iaawal

Video ads on CB - help. I don't want to turn on adblock

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

CB is one of the few sites I have adblock turned off. These last few days a video ad (something about gentlemen) keeps playing over and over even after I pause it. It just restarts. The sound is off so that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that it makes the site unusable. I can't scroll up if it's playing and it won't stop playing!! If I manage to scroll up it just drags me back down.

I don't know how to make it stop. It's annoying. It's not on every page but it keeps popping up everywhere all the time. I just turned on adblock on CB but I don't want to keep it on. 

Help?

THANK YOU!!! I am having a hard time with the same thing.  I thought it was just me.

Not sure what was causing it.  I can't even pause the video ads, so the pages keep scrolling to the bottom ever few seconds.  It is very hard to post.

Happens to me on every page.

@iaawal How do you turn on adblock?

You might want to write down here the exact ad that is causing the problem and also what html address the ad points to, otherwise VE can't do much about it.

@melissaw72 I think adblock was something I downloaded a while back. I googled adblock for chrome and at the top of the browser I get a little icon that's either red (ads are blocked) or green (ads not blocked) so to turn it on for CB I clicked the green icon and selected the option to disable the ads.

@jt07 Okay, jt. I will make sure to do that when I get home. Didn't think of that when I posted this! oops. :)  

If you can click on the add and get me the URL I can block it.

Just now, Velvet Elvis said:

If you can click on the add and get me the URL I can block it.

Cool. Thanks VE. I'll probably get home in a few hours so I will do this then.

Thanks VE!

Just now, Velvet Elvis said:

OK.  It should be gone within 24 hours.

I am pretty sure I got it this time.  If this happens again, can you check and see if it's the same in a different browser?

@Velvet Elvis I use CB at work on Firefox and I don't have adblock. I've never had a problem with video ads on Firefox in private browsing. At home I use chrome and that's where I've experienced these problems. 

Not sure what browser @melissaw72 uses.

6 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

I am pretty sure I got it this time.  If this happens again, can you check and see if it's the same in a different browser?

Sure ... will do my best.

@iaawal  I use firefox, and do not have adblock either.  I've never had a problem with private browsing.  It seems to be only certain video sites on CB. I don't think they all cause the page to continuously scroll to the bottom, just some.

Before, it was one video ad effecting the entire site for me, so I couldn't post anywhere.

Now it seems like it is where it will continuously scroll to the bottom of the page, but when I go to another page (on CB), without the video ad, it is fine, no problems. 

Thanks @Velvet Elvis