Catwoman

Increasing Zoloft / sertraline to 200 mg

31 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, browri said:

@Catwoman I actually have an idea that you might be interested in. And @mikl_pls check my work on this one because I know I can count on you ;)

Clomipramine and fluvoxamine may both be the answer here if you're finding that anxiety and OCD-like symptoms are difficult to treat along with your depression:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8666564

Clomipramine (as a molecule hereby referred to as CMI) is extensively metabolized by CYP1A2 to desmethylclomipramine (DCMI). While CMI is a strong serotonin reuptake inhibiter, DCMI is mostly a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. CMI has a shorter half-life ranging from 19 to 37 hours while DCMI ranges from 54 to 77. This means clomipramine as a whole at steady state has a higher affinity for the norepinephrine transporter.

Luvox happens to be a strong CYP1A2 inhibitor (as well as an SSRI of course) and by taking it with clomipramine, you can increase the levels of CMI in your system and this fluvoxamine/clomipramine combination would be a much stronger serotonin reuptake inhibitor combined with the potency of fluvoxamine's sigma receptor properties.

In fact, Stephen Stahl goes into this combination in some detail in his Essential Psychpharmacology PDR.

Thoughts?

Great article! The only thing I foresee is increased levels of clomipramine from coadministration with fluvoxamine, so low doses of clomipramine would need to be used, and probably even routine blood work to monitor the levels of clomipramine to make sure they're within therapeutic range and not in toxic range.

17 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Apparently, they've used up to 400 mg sertraline before in treatment-refractory patients.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16426083

Yes, I found that article earlier. I've been on 250 mg for about two weeks, but it seemed to make my intrusive thought(s) more frequent....Not sure if 400 mg does the trick when 20 mg of ecitalopram and 200 mg of fluvoxamine did...
I think I could handle 400 mg (though I should not take it before bed, because it irritates my stomach and esophagus) but I don't think my doctor would approve.

I wonder about the role of those sigma recepters, since sertraline is an antagonist and fluvoxamine and fluoxetine are angonists at that site.

Edited by Catwoman

7 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Great article! The only thing I foresee is increased levels of clomipramine from coadministration with fluvoxamine, so low doses of clomipramine would need to be used, and probably even routine blood work to monitor the levels of clomipramine to make sure they're within therapeutic range and not in toxic range.

I found a Dutch article on that combo:

http://www.dejongepsychiater.nl/onderzoek/842-fluvoxamine-clomipramine-ocd-depressie

Maybe Google Translate will work. The writers of the article aren't quite sure if there's enough clinical evidence of the addition of clomipramine to fluvoxamine.
But they do think it can be useful for refractory OCD....

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I found a Dutch article on that combo:

http://www.dejongepsychiater.nl/onderzoek/842-fluvoxamine-clomipramine-ocd-depressie

Maybe Google Translate will work. The writers of the article aren't quite sure if there's enough clinical evidence of the addition of clomipramine to fluvoxamine.
But they do think it can be useful for refractory OCD....

Makes me wonder what the difference between combining clomipramine and fluvoxamine and just administering supratherapeutic doses of fluvoxamine is (> 300 mg/day).

As for the interaction between CYP1A2, luckily most of the population are rapid CYP1A2 metabolizers.

17 hours ago, Savannah said:

There are many books by Stahl including several that say "Essential Psychopharmacology ".

which o you recommend?

The one I have is the 5th Edition of his Prescriber's Guide, but the 6th Edition just came out. I've gotta get it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By compcode000
      With Anxietyzone gone I'm hoping I can find some constructive feedback from you guys. I have panic disorder with agoraphobia, have been on Prozac, Lexapro and now Zoloft. All three have worked but eventually built tolerance. Would increase dose, achieve remission, poop out, be at max dose and have to switch to a new ssri. 
      Currently dealing with a semi-breakdown. Can't drive over bridges, avoiding wide open spaces, having intense thoughts that I'm about to go crazy, lose control etc...the usual. 
      To my question. pdoc instructed me to raise zoloft dose from 100 to 125. I'm hesitant making such large jumps. So yesterday I increased to 112.5mg. I usually experience activation effects, jitters, agitation which I consider a positive sign because it usually means I will feel the anxiolytic effects after a couple weeks. I didn't feel the activation effects yesterday, when I increased my dosage. Should I be concerned ? 
    • By jenann0228
      Hi All-
      I endured neglect / abuse from my biological mother from the ages of 0-4...so yeah, I have issues. One of my biggest is anxiety in relationships. I have an amazing boyfriend who I KNOW I can trust deep down. However, I still have anxiety, panic attacks and turn into a mess when he does something as simple as go out with friends. I know this is so irrational, and I have nothing to worry about (except my irrationality driving him away). I just want to be "normal" and say "bye, have a great time" and just hang out at home, get a hobby, etc. But I find myself sitting here paranoid and anxious as hell. And then I text. And then I ask when he'll be home. And then I ask who he's with ... if you've experienced it, you get it. I'm at a loss of what to do. I've been on a cocktail of meds in the past year and diagnosed with everything from bipolar to borderline, and finally I have a doctor that I think I can trust. He's told me anxiety with a bit of PTSD is my main problem, and has put me on Zoloft starting at 50mg. 
      I'm looking for anyone who has attachment anxiety on here to let me know if Zoloft has helped at all? And if so, what has -- medication wise and therapy wise?
      THANK YOU

• By demonicix
      Hi! I've been taking 50mg of sertraline for around about 6(ish) months now. I was prescribed it for generalised anxiety and depression. It has helped a lot more with my anxiety - more calm, not as panicky as before, no anxiety attacks etc. However, i've noticed that i've become very lethargic. I've had not much energy or motivation & i have neglected basic needs such as hygiene (i sometimes dont shower for like a week or two) & food intake (either i eat too much or nothing at all, usually quick meals or unhealthy stuff). I find it hard to get out of bed & go to college/stay at college. Due to this my attendance is not great. This happens even if i've had a decent nights sleep. My overall mood has either been  neutral or negative, like a 5/10 or below. I've noticed I get angry & irritated quicker, to the point where i hurt people without meaning to or break personal objects like my computer mouse, phone, hairbrush. I also relapsed on self harm after going for so long without even thinking about it. I've had more thoughts of suicide, self injury and hurting other people.
      Has anyone else had similar experiences or other negative experiences whilst taking sertraline? What should I do? Will i have to stop this medication? I'm pleased I'm not so prone to anxiety attacks, but i would like to stop feeling apathetic & depressed so often...
      edit: uh...so i was meant to write another paragraph about more minor effects but i forgot. Since taking sertraline i've also been unable to focus on tasks for too long (small things can be distracting like, oh look at those lights, someone just walked in the room, the computer beeped at me, a friend sneezed, theres a cat outside etc), i have difficulty in understanding people - often asking them to repeat stuff and i forget things more often... 
    • By Catwoman
      Hi!
      Today is my 28th day on sertraline. I have titrated up to 100 mg. I know these meds can take up to 6 weeks to work. Luvox worked for me with 5 weeks on 150 mg and I think I have been on 200mg as well. It pooped out so my second ssri was Lexapro, which kicked in faster at 3 weeks ( at 10 mg). After 6 years this one pooped out as well.
      Last May, when the poop out happened, my general doctor was pushing new therapy and didn't switch me to another ssri, which I did not really like. He did increase Lexapro to 15 mg but after 4 weeks things were still the same and started the therapy and mindfulness classes. Meanwhile I slowly weaned off from the Lexapro, since I saw no use staying on it. I tried some alternative things like NAC, combined it with magnesium, vitamines, omega 3 and ginko biloba...but nothing really worked.
      So after 4,5 months of being 100% medication free I asked my general doc for a consultation with a pdoc. The pdoc advised sertraline 100 mg or maybe a little more. A last ssri trial. I am extremely concerned that it won't kickin this week. I just can't imagine it doing anything. I know it is a bit too early to write it off and go on something else but I'd like to hear some opinions. 
      The pdoc who does the consultations suggested (during the first and only appointment) a switch to clomipramine/Anafranil or augment with Seroquel (PRN dose, though I still don't know how this will help with stuck, unwanted repetitive thoughts) but only if Zoloft doesn't work for me. My general doc will follow this advice but I from everything I gathered there are so much more options...for example Prozac or adding Abilify or even nortriptyline. That pdoc said that more appointments with him arent possible. Which means I have to find another one...which can take weeks :-(

One last thing: the side effects I am having are almost unnoticable. Some RLS in the early morning, slight stomach irritation (1 of 2 times a week) and vivid dreaming. I had more anxiety the first two weeks and that's it...

I think I could go higher in dose without much trouble. But could a higher dose do the trick or do I supposed to feel something already? 

Sigh...I just want to get out of this situation...