CrazyRedhead

Irresponsible Dog Owners

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry, this is going to be kind of long......Haven't been on much in last week because of a very traumatic experience I had last Thursday.......It still causes me anxiety to even think about it.

I was walking my dog on a leash around my neighborhood last Thursday.....I never let her roam around loose--she is either on leash, in the house, or playing in my fenced yard......She is mostly an inside dog, but likes to take walks with me sometimes......She is spayed, and up-to-date on all her shots.

Anyway, what happened was that a free-roaming dog attacked us while we were walking......He was an intact (non-neutered) male with no collar, no id......He was some sort of large retriever mix, with longer hair.......

IMO, I think he was really trying to attack my dog, but my dog was so scared she hid behind my legs, while I tried to beat this dog off with a large stick that just happened to be lying on the ground nearby.....I was yelling "Help, Help, Help" the whole time, at the top of my lungs, but this happened during the middle of the day, while most everyone is either at work or school.

Finally he ran away, but not before he bit me quite badly on my leg and hand....My dog suffered no injuries......

 Animal Control was called, but they couldn't find the dog that bit me anywhere--I was driven to ER by my friend who lives a short ways away from me.......Got stitched up at ER, and now because they weren't able to find this dog, I have been started on rabies prevention vaccinations.....I have 2 shots more to go to finish the series...

Animal Control tells me they are now knocking on doors to try and find this dog.....He probably didn't have rabies--but who really knows that for sure, since we can't find him?.........

My State Health Department tells me that rabid dogs are extremely rare in this county, and they haven't seen an actual dog with rabies here in about 15 years, probably because of all the free rabies clinics that we now have here in our area.

Now granted, this dog that bit me COULD have gotten loose accidentally.....But I'll never know for sure--maybe his "owner" lets him roam around loose--some people do let their dogs roam freely around with no supervision......Or maybe some scumbag just dumped the poor dog.....these are just some possibilities.

Also, he was a mixed breed, so why wasn't he at least neutered?..........I can't think of a rational reason not to neuter a mixed-breed dog......Neutered male dogs are far less likely to get loose and go roaming around, in my experience......

Male dogs that aren't neutered are responsible for about 80-90% percent of all reported dog bites.......Cost of neutering is also not an excuse--we have several very low cost spay/neuter clinics here for lower-income people.

I'm lucky..........it could have been a lot worse......but I wish more people were actually responsible for their dogs---And I'm just really pissed that I have a total of about 20 stitches, and have to get rabies shots..........:angry:

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Also, IF I take my dog out walking again, which I haven't yet decided on, I'm gonna be toting a baseball bat, out of fear of this crap happening again...........:(

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That must have been scary!  Shit.  I'm glad that dog finally ran off.

I'm sorry you had to get all the stitches and rabies shots.  I've heard the rabies shots really hurt ... I hope they aren't too bad for you.

I am glad that animal control is continuing to search for that dog.

Totally agree with taking a baseball bat with you if you go out for a walk again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@melissaw72, I hope they find the dog, and so-called owners of dog, too.....Because if they do, I'm going to take them to court for any outstanding medical bills, and for pain and suffering.......I'm still waiting for a call or e-mail from my insurance to see if they cover those shots......i would think they would, since it's a potentially life-threatening situation, but I want to make sure.

The shots are crazy expensive--for the whole series of 5 shots it costs around $3000, according to the ER doc.....But this is potentially RABIES, so I'll have to come with up with the money if insurance doesn't pay....Guess I'll find out soon, but I'm getting the shots, no matter what....

The rabies shots aren't quite as painful now, as they once were, when people had to get them in the stomach.....Well, the first shot was not too comfortable, since they give the first one right around where the bites are.......But the other 4 shots they just give in the upper arm, like a flu shot or tetanus shot.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Because if they do, I'm going to take them to court for any outstanding medical bills, and for pain and suffering.......I'm still waiting for a call or e-mail from my insurance to see if they cover those shots......i would think they would, since it's a potentially life-threatening situation, but I want to make sure.

Definitely take them to court., for all the reasons you say.  Definitely (aside from the possible medical bills) sue for pain and suffering.  I'd be surprised if you weren't awarded it.

$3,000 for the 5 rabies shots?  Holy shit!  Yes, definitely get all the shots, whether they are covered by insurance or not.  Maybe IF they aren't covered, you could file an appeal saying it was a life-threatening situation and you had to have the treatments of 5 shots because you didn't want to risk rabies.  Also it wasn't like it was your dog that bit you.  Or something like that.

Idk your financial situation, but at least at the hospital I go to, they have free care or partial free care, depending on your income.

I am glad the rabies shots aren't painful ... I was thinking about the ones in the stomach.  I'm glad they are in the arm. 

Did you get a tetanus shot also?  I was bit twice by the same dog and both times I had to get a tetanus shot.  I didn't need rabies shots because we knew the dog was ok ... it was my sister's/husband's dog and was up to date with shots etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Did you get a tetanus shot also?  

Yes, got one of those, too.........Feeling a little like a pincushion right about now.....

Also taking antibiotics......**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, got one of those, too.........Feeling a little like a pincushion right about now.....

Also taking antibiotics......**SIGH**

I can understand the antibiotics also.  I would just take anything I had to in order to avoid getting rabies. (and I know you would too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, melissaw72 said:

I can understand the antibiotics also.  I would just take anything I had to in order to avoid getting rabies. (and I know you would too).

Yay.!!....Just got a call from my insurance saying they will cover the shots....Whew...!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yay.!!....Just got a call from my insurance saying they will cover the shots....Whew...!!

What a relief!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Got 4th rabies shot today.....Only one more next week, and I'm done with this mess after I get my stitches out.

The dog still hasn't been found--What a surprise...!! (sarcasm).

Edited by CrazyRedhead
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

The dog still hasn't been found--What a surprise...!! (sarcasm).

That sucks. 

I'm glad the rabies shots are almost over, and I am glad they weren't the ones in the stomach!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-15 at 9:41 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

Sorry, this is going to be kind of long......Haven't been on much in last week because of a very traumatic experience I had last Thursday.......It still causes me anxiety to even think about it.

I was walking my dog on a leash around my neighborhood last Thursday.....I never let her roam around loose--she is either on leash, in the house, or playing in my fenced yard......She is mostly an inside dog, but likes to take walks with me sometimes......She is spayed, and up-to-date on all her shots.

Anyway, what happened was that a free-roaming dog attacked us while we were walking......He was an intact (non-neutered) male with no collar, no id......He was some sort of large retriever mix, with longer hair.......

IMO, I think he was really trying to attack my dog, but my dog was so scared she hid behind my legs, while I tried to beat this dog off with a large stick that just happened to be lying on the ground nearby.....I was yelling "Help, Help, Help" the whole time, at the top of my lungs, but this happened during the middle of the day, while most everyone is either at work or school.

Finally he ran away, but not before he bit me quite badly on my leg and hand....My dog suffered no injuries......

 Animal Control was called, but they couldn't find the dog that bit me anywhere--I was driven to ER by my friend who lives a short ways away from me.......Got stitched up at ER, and now because they weren't able to find this dog, I have been started on rabies prevention vaccinations.....I have 2 shots more to go to finish the series...

Animal Control tells me they are now knocking on doors to try and find this dog.....He probably didn't have rabies--but who really knows that for sure, since we can't find him?.........

My State Health Department tells me that rabid dogs are extremely rare in this county, and they haven't seen an actual dog with rabies here in about 15 years, probably because of all the free rabies clinics that we now have here in our area.

Now granted, this dog that bit me COULD have gotten loose accidentally.....But I'll never know for sure--maybe his "owner" lets him roam around loose--some people do let their dogs roam freely around with no supervision......Or maybe some scumbag just dumped the poor dog.....these are just some possibilities.

Also, he was a mixed breed, so why wasn't he at least neutered?..........I can't think of a rational reason not to neuter a mixed-breed dog......Neutered male dogs are far less likely to get loose and go roaming around, in my experience......

Male dogs that aren't neutered are responsible for about 80-90% percent of all reported dog bites.......Cost of neutering is also not an excuse--we have several very low cost spay/neuter clinics here for lower-income people.

I'm lucky..........it could have been a lot worse......but I wish more people were actually responsible for their dogs---And I'm just really pissed that I have a total of about 20 stitches, and have to get rabies shots..........:angry:

Holy crap!! That's horrible, you poor thing!! That pisses me off so much, what a f***ing jerk for letting their unneutered crazy dog run around loose! God! 😠

I'm glad you and your dog are okay, wish you weren't hurt like that though. People like that are the worst, hope they find the s***head who is letting this animal attack people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nervousbat said:

I'm glad you and your dog are okay, wish you weren't hurt like that though. People like that are the worst, hope they find the s***head who is letting this animal attack people. 

Hope they find him, too.....We have a lot of kids playing outside and riding their bikes here, also walkers and joggers......I would hate it, if what happened to me happened to a child, or anyone.....!!

We have a leash law here, too--it's against the law in this county to let a dog run loose on public streets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Hope they find him, too.....We have a lot of kids playing outside and riding their bikes here, also walkers and joggers......I would hate it, if what happened to me happened to a child, or anyone.....!!

We have a leash law here, too--it's against the law in this county to let a dog run loose on public streets.

 

I hope that you feel better soon and that you don't have to experience something like this again.  I bet they will catch the bad dog owner. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now