CrazyBoards.org

jacques

Meds to help bipolar insomnia?

Long story short, my prescribing doctor wanted to put me on something to help me sleep but I didn't want the medication because I didn't think I had as much of a problem there as I now realize I do. I get to see her again today and want to possibly talk about this, on top of my symptoms of course.

My question, though, is whether I'd need to take the sleeping meds every night or only when I need them. Or would it depend on the medication?

I hope I put this in the right place! I did some googling and benzos are what came up to most commonly help bipolar insomnia, but feel free to move it if there's a better place for this question.

Not just benzos - There is a wide array of sleep meds. What your doctor decides to put you on is going to depend on her and what she thinks is best. Also, whether you have to take them every night or PRN really is going to depend on both the med and your doctor.

I've had bipolar for many years. The last 5 I've had a terrible problem with sleep,even though I take my bipolar meds. My doctor has tried several things for sleep,but nothing worked. Recently he tried Restporil,it is amazing! I finally sleep all night,8 to 9hrs. The next morning I don't feel hung over,actually I don't feel like I took anything. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 6:14 AM, jacques said:

Long story short, my prescribing doctor wanted to put me on something to help me sleep but I didn't want the medication because I didn't think I had as much of a problem there as I now realize I do. I get to see her again today and want to possibly talk about this, on top of my symptoms of course.

My question, though, is whether I'd need to take the sleeping meds every night or only when I need them. Or would it depend on the medication?

I hope I put this in the right place! I did some googling and benzos are what came up to most commonly help bipolar insomnia, but feel free to move it if there's a better place for this question.

Try taking it every night for a month, and then try it without and see what happens. Sometimes it can reset your sleep cycle and you won't need it anymore, or only occasionally.

6 hours ago, Dphxa said:

I think you mean Restoril.  It isn't the medicine for everyone, but I am glad to hear it is working well for you.

Yes that's correct,Restoril. I'm a terrible speller,please forgive me. That is very true,not all meds are for everyone. I do hope it continues to work well for me. Thanks.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a big part of my bipolar is sleep issues. I tried all the usual players...ambien, lunesta, melatonin, Benadryl. Restoring didn't work either buy IME the benzos are the best for sleep, I stay up all night without them