confused

Does anyone speak socialsecurityese?

10 posts in this topic

I will call Tues, but was wondering if anyone could help. I am having trouble deciphering a letter.

the first paragraph ends with "our review shows that your payments will continue. This is because your work is not substantial as of October 2016."

but, the 3rd paragraph says "we have not decided if you can still get disability payments." And examples of more info I could provide. 

the he letter ends with an explanation of the extended period of eligibility.

"your first month of sga was Seot 2016, so we paid you for sept, October and November 2016. We will continue to pay you as your work is no longer sga".

You're right, that is very confusing ... definitely worth a call on Tuesday. 

Also, after calling and getting an answer, I would ask them to send you a new letter/form/whatever stating what the right information is so there is no confusion in the future.

that doesn't sound like ese, that sounds like someone dumped the wrong paragraph in the wrong  letter.  i can't say which one is accurate (though you might know), but it sems like  it's either A or it's B, but it can't be both.

IMO, the only way to clear this up and have peace of mind is to call them, which you said you would do, anyway........What a confusing letter!!....I would be having anxiety big time if I got a letter like that..

Hope you can get it cleared up soon.......:)

Well, the call was no help. There was no record of the letter in the system, but everything is the same as far as payments. 

7 hours ago, confused said:

Well, the call was no help. There was no record of the letter in the system, but everything is the same as far as payments. 

(bold)  That is what matters. 

I'm glad everything got taken care of!

I agree with melissa....If your payments are still coming in, you're good to go......:)

I did get a response. They said they would have stopped my payments after I ran through my trial work months, but since I am not making sga now they are still paying.

I don't have to do anything, just update them if anything changes.

If you do end up earning more than the SGA for your months (I forget how many it is now), be aware they may not actually get around to stopping your payments right away. It took them quite a long time to stop my payments and I kept them in a form of escrow because I knew I'd have to pay them back. In spite of me telling them SEVERAL times that I should no longer be receiving payments because I was back at work.