CrazyBoards.org

5 hours ago, DopamineSick said:

I once got off benzos by taking librium. It was the first benzo ever, is used for alcohol detox, and has an extremely long half life. Using valium is the same idea, of course. There's a thing called the Ashton Manual that gives specific schedules for tapering benzos. It's worth a look. 

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

actual tapering schedules are here:

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

Thanks for the link to the manual. I've come across the Ashton Manual schedules before, specifically the 4mg Xanax a day to Valium taper schedule, but never actually discussed it in detail with my doctor or tried to seriously talk about it as a possible treatment plan/option. I am going to take a closer look at these taper schedules and print one or two to take to my next dr appointment this Friday, see if we can implement and follow a specific taper schedule. I kind of am worried about the higher dosage of Valium you have to transition over to up to 50-70mg Valium a day, you usually don't hear of physicians prescribing Valium in dosages even close to this. I mean isn't the max dose tablet formulation 10mg? Meaning at some point I would need a prescription for almost 200 10mg Valium tablets in just one month, and different dosages i.e. 5mg tablets as well as 10mg tablets. Wouldn't my health insurance deny coverage for more than 1 prescription for Valium if it's within the same month? They already send my doctor a 3-page letter disclosing "concerning medication duplicates" and to "reassess treatment options to reduce polypharmacy" because I was being prescribed Valium and Xanax every month since July 2017

8 hours ago, mmaryland said:

Thanks for the link to the manual. I've come across the Ashton Manual schedules before, specifically the 4mg Xanax a day to Valium taper schedule, but never actually discussed it in detail with my doctor or tried to seriously talk about it as a possible treatment plan/option. I am going to take a closer look at these taper schedules and print one or two to take to my next dr appointment this Friday, see if we can implement and follow a specific taper schedule. I kind of am worried about the higher dosage of Valium you have to transition over to up to 50-70mg Valium a day, you usually don't hear of physicians prescribing Valium in dosages even close to this. I mean isn't the max dose tablet formulation 10mg? Meaning at some point I would need a prescription for almost 200 10mg Valium tablets in just one month, and different dosages i.e. 5mg tablets as well as 10mg tablets. Wouldn't my health insurance deny coverage for more than 1 prescription for Valium if it's within the same month? They already send my doctor a 3-page letter disclosing "concerning medication duplicates" and to "reassess treatment options to reduce polypharmacy" because I was being prescribed Valium and Xanax every month since July 2017

Hmm, I wish I had a good answer to your question, but I simply don't regarding the "polypharmacy" thing. Maybe if your doctor told them the reason for prescribing both, they'd be OK with it. At the very minimum, bringing one of these schedules in would be a good conversation starter. It would be nice if that site had a conversion "calculator" where you put in your daily dose of xanax and it gives you a plan using different benzos like librium as well as valium. How much xanax are you taking each day?

I've been on 10 of Valium x4 and 1 of Ativan x4 together and it managed to slip thru. Currently take Xanax XR and ir and have halcion. That's 3 benzos with no issue ...guess it depends on insurance 

Posted (edited)

I have a benzo as PRN.   I avoid taking it if possible.  Its like the big guns.  I also have 100MG of seroquel I can take PRN.  That has helped a lot with anxiety and hypo states.  I also take seroquel at night. I dont abuse these, i guess I dont get high so it isnt attractive. 

I was given gabapentin to help me get off opiates.   I guess it helped the cravings but I didn't know it.  It blocks dopamine centers basically helping you chill out so you can quit. I am currently opiate free. 

I have gotten high off gabapentin.   I am an addict and of course had to try it.   

I hear over and over that for some its great and others not so much.

It is used in so many ways,  Anti Seizure, neuropathic pain, drug withdrawal, depression and I bet there is more. 

Nothing to lose if you ask your Pdoc about it.  

Just saw the date of this post.  By now I am sure you have seen your Pdoc

Edited by dragonfly23

There is nothing wrong with dependence. it is inevitable if you take them every day for months. Dependence causes no health deficits.