilizers lol. 

He has back pedal some stuff he said during his running. 

Heard he signed some laws just recently, but I have no clue what those laws really were. 

Edited by CherryBlossom

7 hours ago, CherryBlossom said:

I don't trust him because he has no credentials, has a boat load of bankruptcy which is thrown onto the lower classes, and he put a lot of odd people in position that have no prior experience or education in. But, we are in a climate where people don't want to deal with another politician. 

I agree with you on all of this.  Especially the 3rd bolded words, him putting a lot of people that have no prior experience in positions or education in on his staff.

I'll give him time too.  I also agree that a year is a reasonable time-frame, but I think in 6 months people will start to see how things are going and recognize a trend or a pattern of how he is dealing with things.

He has back pedal some stuff he said during his running. 

I agree.

Heard he signed some laws just recently, but I have no clue what those laws really were. 

Apparently Trump has signed a bunch of executive orders right off the top.

Here is what the president has signed for already:

https://mic.com/articles/166291/donald-trump-s-executive-orders-here-s-what-the-president-has-signed-so-far#.dG4JLZwMt

Everything the Trump administration has done so far:

http://fox59.com/2017/01/23/a-list-of-everything-the-trump-administration-has-done-so-far/

I predict in about 6 months to a year, a LOT of people who voted for Trump are going to be scraping those campaign bumper stickers off their vehicles under cover of night......

At least scraper sales will go up, right?

18 hours ago, Flash said:

I hope Gwyneth Paltrow stuffs a jade egg up his ass. 

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I googled Gwyneth Paltrow and....lol! 

2 hours ago, DopamineSick said:

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I googled Gwyneth Paltrow and....lol! 

I didn't either until now ... LOL