Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madmax15

Something wrong with making friends?!

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have this issue with trying to make friends.

-I went to a support group for mental illness and the person who ran the group said to me "you're not here to make friends"

-I was trying to make friends at work and someone said "you're not here to make friends. You're here to work!"

-Some guy kept trying to ring my friend and she's like "he must be lonely."

Like there's something wrong with ringing somebody?!

WTF I don't understand the above scenarios?!

Edited by madmax15
ppl make mistakes

There is a time and a place for everything. Maybe the facilitator of the support group though you were taking up too much of the group's time making small talk. Similarly, you go to work and the employer expects you to work and not using it as a social occasion. 

I don't understand what you are trying to say about the guy trying to call your friend. Not enough context. It seems to me that she just didn't want to talk to him.

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I don't understand what you are trying to say about the guy trying to call your friend. Not enough context. It seems to me that she just didn't want to talk to him.

He was ringing her everyday. Maybe once a month would be better? Or maybe not at all?

I don't understand why people keep bitching about someone trying to be friendly and then call them a loner...

Edited by madmax15
j

You don't ring someone every day unless you are already best friends with them. Otherwise, it can be harassment and is just creepy.

I think you really need to look into some groups for social skills. It's really impossible for us to help much with social skills over the internet. If you can't find a group, then as we've always told you, find a counselor or therapist to help you.

Posted (edited)

Leave people alone and I'm a loner.

Try to make friends and I get a rep of a loner trying to make friends and there's something wrong with that!?!?!

Edited by madmax15

it's more an over-familiarity thing. talk to someone once a week or something til you're closer. in work/therapy environments it's sometimes less about talking about fun stuff and more serious. but it does depend on the work and therapy environments. my group encourages us to make friends with each other so we have more of a support network

On 4/21/2017 at 0:08 PM, huntforbravery said:

but it does depend on the work and therapy environments

I was at a grocery shop trying to buy some vegetables and one of the girls working there thought it was my first day working there and got abit chatty - her boss STRAIGHT AWAY called her out on it and said "get back to work!"

Edited by madmax15

8 hours ago, madmax15 said:

I was at a grocery shop trying to buy some vegetables and one of the girls working there thought it was my first day working there and got abit chatty - her boss STRAIGHT AWAY called her out on it and said "get back to work!"

some bosses are just stinkers