leadinglady

Getting high from gabapentin

39 posts in this topic

Yeah mjs is correct, it's not just about feeling drugged or sedated or out of it... It's definitely recreational in high doses.  Doctors are becoming *slightly* more aware of this.  I'm a recovering alcoholic and had my struggles with heroin and crack which doctors knew so never gave me benzos but handed me gabapentin like candy.  I actually preferred gabapentin to benzos to be honest as it enhanced all my drugs of choice greatly and was very strong on its own.  I'd never go near it again, and anyone wiTh a hint of a drug problem shouldn't fool themselves into thinking this is a safe alternative to benzos 

On 3/4/2017 at 11:47 AM, Flash said:

And morphine never made me high, even the first time I took it. 

When I was in hospital for gall stones, my pain was a 10. More like an 11 because I had a stone stuck in the billiary tube. Ouch! Morphine did *nothing* for the pain, nor did it make me goofy in the slightest. Know what they put me on that was stronger than morphine, and had only a slight impact on the pain? Sythentic heroin. Good greif! That freaked me out a bit, when they told me that was what was in my body.

1 hour ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

When I was in hospital for gall stones, my pain was a 10. More like an 11 because I had a stone stuck in the billiary tube. Ouch! Morphine did *nothing* for the pain, nor did it make me goofy in the slightest. Know what they put me on that was stronger than morphine, and had only a slight impact on the pain? Sythentic heroin. Good greif! That freaked me out a bit, when they told me that was what was in my body.

Most likely fentanyl, a standard synthetic opioid used quite often once morphine does not work.

Or dilaudid....which is another more potent than morphine one

My mum took Lyrica once for a back problem and she was so out of it. Swaying and looking all dreamy. She said it was wonderful! I guess it affects some people like that. I found high doses to have a benzodiazepine like effect, made me feel relaxed, tipsy and sleep well.

1 person likes this

Danger! Danger! Last thursday I took 300mg gabapentin and blacked out. I did stupid stuff, apparently, while blacked out and even drove. be careful!

7 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

Danger! Danger! Last thursday I took 300mg gabapentin and blacked out. I did stupid stuff, apparently, while blacked out and even drove. be careful!

Did you take something else with the gabapentin that could have caused that reaction?

On 4/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, melissaw72 said:

Did you take something else with the gabapentin that could have caused that reaction?

Nope just my usual 600mg morning dose of gabapentin. My pdoc stopped me off of that. It was pretty bad. I don't know how it happened or why. I fell asleep at work and someone reported me and I got called into the office and I remember bits and peices of it. My friend tried to get some food into me and I spilled a milkshake in her car. I had her driving all over town for food. It was awful. I behaved like someone who is drunk when they black out. Not fun. 

YMMV but this happened to me and the only thing we could attribute it to was gabapentin. My pdoc said it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

i have been on gabapentin for a long time.. i am 6ft 2 and weigh around 300lbs... the dose for me to get high on this stuff is stupid high... like around 24,000mg... thats 30 600mg pills at once.. i take a high dose daily at 1200mg twice a day... the effects at the 24,000mg dose is no different than taking around 1000mg of lyrica.  

6 hours ago, jeclear said:

i have been on gabapentin for a long time.. i am 6ft 2 and weigh around 300lbs... the dose for me to get high on this stuff is stupid high... like around 24,000mg... thats 30 600mg pills at once.. i take a high dose daily at 1200mg twice a day... the effects at the 24,000mg dose is no different than taking around 1000mg of lyrica.  

Erm... That must be that "new math" I've heard about. Using the "old math", 30 x 600mg = 18,000mg. And a twice-daily 1,200mg dose of gabapentin = 2,400mg, not 24,000mg. So, either a) your daily dose is equivalent to 100mg of lyrica instead of 1,000mg, b) you're taking way more than your daily dosage, c) you suck at math, d) you have no idea what you're saying at all, or e) all of the above.

Posted (edited)

On 3/4/2017 at 9:28 PM, Yuna said:

WATCH OUT! GABAPENTIN CAUSE BAD BAD WITHDRAWAL. I WAS ON 600mg for sleep for 2 years, you will get sick sick when you quit.

I've seen the other posts about gabapentin withdrawal. I'm using it to help give up clonazepam (10 years at 2mg per night and before that 40mg of diazepam per night also for 10 years and a few times before that).

I guess I am replacing one addiction with another? Could gabapentin withdrawal be as bad and hard as benzo withdrawal? I've cold turkeyed off Valium before. Really really really bad... The worst experience of my life and very dangerous, although I knew no better back then. Fool that I am I went back on it.

I'm taking 300-400mg gabapentin per night and have for a few months now. I can't quit that as well as clonazepam.

Edited by matthew beech
Spelling error, added dosage

I was taking 2400 mg of gabapentin a day (800x3). I am currently in the process of going off gabapentin because we've finally identified and addressed the problem that was necessitating the gabapentin. My doctors recommended I drop my dosage gradually and wait at least two weeks before dropping dosage again to give my brain a chance to acclimate. I went from 800x3 to 600x3 with no adverse effects. Since then I've gone from 600x3 to 400x3 and then 300x3, which is my current dose. I haven't had any adverse effects at all.

Quitting gabapentin cold turkey is a really bad idea, for all the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

I tried Gabapentin 300mg once for about a week and at first it made me anxious and kind of depressed.  I would of enjoyed the chillaxed effect but never experienced it.

Gabapentin, and essentially anything that works on GABA receptors, was the argument being put forth, has abuse potential.

But there is a substantial difference between tolerance and addiction, @matthew beech.

Tolerance is a physiological process whereby the body adapts to a substance such that in the absence of that substance physiological withdrawal symptoms occur. Addiction is a psychological process with physiological consequences when a substance is used to escape unpleasantness or gain an altered state of consciousness even so much that it causes problems in living.