Sleeeeeep77

Cymbalta to Effexor for Depression not Anxiety

2 posts in this topic

I'm 40 now. One time I was 22 and knew I needed help so I went to a therapist and she gave me herbal pills and acupuncture. Me, I still wanted to die and I knew there was SOMETHING out there but alas, moms insurance. Needless to say I became more depressed and sat in the cellar of a goth club staring at the wall for 5 years. Numb n drunk. Poverty did not enable me to seek meds but there was a clinical trial for Viibryd in 2012 which I did for three months along with Trazadone. It helped me get out of a dead end life im Seattle with a BPD type (you know how us codependants roll) and move to California. Must've not been a placebo since the withdrawal cold turkey was a week. Fast forward to Obamacare and asked for Citalopram. Big mistake. Called in sick to work,sweating like a crackhead and bipolar like behavior. Tried Buproprion. No side effects but didn't really *do* anything. Sooo....Cymbalta for 5 weeks and I just get more exhausted every second, take two naps a day on top of 8 hours of sleep. I dont have the fibro but do have back pain (DDD) I stuck with it, wouldn't you say? I even doubled the dosage to 120 which made sleepy times worse. I didn't suffer any side effects except the sleepy part. So go to shrink and he immediately wants to start me on generic Venalaxifine 35. whatever to 75 in two days. I asked about stimulants like Vyvanse or Adderall but he refused, though he was just fine prescribing Xanax and this Lorazapam. SO: Anyone had any luck doing this crossover. If it gives me at least more of a boost than Cymbalta, which just made me want to buy flowers and eat ice cream and pass out every three minutes, I would love to hear your experiences. Sorry so long, am newbie, and lonely in this waking dreamūüéÉ

1 person likes this

Locking duplicate thread. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      I'll just preface this with info: I've tried about 30 different meds, many combos, including Cymbalta in the past (3 yrs, mixed results), It didn't greatly improve my depression, mainly made me numb, sweaty, nauseous, a bit restless/wired with sleep issues. The crazy withdrawals if I took a bit late were horrendous, so went off.
      Despite this, my pdoc really wants me to start Effexor (even though withdrawal is even worse). Can someone please reassure me that it worked well for you? My symptoms are: chronic, treatment-resistant depression (with some crying/mood lability), very intrusive negative ruminations, anhedonia). Is it really worth trying despite my unremarkable/mixed experience w/ Cymbalta, and fear about withdrawal syndrome? Also what were the negatives for you (i.e any weight gain, anxiety, restlessness, paranoia, insomnia?) Thanks all.
    • By inconsequinntial
      Psych Dx: treatment resistant depression (major + persistent), generalized anxiety, adhd
      Psych Rx: bupropion 450 qd, buspirone 15 bid, adderall 20 am 10pm, clonazepam .5 prn
      Other Dx: celiac, gerd, vulvodynia/vulvar vestibulitis, oab, seasonal allergies, idiopathic chronic nausea, neuropathy, myalgia, & arthralgia
      Other Rx: myrbetriq 50 qd, pantoprozole 20 bid, topical estrogen qd, topical clobetasol prn, topical lidocaine prn
      OTC:  mucinex 12-hour bid, vitamin D3 qd, fish oil qd, probiotic qd, zyrtec qd, nasacort qd, saline spray bid, melatonin prn
      Previous Psych Rx: seroquel, depakote, lamictal, remeron, trazadone, lithium, ambien, sonata, zyprexa, lexapro, prozac, temazepan, xanax, rozerem
      So I've clearly been on a lot of meds over the years (since first being put on seroquel in early 2013) partially because I was initially misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder. I've been on my current cocktail for quite awhile, and I had been doing pretty well with my depression but it's gotten significantly worse lately due to some life events + unyielding chronic pain that has been getting worse for the last two years.
      For the neuropathy I tried gabapentin for several months and it did absolutely nothing. I've been suggested Lyrica (which even with my good insurance is still $100 a month or $200 for 3 months with a mail order pharmacy which is a lot more than I can reasonably afford) and Cymbalta.
      Does anyone with depression and/or neuropathy have any experience with taking Cymbalta and Wellbutrin together? The two SSRIs I've taken (lexapro & prozac) in the past both gave me severe gastrointestinal side effects and I wasn't able to stay on them long enough to see if they even helped. It would be great to have a cheap, generic drug improve my nerve pain and depression, but I'm nervous about trying another SSRI.
      I'm also fairly uncomfortable with the idea of going off bupropion, bc it's been pretty damn  effective if not adequately so. Because when I wasn't on bupropion I was a MESS and I'm afraid of going back to that level of depressed.
      Also curious if anyone has any success with using any med, Cymbalta or otherwise, as an adjunct treatment for depression?
      I have recently gotten back to therapy so I'm hoping that will help some but it's hard to follow through on anything from my therapist (or from my physical therapists, doing anything besides going to work & sleeping) bc of executive dysfunction, constant fatigue, pretty severe anhedonia, general feeling of emptiness.
    • By KnickNak
      So, I am not 100% better.. I still have some weird side effects, but I am no longer taking Cymbalta! I have been wanting to come off this drug for awhile now , I tried once, failed. Then another time, Nope. And 3rd time , well I guess this was the charm. Let me tell you... the withdrawal , terrible. My pdoc increased the Seroquel to level it out..and it was ok for a few days then all of sudden bam... it began. I sweated, it wasn't even like sweating it was a damp cold clammy sweat when after you get sick or have the shits. My moods were terrible. The crying spells, I had to be watched. I was very Manic Depressive. I was sick to my stomach, vomiting etc. I couldn't sleep, I stayed up until 4am and had sleep paralysis. I honestly wanted to give in and go back on it, just so I could not have these side effects. I pushed thru it. It took me about 2 weeks of hell and now it's tolerable, I am starting to feel better where I can actually drive again with out getting sick. 
      I am getting a little worried tho..because now that I am no longer on any SSRI, or SRNI.. I am starting to feel a lil wound up and agitated. Very hyper too. Hoping this will pass. 
      Anyway just wanted to express that I made it (so far), even tho I wanted to go to in-patient and my t doc wanted me to go to, I didn't. I fought thru this. 
      If any of you came off this drug , how long did it take you to sort of feel balanced again and get off that rocky boat. 
    • By Tired Hyena
      Hi, names Hibiki. Ive been struggling for 7+ years with Trichotillomania, Depression, ADD, Anxiety (agoraphobia , panic disorder, disassociation, etc), OCD (obsessive thoughts).  im currently on so many meds due to my age (17) (no narcotics due to me being underage.) and my insurance being the shittiest ever. Im currently taking regularly:
      ‚ÄĘZoloft
      ‚ÄĘBuspar
      ‚ÄĘEffexor
      ‚ÄĘSeroquel¬†
      ive ran out of all options for medications so they threw me on effexor and although my anxiety has been absolutely crucial this past year and a half (3 attacks lasting 1 month +) ive noticed a strange effect pop up these last few days. 
      So currently I feel like im here but not here. Like everything looks weird, almost like im watching life go by through a screen. Im unable to fully concentrate on anything and i just feel exhausted. I feel like im not here but i know i am. Semi like a zombie,? Its kinda like disassociating but with my eyes. Everyone i know just looks different and everything is just strange,.. i was holding my baby brother and didnt feel like i actually was? I was talking and walking and id just suddenly stop and space out. Everything just feels distant. It also comes in waves, i will feel normal for a bit and then WHAM it attacks me from around the corner just like my panic attacks.
      I literally cannot explain what i feel but what is this?? Anyone else kinda feel the same??
      the thing is a month ago my doctor prescribed me Effexor and she told me it would take a month to get in my system, and i feel like this is a negitive effect from it. Including my memory loss . And all ive heard is negitive reviews. So im starting to panic, like horribly. Im scared im going to feel like this forever and idk what to do? Im an artist and i can no longer draw due to this and its making me worry. 
    • By Blahblah
      Since Trintillex had absolutely no effect (on my anhedonia), my pdoc suggested Effexor. I'm very wary about Effexor due to the horrible withdrawals I had with Cymbalta 10 years ago. I don't remember it helping me much, not worth the withdrawals. If I missed 1 dose by mistake, I would be a trembling mess with full-on brain zaps, anxiety, crying spells, the works...
      I have tried all of the SSRI's and most make me numb, tired & kill libido. These meds help acute depression, but what about for stable-ongoing low mood-anhedonia? Like when you feel no excitement/joy in anything?
      Effexor has an even shorter half-life than Cymbalta, which worries me. Question: Will Effexor help symptoms of anhedonia, low mood, low motivation? What was the main difference you felt between the two? (did they feel relatively the same, or did one work much better with less/different side effects??)