nervousbat

Fixing my hair for hours

5 posts in this topic

I'm putting this in the SA category because I am pretty sure this is related to the fear I have of being judged poorly/criticized. I got up this morning and went about my usual routine of straightening my hair, but my hair decided it didn't want to cooperate and no matter what I did I could not get it to look right. Even when I tried wearing a hat it didn't look right, nothing worked. It was really hard not to stand in front of the mirror and get sucked back into doing it again. Like when I went to brush my teeth I ended up getting obsessed again and took way longer in the bathroom than I intended. This happens pretty much weekly. It seems almost like an OCD characteristic, but probably not as bad. It is still frustrating, I'm sure a non-anxious person could deal with it if they were having a bad hair day, but for me it's like "If I don't get this to look normal/right, it is going to be hell if I leave the house today, people are going to say such mean things to me if I look bad/dumb/like a dork." I'm an adult and this type of worry seems so juvenile to me, but yet here it is still eating away at me. So annoying, god. ūüė†¬†

@nervousbat, Have you ever considered not straightening your hair?

I have curly hair, and I have it cut in a style that enhances my curls.....I do have to use a bit of anti-frizz serum on it, and a bit of gel after shampooing, and then I let it dry by itself.......Looks beautiful, and when I do have visitors, they compliment me on my hair, and say they wish they had my curls.

I threw out all my straightening tools long ago......Maybe you could try to just embrace your curls.....that's what I did, anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@nervousbat, Have you ever considered not straightening your hair?

I have curly hair, and I have it cut in a style that enhances my curls.....I do have to use a bit of anti-frizz serum on it, and a bit of gel after shampooing, and then I let it dry by itself.......Looks beautiful, and when I do have visitors, they compliment me on my hair, and say they wish they had my curls.

I threw out all my straightening tools long ago......Maybe you could try to just embrace your curls.....that's what I did, anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi redhead, I'm glad to hear from you, it's much appreciated. Yeah, I have curly hair too, it's fine and a combination of wavy and curly. I didn't start straightening it all the time until I finished high school. Prior to that I only did it for special occasions. My hair was natural, but had no clue about how to style it so it was pretty plain. I think I feel compelled to straighten it because there's so many bad memories around when it was natural, I hear all the insults people said about it. Things have changed now though and I do want to embrace my natural curls, just don't know how to style it. I tried a short cropped look but it was impossible to replicate even with mousse after I went to the stylist. My hair ended up a poofy mess for a few months after that. The hair style I have now is a bit easier and doesn't look too bad when it's natural, it's like a curly bob that becomes shorter at the back. I will look up videos on how to style it without using heat because I know the heat tools aren't good for it. This is pretty crazy, but I tried to stop using heat tools on my hair over the summer and I even gave away one of them to charity. I thought I could force myself to stop using them, but I could not figure out how to manage my hair while it was natural. I think though it will be easier now that my hair has a more flattering look. I guess I was sort of defeated the last time I tried going back to natural and that's why I'm back here using the heat tools, but I will give it another try. Although I don't think I will purge my heat tools this time. 

1 person likes this

This is really frustrating!

I can't relate since my hair looks like a bird's nest sometimes but still must be so frustrating to let it consume you to that point.

11 hours ago, nervousbat said:

Hi redhead, I'm glad to hear from you, it's much appreciated. Yeah, I have curly hair too, it's fine and a combination of wavy and curly. I didn't start straightening it all the time until I finished high school. Prior to that I only did it for special occasions. My hair was natural, but had no clue about how to style it so it was pretty plain. I think I feel compelled to straighten it because there's so many bad memories around when it was natural, I hear all the insults people said about it. Things have changed now though and I do want to embrace my natural curls, just don't know how to style it. 

Here's a great website that I think you'll like......It has articles and all sorts of tips and tricks about how to style your curly hair, and also has recommendations on products to use.......

It even has a forum for curly girls.....I've gotten some good info from it:

https://www.naturallycurly.com/learn/

Edited by CrazyRedhead