CrazyBoards.org

Steve223

I Lost It On A Telemarketer Yesterday

This telemarketer called me for the umpteenth time and I rejected the call with a message that just said, "go f yourself, you f'ing piece of shit'...... well at least, they did FINALLY stop calling me :) Although, I have to say I felt bad about being such a jerk to the guy.  The guy was just like anybody else doing their job, even though telemarketers do annoy the hell out of me.  Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I lost it when a telemarketer called me.  It really does piss me off, especially when it's in the morning and the call wakes me up.

I don't let them get a word in edgewise. Talk right over the top of whatever they're saying, same thing every time: "I'm not interested. Take me off of your call list. Thanks, bye." Always clearly specify "Take me off your call list."

If it's someone calling for money, just say "I don't accept telephone solicitations, and you've already mailed me something. Please take me off your list. Thanks, bye."

12 minutes ago, crtclms said:

I just hang up without saying anything.

I had one call me back to hang up on me 😄

Edited by confused

I agree with everyone on the telemarketers.

When I get a call from a number I have no idea of who it is (caller ID), I pick up the phone and hang up all within 1 second. 

At one point there was one telemarketer who was calling every day, sometimes 3x/day.  What got me going was that whoever these people were, one day they called 3 times in a row ...2:29 PM, 2:32 PM, then 2:40 PM (per caller ID).  For that particular number and to have been called 3 times in a row like that, I tried calling that number back but it was one (was clearly a telemarketer) who I couldn't get through to anyone. 

Had I started writing down every number who called me that I didn't know, when it all began like 5-6 years ago, there would have been a lot of duplicate phone numbers, as well as a long list of different numbers.

So instead of me slamming down the phone on the coffee table anymore, I pick up and hang up within a second.  Have never had a problem since then.

A lot of times I receive calls with the heavy breathing or no noise on the other end also.

Uh... do your phones not have the capability to block numbers?

I don't have a landline - instead, I use a mobile. It allows for me to block numbers. If a telemarketer calls, I just block it. And then I never need to deal with them again :)

Why put yourself through the aggro of needing to deal with it?

I have a huge list of blocked numbers on my mobile and the app distributes a list of known spammers or telemarketers. I used to block unknown or anonymous calls but I discovered Medicaid uses these to call you back.

Yeah, I can't use the block unknown numbers feature effectively either, because all of my doctors' offices and the pharmacy I use have multiple phone lines, as do quite a few other official sorts of business I need to be able to reach me.

I don't have a smart phone or whatever ... I use a landline.  I can't block numbers in any ways that I know of.

Call Blocking it is a service offered to landline customers, for a fee, by the telephone providers. You get to block a certain number of phone numbers.

It is worth it to browse your landline providers website. Mine allows me to block 10 numbers for 90 days for free.

I've been trying a different approach (picking up and very politely saying that we're not interested, can they please take us off of their calling list, etc - I don't like being rude to telemarketers, I know it's a shitty job). If it's a robocall I just hang up, but I haven't seen too many of those. Results have been mixed so far even though >50% will actually comply (which isn't too bad). There's a police charity organization that is the absolute worst though, they keep on calling us and won't listen when you ask them to stop. They called today and the guy pitching the charity just would not fucking listen to me until I had repeated myself a half-dozen times. I doubt that we're off their list even after that. We're on the do-not-call registry and everything, but apparently that's not enough. I'm going to report these idiots if they call again.

I know we have call blocking of some sort available with our service already, but I don't see the point of manually blocking numbers when you have a dozen different telemarketers calling you, many of them from frequently-changing numbers. I need to see if there's any chronic offenders using the same numbers though, maybe I'll try blocking them after all. Thanks @notloki!

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Call Blocking it is a service offered to landline customers, for a fee, by the telephone providers. You get to block a certain number of phone numbers.

It is worth it to browse your landline providers website. Mine allows me to block 10 numbers for 90 days for free.

For me, I'm talking about maybe (if for one month, about 30 different numbers, if not more).

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Mine allows me to block 10 numbers for 90 days for free.

What happens after the 90 days?  Do they get unblocked?

1 hour ago, JustNuts said:

We're on the do-not-call registry and everything, but apparently that's not enough.

I am too.  Doesn't help, at least for me.

1 hour ago, JustNuts said:

but I don't see the point of manually blocking numbers when you have a dozen different telemarketers calling you, many of them from frequently-changing numbers.

I agree.

I had a core group of about 20-30 callers, most of them a repetes. When their name pops up I have a button to block them,. It is no effort to use. These numbers are shared among users of the app. Other users rate numbers as sales calls or other things so I get to preview the call without picking up the line.  After a few days the sales call drop to nothing. I even get to play a message for them. Telling them you have blocked them often gets you off the list and gives you the chance to say the important "Take me off your list". Once a week or so I get a caller who has changed their number, if I het any calls.

I once had a caller reply to "Take me off your list" with "Send me $100

Telemarketers rely on people's natural politeness and unwillingness to be rude. When I get a telemarketer on the phone I just hang up. Is it rude? Yes. But that person rudely came into my house uninvited and started a spiel. I'm not interested and even if I were interested, I have no idea whether it is a scam or not.

4 hours ago, San said:

I trained as a telemarketer, here's a little secret. They don't care if you scream at them, because the longer you keep them on the phone (connected) the higher quality score they get. Seriously. The longer your phone call average is, you are considered a better employee. So if you are having a bad day and a telemarketer calls, scream at them, don't swear because they have to hang up on you after the second one (warning after first, hang up after second) but rant away. Keep 'em on for an hour. They won't have to be selling shit they hate and whatnot, and it'll boost their average phone call time.

I'm not even joking a bit. Seriously, hanging up is taking food off their table.

And I've actually, on Reddit, seen threads of telemarketers (all former) that have said the exact same thing. Keep the person on the line no matter what. Discuss the weather, hand the phone to your toddler, go take a dump. It works, Then they don't have to do their shitty fucking job!

(I really, really hate call centre's and telemarketing, have worked tech and outbound. I would rather roll in honey and sit in fire ants than do either job again. I was fired from tech support, and quit telemarketing)

I'm happy to be polite and ask to be removed. I'm not happy to waste more than a few minutes of my time.

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Telemarketers rely on people's natural politeness and unwillingness to be rude. When I get a telemarketer on the phone I just hang up. Is it rude? Yes. But that person rudely came into my house uninvited and started a spiel. I'm not interested and even if I were interested, I have no idea whether it is a scam or not.

Good point, but I prefer to try to communicate the fact that I'm not interested so don't bother calling back (because they will often call back if you hang up). Same issue if you don't pick up. I finally got around to looking through the past week or so of missed calls and immediately blocked two numbers that were obviously too problematic to leave alone. Unfortunately I have a limit of up to 10 blocked numbers at a time (why??? we pay faaarrrr too much money for this landline and we get a lousy limit of 10 blocked numbers in return? seriously?) so I decided to wait on blocking anything more for now, but as one of the now-blocked numbers had been calling literally every day, it's going to be nice to have at least one less daily telemarketing call (or two if the other number continues calling back).

5 hours ago, notloki said:

I had a core group of about 20-30 callers, most of them a repetes. When their name pops up I have a button to block them,. It is no effort to use. These numbers are shared among users of the app. Other users rate numbers as sales calls or other things so I get to preview the call without picking up the line.  After a few days the sales call drop to nothing. I even get to play a message for them. Telling them you have blocked them often gets you off the list and gives you the chance to say the important "Take me off your list". Once a week or so I get a caller who has changed their number, if I het any calls.

I once had a caller reply to "Take me off your list" with "Send me $100

oh, ok ... thanks for explaining that.  That is great you have a button to block numbers as their name pops up!

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

My feelings also.

48 minutes ago, nervousbat said:

Yeah, like everyone else has said, I hang up on them within the first second of silence because I don't want to deal with them. 

LOL I don't even give them that 1 second of silence.

44 minutes ago, JustNuts said:

I'm happy to be polite and ask to be removed. I'm not happy to waste more than a few minutes of my time.

(in bold) Same.

• Like 1