Alien Navel Cord

Why!! I'm only in my late 30's!

15 posts in this topic

So I started going grey at age 17 and now I am salt & pepper. Mostly salt lol... but the brown makes it look like blonde highlights from far away. I have  a babyface but it is starting to show wrinkles. I'm 37 years old, shouldn't that happen a little later on in life? My hair once full of body, is now greasy and limp. I had to shave it the other day. It was getting icky. My soft supple skin has turned dry and flaky.

Do you go through menopause early ever? I wonder if mine will come sooner than usual, because of these changes. Or are these changes I'm seeing just normal? Shouldn't I be too young still to have this problem?

I started going bald at 18 and by 25 my hair was also salt-and-pepper. The hair going grey bothered me most because there are a lot of guys who are going bald in their 20s but few who are grey. Unfortunately, it is genetic and not much we can do about it.

I should also add, as a female it is very unnerving that my hair is falling out and thinning at a rapid pace...

I've had two different meds that caused hair loss. Both have been stopped for quite some time, but the hair isn't growing back, something my dermatologist told me was a distinct possibility. It sucks.

On 1/17/2017 at 11:00 AM, Alien Navel Cord said:

I should also add, as a female it is very unnerving that my hair is falling out and thinning at a rapid pace...

It could be medication induced hair loss--In your case, I would guess lamactil as the most likely culprit, although some of your other meds have it as a "rare" side effect.

If you google "lamactil hair loss" you will find plenty of examples, but be warned, your doctor might deny that it's the medicine, even though they really don't know for sure.....

I personally have never experienced hair loss from any of my meds, but it is possible.

Hair loss is very traumatic, especially for women...I know because I lost plenty after the birth of my daughter.....It is called post-partum hair loss, and is fairly common after childbirth....My hair all grew back, but it took almost a year to return to normal.

Also have you had your thyroid and iron levels checked?...Those could be a factor.

Seeing a dermatologist for an exact diagnosis might be helpful, too.

Concerning menopause, at what age did your mom experience full menopause?..... Medically speaking, you're considered fully menopausal if you've had no cycles for a year.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

You can definitely go through perimenapause in your later 30's.  it's the first phase of menopause.

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

It could be medication induced hair loss--In your case, I would guess lamactil as the most likely culprit, although some of your other meds have it as a "rare" side effect.

If you google "lamactil hair loss" you will find plenty of examples, but be warned, your doctor might deny that it's the medicine, even though they really don't know for sure.....

I personally have never experienced hair loss from any of my meds, but it is possible.

Hair loss is very traumatic, especially for women...I know because I lost plenty after the birth of my daughter.....It is called post-partum hair loss, and is fairly common after childbirth....My hair all grew back, but it took almost a year to return to normal.

Also have you had your thyroid and iron levels checked?...Those could be a factor.

Seeing a dermatologist for an exact diagnosis might be helpful, too.

Concerning menopause, at what age did your mom experience it?..... Menopause at your age is pretty rare.

Yeah I think it's the lamictal, too... when I switch to Lithium in a few weeks I found out that it causes hair loss as well so I am doomed. I've had all my thyroid and iron checked a few months ago and everything was good to go. 

Menopause.. hmm I think she had it in her late 40's and early 50's. I'm just 37.5 years old so I shouldn't be going through that probably. But jeez. I do get hot flashes, they suck. I've always had them though, even as a kid.

37 minutes ago, TakeAChillPill said:

You can definitely go through perimenapause in your later 30's.  it's the first phase of menopause.

pre-menopause? yikes, what does that entail? I'd never heard of it before.

Wow with menopause's mood swings, what would that be like for someone who's bipolar???

I've been putting hydrating cream on my face at night before bed but I'm still a dragon in the morning. I think it may be the dry air though. I live in the Southwest of the USA where the air is very dry. I am originally from the Pacific northwest of the country so maybe my skin isn't used to it. 

I lose hair on numerous meds-- Topamax, Tegretol, Lamictal, lithium, Fetzima, Wellbutrin, et al.  It's a bummer, but I hear that stability is a pretty great thing...

I made it to my late 30's and thought balding was no longer an issue. Then it hit me. I was not on meds at the time, it was just heredity. 

Meds and thyroid problems caused hair loss for me. I noticed a lot of improvement and even a little bit of of hair growth when I started talking multivitamins. It's worth a try.

Regarding the hair loss, I found a few things that helped when I had postpartum hair loss after daughter's birth:

.........Don't use a brush to de-tangle, only a wide tooth comb....Brushes pull out more hair.

..........Don't wash hair as much, maybe 2x or 3x a week at most.

.........Use a sulfate free shampoo .....Shampoos with sulfates cause more hair shed.

........When drying your hair after shampooing, don't use a towel...Just pat it dry gently with a plain cotton tee-shirt.

........Let your hair dry by itself after washing, instead of using a blow dryer, and never use hot styling tools on your hair.

........Take Prenatal Vitamins (vitamins for pregnant women)....They are excellent for hair....Centrum Silver Vitamins are good, also......Check with p-doc first about the vitamins though, to make sure they don't interact with your meds.

I have never personally experienced medication-induced hair loss, but the above should at least help some.....It's worth a try anyway....

Edited by CrazyRedhead
1 person likes this

On 2/23/2017 at 0:24 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

Regarding the hair loss, I found a few things that helped when I had postpartum hair loss after daughter's birth:

.........Don't use a brush to de-tangle, only a wide tooth comb....Brushes pull out more hair.

..........Don't wash hair as much, maybe 2x or 3x a week at most.

.........Use a sulfate free shampoo .....Shampoos with sulfates cause more hair shed.

........When drying your hair after shampooing, don't use a towel...Just pat it dry gently with a plain cotton tee-shirt.

........Let your hair dry by itself after washing, instead of using a blow dryer, and never use hot styling tools on your hair.

........Take Prenatal Vitamins (vitamins for pregnant women)....They are excellent for hair....Centrum Silver Vitamins are good, also......Check with p-doc first about the vitamins though, to make sure they don't interact with your meds.

I have never personally experienced medication-induced hair loss, but the above should at least help some.....It's worth a try anyway....

Thank you for the tips I will try them!

1 person likes this

On 1/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, Alien Navel Cord said:

at what age did your mom experience it?

I wanted to ask this same question.. I have a friend whose grandma had menopause until 61.. no joke, and her mother is 59 and she still has her period. She is pissed off because she thinks she will inherit those genes .As far as hair loss goes, it could be many things as people stated above. My mom has thin and short hair since her early 20's and my dad is bald.. I have pretty long and thick hair and I am on Topamax and Lamictal, But I do notice I have lost thickness. I know a lot of people who go grey at your age and even at 17. Are you drinking enough water? And this sounds dumb.. but sometimes stressing about it can make it worse. 

I am not sure how much you can afford or what your insurance covers but there is a lot of skin rejuvenation creams at dermatologists.

I feel for you, it's hard.