CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

Started noticing (just when I go running outside, not everyday) My vision gets incredibly blurry, to where I cannot make out anything beyond like 2 feet in front of me. This is even in nice weather (not cold, windy or wet) and it worries me. Never had this before.

Is this a side effect mainly from Lamictal or Abilify (or both)? I'm a bit concerned I will say - because i read that both meds can contribute to this and Lamictal (in particular) somehow binds to & accumulates in melanin tissues of the eye (researchers at this time don't know the effects of this binding). I thought I read that someone here was losing eyesite from it. yikes.

My questions are (if anyone knows): if Lamictal binds to Melanin in nervous system tissue, is it:
a) long term or permanant?
b) good, bad, or mixed?
c) what diseases or nervous functions would it affect?

Edited by Blahblah

Idk the answers to your questions, but I can IME answer this one:

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Is this a side effect mainly from Lamictal or Abilify (or both)?

I have never had blurry vision when on those meds, and I've always taken them together (since 2003 at least).

How long have you been on both of them?

I hope people can answer your questions ... I can empathize with you worrying about eyes.  I always worry about those too.

I took Lamictal and Abilify together for years without experiencing blurry vision. The anticholinergics can do this, Cogentin, et. al. Some meds cause dry eyes which can lead to blurry vision. This is a good reason to have an eye exam and let a professional decide what is causing it.

I agree with @notloki that it is a good idea to see a professional to really see what is going on, and then let them decide what is causing it.

Lamictal can cause vision side effects like blurry or double vision. I'm not sure if the same is true with Abilify, but I know that many anticonvulsants have this side effect, so thats my guess.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 3:04 AM, Blahblah said:

Started noticing (just when I go running outside, not everyday) My vision gets incredibly blurry, to where I cannot make out anything beyond like 2 feet in front of me. This is even in nice weather (not cold, windy or wet) and it worries me. Never had this before.

Is this a side effect mainly from Lamictal or Abilify (or both)? I'm a bit concerned I will say - because i read that both meds can contribute to this and Lamictal (in particular) somehow binds to & accumulates in melanin tissues of the eye (researchers at this time don't know the effects of this binding). I thought I read that someone here was losing eyesite from it. yikes.

My questions are (if anyone knows): if Lamictal binds to Melanin in nervous system tissue, is it:
a) long term or permanant?
b) good, bad, or mixed?
c) what diseases or nervous functions would it affect?

There's no way to know which med is responsible unless you quit one at a time and leave a few months between quitting one and the other. Psych meds can have weird side effects that are extremely uncommon. But that doesn't mean it's not happening to you. It took me about 9 months to figure out that abilify was the cause of my hair loss.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flash said:

There's no way to know which med is responsible unless you quit one at a time and leave a few months between quitting one and the other. Psych meds can have weird side effects that are extremely uncommon. But that doesn't mean it's not happening to you. It took me about 9 months to figure out that abilify was the cause of my hair loss.

I agree. Just because certain side effects listed as "Uncommon" does not mean that those side effects will not happen to you. Yes, it may be unlikely, but I am a very observant person and when i take any kind of meds or drugs I try to go about it like a Scientist. It may sound a bit OCD, but when your hair starts falling out, your vision is blurred and all the sudden you're bloating up like a balloon, you begin to think OK, if this just started occurring 2 months ago & I started xyz med 2 months ago - You start to put 2 + 2 together. Going down on Lamictal so we'll see if that helps.

I get blurred vision from Lamictal depending on the dose and what other meds I take with it. I think it's a fairly common side effect.

I haven't taken Abilify but I believe all AAP can cause vision problems, so they recommend a yearly or two yearly (can't remember) eye test. I believe This is less common issue and more of a long term risk.

Lamictal gave me blurred vision (confirmed through 3 separate trials of it.)

6 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

I get blurred vision from Lamictal depending on the dose and what other meds I take with it. I think it's a fairly common side effect.

1 hour ago, dtac said:

Lamictal gave me blurred vision (confirmed through 3 separate trials of it.)

Yep pretty sure I think it is the Lamictal, I've lowered it recently...still noticing the side effect.

I just hope it does not screw up my vision if I stay on it longterm....Like, will I only have the blurry vision side effect as long as I take the medication? Too bad because otherwise, it is a very tolerable medication as far as other side effects go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dirkbebe
      Hey all,
      First post here, so I'll get into it. I've been Diagnosed Bi Polar since a late teen. I've had some temporary relief, many doctors and some terrible effects from medication/episodes.
      All in all at the moment I was released from the psych ward several months ago in NC, where i lived on my own for almost 6 years, while now being shipped back to my mom's in VA at age 27.
      I am getting older and am being affected more and more with my Bi-Polar swings, severe anxiety, occasional sounds and negative voices and now anger. I'm seeing public health center now and they've kept me on Lithium and started me on now up to 80mg of Latuda and have cut me from my 0.5 Clonazapam... While in the hospital, they weened me off of my Effexor and Lamictal, which didnt seem to be helping and giving me mania. My Issue now is I miss the Mania, I've been severely depressed, anxious and angry. I am aware the move home and the whole situation of being uprooted of living on my own hasn't helped, but it's been months now and the Latuda has seemed to make these worse as they increased. I see my pdoc tomorrow to see, but wanted to hear some insight from some folks who have either shared my side effects or have had success on this combo. I just feel the Latuda is keeping me depressed and lethargic.
      Thanks for the  support everyone
    • By Cjb124
      Hey guys. Just looking for some opinions here and see who could relate. 
      I’ve been an insomniac for 10 years now and suffered from depression for 5. 
      I recently stopped seroquel 25mg which I was on for 10 years for sleep since it stopped working and made me sedated all day. Changed to ambien 10mg and can FINALLY sleep and feel some energy during the day.
      My problem is finding th correct med to deal with my depression. I feel like I haven’t felt my confident, creative self in years and homesick for that person to come back if that makes since. Lexapro I was on for three years. Worked okay, but I was also in a daze, so sedated and tired 24/7. And no sexual interest. I then broke down and switched to trintellix, worked well for depression but anxiety it was HORRIBLE. I picked at my face 24/7 and after 7 months went into another breakdown and was very unstable. I was then switched to Wellbutrin and then pristiq. Both turned me into zombies and couldn’t even get out of bed. 
      Finally took genomind test and found out no SSRIS will do the job. So I was put on adderall for resistant depression treatment. That was a fail, ended up in hopsital because I couldn’t stop crying. So I was then put on lamictal which seemed to be okay until I got the rash and am forced to discontinue.
      Does ANYONE have any reccomendations? I’m just so exhausted of trying everything and not having it work. But hey at least I can sleep on the ambien and that’s half the battle
    • By Cjb124
      Hey guys. I always read posts on here but never have actually made an account. I decided to make one after I experienced the lamictal rash two days ago.
      A little background- I am always very hesitant to switch medications, but the past year has been hard for me and after taking the genomind test found out SSRIs won’t do shit (which I always knew). I have been on lexapro for years, it helps a little with my anxiety but not really anything with my depression and I’m always in a daze. I also just switched from seroquel to ambien and can finally sleep.
      My p doc was very hopeful and optimistic about me trying the lamictal for depression. I was on it for 13 days (did notice a little difference in my mood) when my lips started getting very itchy and chapped. Didn’t really think anything of it until I couldn’t open my mouth cause they burned SO MUCH. It wasn’t just on my lips but all around my mouth. Red, cracked, scabbed, itchy, bleeding. At first I just thought it was sunburn or allergies but nothing was relieving the pain. My p doc said to go to emergency room. Two MDs confirmed it there that it was the lamictal rash and I needed to stop the lamictal immediately. 
      Its now been two full days and the rash is completely gone!! Pretty bummed I have to start a new medication again since lamictal seemed to be working and didn’t make me in a daze 24/7.
      ***also I was only on 25mg of lamictal when I got the rash.

Anyway, thanks for reading this post. Anyone run into this problem and had to stop the lamictal? What else did you try for depressive related symptoms? 

• By standingnsunshine
      I was diagnosed bipolar about 7 years ago around the same time as my first suicide attempt. Long story short - I rejected the diagnosis and eventually went off all meds because I thought my issues stemmed from the stress of nursing school. School over - no meds needed. 
      About 3 years later, started seeing a new psychiatrist and taking antidepressants. I actually felt like I had my life back... 
      Then, at some point recently, my son died. I had an affair. My husband and I had another  child. And then affair was discovered by my husband. The intense guilt and depression led me to try to kill myself, and I recently endured my first psychiatric hospitalization. 
      Wellbutrin and buspar were once my miracle cocktail. I'm still on those, plus lamictal, plus latuda. Latuda is not helping me. It may have cleared my suicidal thinking, but over all... I feel lost, stuck, hopeless, and let down. I've reached out to my psychiatrist for help so many times, and I'm screwed over by the incompetent office staff each time. 
      Can someone just tell me it gets better? Do I even deserve better after  what I've done? I'm paranoid and delusional. My intrusive thoughts seem worse each day. I want to believe it gets better. Ive dropped down to working part time and I'm seriously considering quitting. 
      It used to be that I only felt competent at being a mother. But now I don't even feel I can do that right. 
      I'm a mess.
      Is there any hope? If a med didn't work for you, did you find a med that did help? I want to feel like myself again... I feel so let down that latuda isn't helping me. 
      Thanks for listening...
    • By inconsequinntial
      I started Abilify 2mg on Monday to try as an adjunct treatment to Wellbutrin XL 450mg. Since Monday night, I have had a headache that has not stopped, although it seems to be at it's worst maybe 6-10 hours after I've taken my meds. 
      It only occurred to me today that my headache might be a side effect of Abilify and I wanted to hear if anyone had similar experiences or not, and if you did if it cleared up or not

Edit to add: I've also been experiencing intense nausea, with fits of gagging and retching and I did throw up a little on Tuesday night, and a complete lack of appetite as well the last few days.