CrazyBoards.org

What helps you the most when you are painfully bored? With everything.... I've done enough chores for the weekend, I've exercised (forced), I can't engage in watching TV or looking at any more cute/dumb YouTube videos...I can't even get into listening to music, reading or spending more time passively online.

Is there anything else that helps you? I was already outside for several hours in the cold and do not want to go back out for a walk. Most enjoyable-sounding activity sounds like a nap, but then I will not be able to sleep later tonight! Sorry if this is a useless lame post. I'm trying to kill some time this afternoon and interaction is always good when there is no one around. No one to call at the moment either.

Read this unsurprising article that says people would rather give themselves painful electric shocks than deal with being bored alone with their own thoughts:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28130690

Edited by Blahblah

Thanks for the link ... I think what I would do is try to fall asleep.  Or enjoy the quiet.  I hear so much noise here that I would love some peace and quiet.

47 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Is there anything else that helps you?

You covered everything I can think of.

Look forward to others posting, hoping to have more ideas for you.

99% of the time I live in my head. This means I am rarely bored even if I am doing nothing at all. When I do start to feel bored I find things that intellectually stimulate me. Unfortunately, living in my head is bad for getting things done in the real world and for hygiene, socialization, etc.

I am very rarely bored even though I have no social life and do very little in general.  I take care of 2 small children aged 2 and 3.5yrs 2 days each week which can be stressful so I am quite happy doing nothing for the other 5 days.  I often stay in bed and watch TV and read a bit.

Like jt07 I live in my head a lot of the time. Therefore the house is messy and I barely notice it even though I have plenty of spare time.

Also I could go days without leaving the house because I just don't feel the need to.

My mum tries to motivate me to go and see a friend or go for a walk but l really like my comfort zone. 

So yeah....I don't get bored

Another one here who is never bored. Depressed yes, bored no.

I don't know why. I definitely live in my head AND my emotions. Both always.

I have alot to do at my home: oil paint, read books, play with kitties, make tea, clean clean clean (UGH UGH UGH), do my volunteer work for freecycle on the computer, check out dating apps, read the gossip blogs, backup my computer which I haven't done in AGES.

Most of this is really life stuff I am putting off or fun stuff I am trying to put in.

What helps me with depression is distraction. And this is what is saving my life right now: Pokemon Go. I am at level 25.Went into a pokemom gym today for the first time. It gets me out of the house, I am very competitive with myself so I am constantly catching pokemon, I refuse to spend money on it so I have to figure out ways to get to the pokestops, I love the pokemon characters - some are annoying, some are gorgeous, some are cute, some are deadly. lol 

Anyway - boredom I think is really depression. You are bored because you are too depressed to do anything. That is an extremely hard rut to jump out of. Distraction, distraction, distraction. There are a few things I can do while depressed: read, sleep, make tea, play with kitties, play pokemon go.

Make sure you home is a safe place and fill it with stuff you like to do.  When you are invited somewhere, DRAG yourself there even if it is the LAST thing on earth you want to do. Living your life is the only way to find out what brings you pleasure.  I think I knew from early on that drawing gave me pleasure, but it wasn't until my 50's I allowed myself to draw and paint my heart out.   Find your dream your passion, and never let it go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jt07 said:

99% of the time I live in my head. This means I am rarely bored even if I am doing nothing at all. When I do start to feel bored I find things that intellectually stimulate me. Unfortunately, living in my head is bad for getting things done in the real world and for hygiene, socialization, etc.

I'm ALWAYS in my head stuck in thoughts as well....hence getting bored of listening to my depressing thoughts!! I guess I haven't found the "sweet spot" for something that is interesting & intellectually stimulating without being too difficult or a chore.

2 hours ago, water said:

Another one here who is never bored. Depressed yes, bored no.

I don't know why. I definitely live in my head AND my emotions. Both always.

I have alot to do at my home: oil paint, read books, play with kitties, make tea, clean clean clean (UGH UGH UGH), do my volunteer work for freecycle on the computer, check out dating apps, read the gossip blogs, backup my computer which I haven't done in AGES.

Most of this is really life stuff I am putting off or fun stuff I am trying to put in.

What helps me with depression is distraction. And this is what is saving my life right now: Pokemon Go. I am at level 25.Went into a pokemom gym today for the first time. It gets me out of the house, I am very competitive with myself so I am constantly catching pokemon, I refuse to spend money on it so I have to figure out ways to get to the pokestops, I love the pokemon characters - some are annoying, some are gorgeous, some are cute, some are deadly. lol 

Anyway - boredom I think is really depression. You are bored because you are too depressed to do anything. That is an extremely hard rut to jump out of. Distraction, distraction, distraction. There are a few things I can do while depressed: read, sleep, make tea, play with kitties, play pokemon go.

Make sure you home is a safe place and fill it with stuff you like to do.  When you are invited somewhere, DRAG yourself there even if it is the LAST thing on earth you want to do. Living your life is the only way to find out what brings you pleasure.  I think I knew from early on that drawing gave me pleasure, but it wasn't until my 50's I allowed myself to draw and paint my heart out.   Find your dream your passion, and never let it go.

I agree that boredom is often a symptom of depression - however, in my case, my depression is heading into remission. I am not sad, sorry for myself or anxious at all about trying new things. I simply do not get pleasure from any activities and cannot seem to form goals. I've taken many risks in my life to try all sorts of new hobbies, travel, move/live in different places. I distract myself doing many different types of things everyday. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm extremely active and probably couldn't even increase my number of distractions: I work, exercise intensely 4 days per week, go for walks, i never turn down invitations when people as me to go out, I socially extend invitations towards other people....I volunteer, watch movies occasionally, cook dinner everyday....clean, do chores, try new hobbies, try to be creative and find a passion etc. I just feel empty.

My depression is atypical in that I am highly functioning. I always take action and try to distract myself because i know from experience this will save me from falling deeper. My issue is, no matter what I do, I find everything boring and purposeless. Then the boredom reaction leads to me being more depressed & consumed by negative thought loops that life is not worth living. Nothing stimulates me in a pleasurable or stimulating way. I often wonder if this is an ADD thing..or existential issue, never feeling interested/engaged/stimulated in anything.

I absolutely hate TV and online games..to me, it's all just insanely mindless, meaningless, passive filler and I cannot engage in that at all. I wish i could have pets but I can't. in life, there is always going to be some downtime, we cannot be going 24/7. I have also tried practicing mindfulness meditation and that gets me more into my crazy head. I just wonder if anyone else here relates to this profound emptiness and painful boredom?

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

One of the reasons that CBT doesn't work really well for me (except for OCD) is that I don't really have depressing thoughts. I feel depressed, but my thoughts aren't necessarily depressing. In fact, I am an expert at suppressing depressing or unpleasant thoughts by focusing my mind's eye on other things. I am a lifelong learner so anytime I can learn something new I feel intellectually challenged, interested, and hence not bored. Doesn't have to be anything big. Just reading Wikipedia can be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

I'm ALWAYS in my head stuck in thoughts as well....hence getting bored of listening to my depressing thoughts!! I guess I haven't found the "sweet spot" for something that is interesting & intellectually stimulating without being too difficult or a chore.

I agree that boredom is often a symptom of depression - however I simply do not get pleasure from any activities and cannot seem to form goals.

My issue is, no matter what I do, I find everything boring and purposeless. Then the boredom reaction leads to me being more depressed & consumed by negative thought loops that life is not worth living. Nothing stimulates me in a pleasurable or stimulating way. I often wonder if this is an ADD thing..or existential issue, never feeling interested/engaged/stimulated in anything.

I absolutely hate TV and online games..to me, it's all just insanely mindless, meaningless, passive filler and I cannot engage in that at all. I wish i could have pets but I can't. in life, there is always going to be some downtime, we cannot be going 24/7.

I have also tried practicing mindfulness meditation and that gets me more into my crazy head. I just wonder if anyone else here relates to this profound emptiness and painful boredom?

Yep. I am like this exactly. No remission for me. Distraction doesn't work because it is just a mindless filler that ends up making me more numb and extremely frustrated. 

I am low functioning though. I can't muster up the brain power to do anything unless it is an absolute must because my own shitty cognition fills my brain, and I have next to no executive functioning. 

I have very little energy physically, all I do is sleep and sleep more and dissociate almost always, and binge eat. 

• Like 1

One thing I find helpful that I just thought of for passing time is working on a word find book ... the kind where there is a box of letters and you have to find words within them.  Really passes time for me.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2017 at 4:18 PM, Blahblah said:

. My issue is, no matter what I do, I find everything boring and purposeless. Then the boredom reaction leads to me being more depressed & consumed by negative thought loops that life is not worth living. Nothing stimulates me in a pleasurable or stimulating way. I often wonder if this is an ADD thing..or existential issue, never feeling interested/engaged/stimulated in anything.

This is me when I am depressed. 

Nothing works. I am living in sludge that pulls me down from whatever sparkle of distraction tries to get me out.   

I was am always will be a functional depressive. In my 50's therapy meds crazyboards mindfulness brought the illness to  more understandable manageable level. But I have no illusions.

I hope my post did not sound dismissive.   It's not like I have a magic trick that always works. My major depression is triggered. My dysthymia is always snooping around. Today at PT I am silent.  Everyone is annoying me and I have no energy for the exercises  I want to go home and hide.  

This year was hard.  I lost so much.  Sometimes all that keeps me going is telling myself one day at a time.  

I am blessed with passions but they do no good when my mind tells me my art is shit and worthless and stop now and there is no point.  

Ruminating is deadly.  Vicious cycle like ruts in the brain we veer into at every turn. For me trying to use my brain to get out of a rut works like quicksand, digs me deeper under the earth.  I have to physically move my body, get up, take a step.  

It sounds like you're doing everything you can.  You say you have tried many hobbies and many distractions. Does everything always seem boring? Was there anything ever that engaged your interest fully? 

There are never any easy answers with depression. All that matters right now is this very minute, this very hour. All that crap that goes on in our mind is exactly that crap.  I am currently procrastinating the laundry, too tired to get off the bed to do a omething else. But I am looking out the window at a tree, and a little bit of blue sky. That's got to be enough for now.  

The fact that you posted this injury is a really good sign. Maybe writing about the boredom will help the boredom

• Like 1

Absolutely relate.  Rumination is the worst of it all. You engage in something mildly interesting and than out of nowhere you think of something that happened 20 years ago. "Hey, are you okay? You look lost."  No I'm just...locked inside my head.  

I don't want to reach over and charge the phone and its right there. I don't want to meet my new neighbors and I want to be left the fuck alone but I am so. fucking. bored and lonely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sleeeeeep77 said:

I don't want to reach over and charge the phone and its right there. I don't want to meet my new neighbors and I want to be left the fuck alone but I am so. fucking. bored and lonely.

I can really empathize with all of this.  I need to get stuff done that needs to be done, yet I am bored at the same time.

An observation for the OP: This sounds to me like a lack of interest that manifests itself as boredom. In other words, nothing interests you enough to engage in that activity that would offset the boredom. I was that way too ... but Abilify really helped me to get that interest back. I'm not suggesting it for you though. You might need to work on this in therapy or it might be a case of having to fake it until you make it. But lack of interest in life sucks.

21 minutes ago, jt07 said:

but Abilify really helped me to get that interest back.

Do you think jt that the boredom is a symptom of your depression?

I keep going back to this topic. These feelings are so familiar. The lack of interest. The inability to want to do anything. Or when doing anything, it all seems pointless and unnecessary.  But I never thought of this as boredom, only depression. 

For interest, I have a cousin that is very close to my age. I have watched  her grow up and we are now best friends. But from the beginning I have always envied her ability to just 'do' and 'be'. Without meds or self medication, she seems to enjoy life and get high on simple things. For me, it is always SO much more difficult. Even with the stuff that I LOVE. Nothing is ever easy. Nothing ever comes along happily and playfully. 

Cuz does have issues. Of course. What I've learned over the years is that my life is also filled to the brim BUT there are days and days and weeks and week when nothing gets done, nothing seems joyful, nothing is interesting. And yet, my life is the same as the day or week or year before.

I used to think she had more to do was better at more and knew more people. But none of that is true. She is just not depressed.

2 hours ago, water said:

Do you think jt that the boredom is a symptom of your depression?

I keep going back to this topic. These feelings are so familiar. The lack of interest. The inability to want to do anything. Or when doing anything, it all seems pointless and unnecessary.  But I never thought of this as boredom, only depression. 

For interest, I have a cousin that is very close to my age. I have watched  her grow up and we are now best friends. But from the beginning I have always envied her ability to just 'do' and 'be'. Without meds or self medication, she seems to enjoy life and get high on simple things. For me, it is always SO much more difficult. Even with the stuff that I LOVE. Nothing is ever easy. Nothing ever comes along happily and playfully. 

Cuz does have issues. Of course. What I've learned over the years is that my life is also filled to the brim BUT there are days and days and weeks and week when nothing gets done, nothing seems joyful, nothing is interesting. And yet, my life is the same as the day or week or year before.

I used to think she had more to do was better at more and knew more people. But none of that is true. She is just not depressed.

Water: This is really a good point that i am always trying to pick apart - is it simply boredom or is the boredom just a manifestation of the overarching depression?? Maybe it is really depression...the stubborn, chronic dysthymic depression that does not seem to lift.

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Water: This is really a good point that i am always trying to pick apart - is it simply boredom or is the boredom just a manifestation of the overarching depression?? Maybe it is really depression...the stubborn, chronic dysthymic depression that does not seem to lift.

yes, yes, yes!!

YOur topic really piqued me in many ways. lol

My physical therapist was like, "Ok. What's wrong?".  All I was doing was looking at my phone trying to figure out how to say what you just said. lol

It is depression. Truly.

That does not necessarily make a difference but it can CHANGE the way you approach your life.