CrazyBoards.org

ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy) For Intractable Bipolar II Depression

I've been in an episode of moderate/severe depression for about three years, and I've tried so many medications - some failures, some partial successes but eventual failures - that my medical team is recommending that I consider ECT. I've always thought of ECT as something for very severe depression. I've luckily never had to be hospitalized, which makes me think of myself as someone who's not experiencing severe depression exactly...

I've also been told that I'd have to stop taking Lamictal, which does make sense, but I've been on it for seven years and haven't had any kind of serious hypomania since I've been on it, so I'm rather attached to it.

Does anyone have experience with ECT as a treatment for intractable depression; depression that isn't responding to medications?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I don't have personal experience...I was offered ect many times while I was hospitalized but I refused...but there were many people in that hospital who were using it and quite a few swore by it said it changed their lives.

I don't have personal experience with ECT, but maybe one of the mods can move this to the ECT forum?

I think you will get a lot more responses that way.

Hi  I had ECT done last spring.  I didn't have stop my anti-seizure med (trileptal) but before I had treatments I didn't take lithium as it could confusion and delerium waking up from sedation. Over all I think it helped me after first but a word to the wise: I don't know about you but the whole experience made me realize that depression has many more layers than just brain chemistry. I was so enfeebled at the beginning I could barely find way down the corridor to the hospital to find the ECT clinic. As I began to "wake up"  the various aspects of my life that I had been dissociating from due to PTSD I could no longer ignore. And the stress of that made me manic and then I idiotically drank, and became more manic than I have ever been in my life. Anyway, I think it really could help but I strongly suggest you work with a doctor who understands you and your moods, and to keep track of what is happening yourself. So it isn't a total free for all. I think all the stuff about memory is an exaggeration. I did tell stories over and over again. But I remembered what people said and words usually. Topamax (what I'm taking now) is much worse for all of that.

I have had this suggested for me in a similar circumstances. The family doctor who suggested it had a daughter with BPII and she had one sided ECT and it helped her so much she was able to go to med school after. I told my pdoc I wanted it but she said it isn't indicated unless there is an immediate threat to life and no alternative. I was just kind of languishing in my bed, to tired to hurt myself so...

@mcjimjam sorry to hear that your pdoc reacted this way to the suggestion - my understanding is that it's indicated for someone who's treatment resistant, which (for unipolar depression) is defined as not responding to adequate courses of treatment with 2 different antidepressants. I suppose it depends on the practice you're at as well as maybe your geographic location...

I am bipolar and had ECTs for my intractable depression that lasted about 5 years. It was a complete lifesaver for me. I do have to say it came at a cost, I lost significant memory, but there were reasons why it was maybe worse than the usual person. When giving ECTs (bipolar, meaning both sides of the brain were shocked) the doctor did what he called an initial series of ECTs 3 times a week for 3 weeks, a total of 9. This is where most people stop. I felt better and stopped, but in about a month was bad again, so they repeated the initial series and then gradually spaced them out until I was getting one every four weeks which lasted for (not sure about this) about 4 1/2 years, this is unusual and probably wouldn't happen to you. So in a relatively short period of time I had a lot of ECTs. Even before that I had a series of unipolar (shocking one side of the brain) ECTs at another hospital that didn't work.

I thought after they had spaced out to every 4 weeks that I was having no more problems with memory. However, after stoping them last February every month it is like another layer of fog is removed from my brain. Now my mind is more clear than it has been for decades. I did not get back the memory I lost, but my mind remembers things now and works better than it has in decades.

From what I understand unipolar ECTs do not effect memory as much, but they didn't work for me. So you have to weigh the risks. For me, even after losing significant memory, it was well worth it. (The great majority would not lose memory to the extent I did) I would be dead without it and now I am living a satisfying life. I would echo meltymelt that you work with someone as the waking up from depression is not necessarily a clean and easy process. After living in deep depression for years I had forgotten what it was like to not be depressed and it was an adjustment shifting the habits of my mind and body.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By troop111
      Greetings,
      I recently had the initial 6 treatments of Ketamine infusions, and that helped my Bipolar II depression (which is treatment-resistant) for about two weeks. Then I had another booster infusion, and that held for a week, then I had another booster infusion, and that lasted a week. These "boosters" shouldn't have to be given more than once every 1-3 months, yet it seems I need one weekly.
      So the Ketamine failed to provide prolonged relief.
      My only other option now is Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), which I don't want to do. I know it's gotten better vis-a-vis memory issue side-effects, but I just don't want to do it. I don't like the idea of having my brain electrocuted (however little the electrical charge), and I don't like even the idea of me potentially losing cherished memories.
      My question: If I had such a poor experience with the Ketamine, needing weekly boosters, does that bode poorly for ECT therapy? I know ECT also frequently requires "boosters." I don't want to have to go in weekly for an ECT booster. I'm tired.
      I've been through the ringer for the past 16 years. I'm just tired of trying to get better. I'm tired and worn down.
      Please share your experiences and insights, I'd much appreciate it.
      Thanks!
      Troop
    • By troop111
      Greetings,
      I have been struggling with my Bipolar II depression for years, and am now going to pursue ECT due to my being medication resistant. I take 250mg/day of Lamictal (an anticonvulsant), 12mg/day of Valium, and an anti-depressant.
      I had a consultation with the ECT doctor, and he said that not only will my Lamictal make it difficult for him to induce a proper seizure, which I was already aware of, but that Valium, a benzodiazepine, also prevents seizures. I never knew that, but apparently paramedics use a benzodiazepine nose spray for people having seizures.
      So I got hit with two barrels when I was only expecting one: Not only will the Lamictal hinder ECT, but so will my Valium, a benzodiazepine.
      I have hyper-withdrawal syndrome, so I can't just drop the Lamictal (which stopped working years ago) and begin ECT. I'm also at a good Valium dose which I don't want to mess with. The doctor will have to increase the electric charge sent to my brain (as relative to someone not on two drugs that prevent convulsions) in order to induce a seizure.
      I'm understandably wary of having electricity sent through my brain, but given my particular circumstances, I have nothing left to lose. But as stated above, a larger-than-normal charge of electricity will need to be used. I worry that such a high voltage could have lifelong negative side effects, like chronic migraines for instance. Have studies even been done using such potentially high electric charges in modern ECT therapy and what kind of unknown dangers that could elicit?
      Bipolar patients usually have an AC in their med regiment, as well as a benzo of some kind, and I'm sure lots of people with treatment-resistant BP II depression have had ECT. How did they do it? The doctor also said that as treatment continues (Mon, Wed, Fri. for a couple weeks) even a normal person not on seizure-inhibiting drugs has to have the voltage increased with each treatment, as if the brain develops a type of tolerance to the procedures.
      For the sake of simplicity, let's say the voltage scale is from 1-10, with 1 being the typical charge sent into an ECT patient's brain who's not taking two drugs that inhibit seizures. As stated above, the doctor told me it's not uncommon to have to increase the voltage for a regular person not on the drugs I'm on as treatment progresses. Well, I'm taking 250mg of Lamictal and 12mg of Valium daily. For me, let's say instead of 1 voltage, it takes 4 for the first procedure. By the time the entire ECT regiment is finished, let's suppose a regular person will have ended up on a voltage charge of 5. For me, with my seizure-inhibiting drugs, let's say I end up at a 10+ voltage charge. That's what I'm afraid of. Relatively (in the modern sense) untested ECT territory and its effects on the brain.
      I'm aware of the side effects for ECT for regular people, and I'm not bothered. Like I said, I need help desperately. But in my case, essentially taking TWO anticonvulsants, could my brain be permanently damaged by electric charges that could end up being substantially greater than 95% of people who have this procedure done? Do I need to worry that I'll develop side effects, potentially lifelong? Side effects/damage that would be very rare for someone receiving normal, low-voltage charges? Chronic migraines, ticks, general cognitive defects, noticeable loss in creative ability, writing ability, etc. I'll be receiving high-voltage charges, potentially much higher charges than 95% of people who undergo ECT. And as like normal patients, each treatment should require an ever-increasing charge to induce the seizure.
      What should I think about all of this? What should I do?
      I'm in an acute depressive state right now, so treatment may begin in just days. Any help is much appreciated.
      Thanks!
      Troop
    • By crumbleandglow
      Hello, everyone!
      I'm a long-time lurker and I have finally decided to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I with psychotic features 14 years ago; since then, I've weathered nasty manic episodes and mixed states, three hospitalizations, failed whole classes of drugs (over 50 meds, many tried multiple times). As it turns out, as I'm sure is the case for many of you, medication just doesn't work that well for me. I responded reasonably well on Lithobid (generic lithium does jack shit, go figure) for years, though recently it seems to have lost some of its efficacy (increasing the dosage just makes me violently ill) and some of the old neuroleptics (gave me bad EPS- Cogentin didn't help), but I'm always a little symptomatic, even at my most stable. Up until recently, I've coped with residual craziness (intrusive thoughts, excess energy, agitation) with cardio- long-distance running, swimming, kickboxing- and by dumping all of my energy into my full-time job (that I love) and school (I'm working on my MLIS part-time). I have a great psychiatrist who has really tried to come up with creative solutions, including off-label treatments. I was never resistant to the idea of meds; they have just failed me.
      I'm really here, though, because I am on SDI after a 6-month manic episode that began at the end of last summer and ended with me paranoid, delusional, sleepless, and broke (I'm sure this situation sounds familiar to many of you). After trying Vraylar, which actually seemed beneficial (brought me back to earth, thanks!) but gave me such bad dysphagia that I was waking in the middle of the night feeling like I was being waterboarded by my own saliva, my psychiatrist is pushing me to do a course of ECT. I actually had the Vraylar compounded out of desperation to see if the dysphagia was dose-related, but it was as bad at .25mg as it was at 1.5, and I can't go through life choking on food.
      I am sick and tired of the med-go-round and ready for ECT; I've combed PubMed for studies and read patient testimonials and after everything I've been through with medication, I honestly don't see how it can possibly be any worse. I hate not being able to work, I hate how selfish and self-involved I am when I'm unwell, I hate not being able to read. I hate that I had to drop out of school for the semester. At this point, I'm willing to try anything if there is even a small chance that I will be able to regain my independence. 
      I have always liked this board for its raw honesty and sense of community. I'm going through an especially difficult time with this illness and I want to be around others who understand. I hope you will have me.