Butterflykisses

Clozaril Experiences

6 posts in this topic

Hi All!

So as I mentioned in my blog, my pdoc is starting me on Clozaril next week after she gets my blood work results in. I would like it if I could hear some experiences on it?

1. What dose did you start on? (My pdoc is starting me off on 12.5 two times daily for a few days)

2. What were the most noted side effects you experienced?

3.Did you notice an improvement in your psychosis, if so, how far into treatment?

4. Are you currently taking clozaril and what is your dose?

5. What is your diagnosis for being put on clozaril?

 

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**I just want to say that what happened to me was a YMMV thing.  Just personal experience.

 

6 hours ago, Butterflykisses said:

Hi All!

So as I mentioned in my blog, my pdoc is starting me on Clozaril next week after she gets my blood work results in. I would like it if I could hear some experiences on it?

1. What dose did you start on? (My pdoc is starting me off on 12.5 two times daily for a few days)

2. What were the most noted side effects you experienced?

3.Did you notice an improvement in your psychosis, if so, how far into treatment?

4. Are you currently taking clozaril and what is your dose?

5. What is your diagnosis for being put on clozaril?

1.  12.5 mg was the original dose I started out with.

2.  From day 1, my eating got out of control, and my sleep got all messed up. (and those symptoms never went away when I stopped taking it a couple months later.  I've had those side effects since 2006, when I started it).  Also caused sedation and eventually my WBC count went to almost 0 ... which was why I had to stop taking it.

3.  No, there was no improvement with psychosis.

4.  No, not currently on clozaril.

5.  My diagnosis was SZA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

**I just want to say that what happened to me was a YMMV thing.  Just personal experience.

 

1.  12.5 mg was the original dose I started out with.

2.  From day 1, my eating got out of control, and my sleep got all messed up. (and those symptoms never went away when I stopped taking it a couple months later.  I've had those side effects since 2006, when I started it).  Also caused sedation and eventually my WBC count went to almost 0 ... which was why I had to stop taking it.

3.  No, there was no improvement with psychosis.

4.  No, not currently on clozaril.

5.  My diagnosis was SZA. 

thanks Melissa for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it. I can only hope for the best at this point.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just my experience. Simply put, clozapine saved my life. It reduced my psychotic symptoms by I'd say 80% at least and I noticed it really helped my mood (even though most articles about this drug focus on its role in treating psychosis). I am very functional and social now that I'm on clozapine. That said, it is a pain in the ass when you first take it because of the blood tests. My main side effect was being extremely sedated. Like sleeping 12 or more hours. Finally my pdoc put me on adderall and that has helped a lot. I hope it works for you. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Butterflykisses said:

thanks Melissa for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it. I can only hope for the best at this point.

I hope it helps you ... despite my bad experience about it, it has worked so well for so many people, and I hope you are one of them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started taking it a few weeks ago.

I was started on 25 mg.

So far, the main side effects are extreme sedation and high blood sugar (I'm already diabetic.) My doctors are working together trying to bring down my blood sugar numbers by doing more insulin, so that I can keep taking the Clozaril. 

I am noticing a major improvement. My family and I can both see it. I could see some change after a week.

I am taking 100 mg now, but when my blood sugar is more in control it might be increased.

My dx is either schizoaffective or schizophrenia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now