The Right Honourable Jimmy

Why does alcohol help me concentrate?

14 posts in this topic

As I've mentioned before I have a 'small' alcohol problem....probably due to my obsession with high life (I like to tell myself that). The only times that I don't drink is when I can't afford that expensive bottle.

So, I'm a student and one of my hugest problems is concentrating when I do essays. I enjoy the essays I do but I can't concentrate at all since everything is done electronically nowadays. What I've found is that when I do essays and drink red wine (my drink of choice, don't know if it holds any relevance)  my concentration is on point. My last essay that I did for university I got an A- and I was drinking most of the time while I was writing it so in a way I don't write rubbish when I drink. I'm honestly baffled why I can concentrate like a pro when I drink. I used to consume caffeine when I used to do work in the past and that in itself did the opposite, it didn't made me concentrate but made me procrastinate even more. 

I want to limit my alcohol intake. I drink too much during the week but I yet haven't seen a short term negative effect. Yes, I know long term it's bad but I'm not the type that thinks long term. I spent £4K on expensive equipment for my course the past 4 days since I got my maintenance money so long term negativity doesn't help me get on the straight and narrow.

Have you considered that you may be somewhat manic, and drinking as self-medication, to downregulate your symptoms? It's incredibly common.

2 hours ago, Gearhead said:

Have you considered that you may be somewhat manic, and drinking as self-medication, to downregulate your symptoms? It's incredibly common.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm manic, people would realise, maybe hypo.... but again I doubt it. I'm happy and content but I'm taking my mood stabilizer. I don't know....

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

Food for thought.  I remember reading an article written by a guy who had ADHD and self-medicated with alcohol.  He also felt more normal and in control whole drinking.   Have you ever been tested for ADD or ADHD? 

22 minutes ago, TakeAChillPill said:

Food for thought.  I remember reading an article written by a guy who had ADHD and self-medicated with alcohol.  He also felt more normal and in control whole drinking.   Have you ever been tested for ADD or ADHD? 

Not really but I always feel uncomfortable talking about anything negative when I'm stable with my psychiatrist because I don't want them to think I'm being needy or unwell when I'm okay

3 hours ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

As I've mentioned before I have a 'small' alcohol problem....probably due to my obsession with high life (I like to tell myself that). The only times that I don't drink is when I can't afford that expensive bottle.

So, I'm a student and one of my hugest problems is concentrating when I do essays. I enjoy the essays I do but I can't concentrate at all since everything is done electronically nowadays. What I've found is that when I do essays and drink red wine (my drink of choice, don't know if it holds any relevance)  my concentration is on point. My last essay that I did for university I got an A- and I was drinking most of the time while I was writing it so in a way I don't write rubbish when I drink. I'm honestly baffled why I can concentrate like a pro when I drink. I used to consume caffeine when I used to do work in the past and that in itself did the opposite, it didn't made me concentrate but made me procrastinate even more. 

I want to limit my alcohol intake. I drink too much during the week but I yet haven't seen a short term negative effect. Yes, I know long term it's bad but I'm not the type that thinks long term. I spent £4K on expensive equipment for my course the past 4 days since I got my maintenance money so long term negativity doesn't help me get on the straight and narrow.

There are so many angles to this discussion, I don't know where to start. When I was near the end of undergrad, I was hopelessly lost. I thought I would fail in this one course for sure. I simply gave up and had a few glasses of merlot before going to my exam at 8 or 8:30 am. I totally aced it. I did not expect that to happen. I got an A- that semester, and I got a solid A the next. Sometimes you just have to give yourself some breathing room. 

As for drinking, I'm a VERY serious alcoholic, and I cannot advocate for people going down that path. Because of MI, I certainly understand the allure. Dulling things helps; I totally get it. But you don't want to be the person faced with liver damage down the line. It's something I've already been dealing with. When things are good, you wanna live; when things are crap, you don't. I get it, believe me. Decide what you want for your future and write it down. Then look at the things that may interfere with that. A clear picture should emerge at some point. Be willing to accept a transition. Your current life does not have to be your future.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

There are so many angles to this discussion, I don't know where to start. When I was near the end of undergrad, I was hopelessly lost. I thought I would fail in this one course for sure. I simply gave up and had a few glasses of merlot before going to my exam at 8 or 8:30 am. I totally aced it. I did not expect that to happen. I got an A- that semester, and I got a solid A the next. Sometimes you just have to give yourself some breathing room. 

As for drinking, I'm a VERY serious alcoholic, and I cannot advocate for people going down that path. Because of MI, I certainly understand the allure. Dulling things helps; I totally get it. But you don't want to be the person faced with liver damage down the line. It's something I've already been dealing with. When things are good, you wanna live; when things are crap, you don't. I get it, believe me. Decide what you want for your future and write it down. Then look at the things that may interfere with that. A clear picture should emerge at some point. Be willing to accept a transition. Your current life does not have to be your future.

That hits so close to home.

The only difference with me is ...malbec

lol

But in all seriousness stopping drinking as a UK student would be social suicide for me. 

I'd like to drink much more moderately and less but that is extremely hard. If I'm at the clubs with my friends...it's shots, if I'm at home I'll drink the bottle. The only times I haven't finished a bottle of wine is when I've fallen asleep. 

11 minutes ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

That hits so close to home.

The only difference with me is ...malbec

lol

But in all seriousness stopping drinking as a UK student would be social suicide for me. 

I'd like to drink much more moderately and less but that is extremely hard. If I'm at the clubs with my friends...it's shots, if I'm at home I'll drink the bottle. The only times I haven't finished a bottle of wine is when I've fallen asleep. 

You don't understand the severity of my affliction. I will drink two 18-packs of beer and 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of Jägermeister on top of it. Or the equivalent in wine, tequila, or scotch. 

I was good with naltrexone when I was asymptomatic, but it doesn't work when the crazy hits.

This isn't unheard of.  I read an article recently that I don't feel like looking for right this minute, but it talked about how a small amount of alcohol actually enhances essay-writing.  Literally what you're describing.  I wouldn't recommend it.

alcoholism is not about amounts, rather lack of power over when you drink, how much you drink, etc and how much damage it causes not so much externally but internally although both.  Do you control your drinking, or does your drinking control you?

medication makes it complicated you probably shouldn't be drinking much of even at all when on strong meds especially mood stabilizers, not so much for mental illness but for chemical purposes. 

11 minutes ago, PsiloDream said:

This isn't unheard of.  I read an article recently that I don't feel like looking for right this minute, but it talked about how a small amount of alcohol actually enhances essay-writing.  Literally what you're describing.  I wouldn't recommend it.

alcoholism is not about amounts, rather lack of power over when you drink, how much you drink, etc and how much damage it causes not so much externally but internally although both.  Do you control your drinking, or does your drinking control you?

medication makes it complicated you probably shouldn't be drinking much of even at all when on strong meds especially mood stabilizers, not so much for mental illness but for chemical purposes. 

Um .....

The only that kind of worries me is that I've calculated how many units I drink a week and it's around 70 or 80 if I go out clubbing. If I go over 100 I'd be physically an alcoholic and I don't want that but yet it's hard to stop. Nothing negative has happen to me directly from alcohol other than falling down ect or losing stuff (small shit basically) which is the reason why I kind of keep drinking. I've only been kicked out once from a club and I went quietly. I know it's bad but I haven't felt the badness so my subconscious is like 'why should I stop?'

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

18 hours ago, Flash said:

Um .....

Sorry that wasn't clear.  Lack of power/control over how much you drink is what I meant.  So drinking a nine beers doesn't make you an alcoholic, but always trying to limit yourself to 2-3 and ending up drinking nine anyway might be a different story

my point being that you can't determine alcoholism based on the amounts someone drinks compared to someone else, that's just plain not enough information 

Edited by PsiloDream

5 hours ago, PsiloDream said:

Sorry that wasn't clear.  Lack of power/control over how much you drink is what I meant.  So drinking a nine beers doesn't make you an alcoholic, but always trying to limit yourself to 2-3 and ending up drinking nine anyway might be a different story

my point being that you can't determine alcoholism based on the amounts someone drinks compared to someone else, that's just plain not enough information 

That's not necessarily true. Take me, for example. I currently drink about 350 units of alcohol per week, compared to Jimmy's 70-80. And I used to drink closer to 450 per week. That amount alone places me into the severe alcoholic category, no matter what other factors are going on. So the amount alone can most definitely tell you what's going on in certain cases. 

When I went to GayA, I couldn't relate to the other people, because the amounts they were consuming were trivial in comparison. There were people who were beating themselves up because they were drinking 3 glasses of wine at night. We didn't even orbit the same planet. Fuck, we weren't even in the same solar system. I would have kissed Donald Trump's hairy ass if I only drank 3 glasses of wine at night. I also didn't like the religious aspect (yes, even in GayA), or the fact that you were supposed to admit that you were powerless over alcohol, which I do not believe.

And there is also a relationship between MI and alcohol abuse. That's what mine's all about. When I become symptomatic, I drink like a fish, because it's the only thing that gets me through the day (except for mania, because I drink then because life's a party). But psychosis, mixed, and depression? Yeah, I need something to dull things. It also helps with anxiety. And even then, I still have to take Valium sometimes, which is not exactly a good idea for someone who drinks so much.

1 person likes this

Alcohol seems to help me concentrate as well. I am not a student anymore so I'm unsure whether it would help me with an essay or not. I would try to limit your alcohol intake to just a few drinks during social events as well drinking just enough to help you concertante.