CrazyBoards.org

Hello. Around a week ago my Seroquel dose got increased from 150mg a day to 300mg a day. I take it for bipolar I and autism spectrum disorder. I take 150mg early in the morning, before school and the other half before going to sleep. 

I'm feeling extremely tired and drowsy. I find it hard to concentrate which is an issue because I have a very demanding academic life that requires me to be awake and cognitively at my peak. Since it manages my psychosis and makes me able to tolerate life I am reluctant to stop taking it. I have taken risperidone and amisulpride before but they make me extremely irritable/ don't quite stop the psychosis.

In addition to Seroquel I take 20mg of escitalopram (lexapro generic). My question is, will the tiredness go away? Or do I ask for a change? 

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Possibly. Unfortunately u gotta give it a little time. Is it ir or Xr? Some people can take it all at night 

It is XR

It never fully went away for me, but it did get better to the point where I could function as a full time student (I was on 600 mg for years).  Getting out of bed in the morning was always like dragging myself out of a tar pit, but I got to where I was okay during the day.

For me the tiredness went away completely. When I first took it (200mg of immediate release version, all at bedtime it knocked me right out and I needed 12 hours to sleep it off. Eventually I developed a tolerance and it had no sedative effect. When I tried taking XR (all at night) it didn't knock me out really, but spread the sedation out so I felt it some the next day.

Overall many find XR to be milder sedation-wise because it releases slowly. It took quite a few months before i completely adjusted. If it works for you I'd suggest persevere if you can. Talk to your doc about possible dosing or formula change to address the fatigue. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Unburdened
      I'm a female and I've on a very small dose of Lexapro. I've only been on it 4 days and already it's virtually impossible to orgasm and if I do it's a disappointment as it's such a dull orgasm. The doctor thinks I should stay on it for a month to see if there are improvements. Has anybody tried this and have the sexual problems decreased once your body gets used to the Lexapro? The doctor has said it is my decision whether I continue with it.
    • By hannahthered
      I'm currently on the lowest dose of Risperdal for severe OCD.  Not long after I started taking it, I nearly fainted in class and had to go home for the day.  The dizziness came on very quickly, and my vision started to turn black (to put it simply.  The effect is hard to describe)  I could hardly hear what people were saying, and the event lasted for a very short amount of time.  I felt nauseous, and my stomach was in a lot of pain.
      Is this a common side effect of Risperdal (assuming it was caused by this particular drug)?  If so, has anybody else had a similar experience with this medication?
    • By KnickNak
      I have been struggling for the last month or so with the meds. I am off Cymbalta completely ( was on it for 2 years ) on Friday or Saturday I started taking 300mg XR of Seroquel from 200mg XR... the first 3 nights had akathesia .
      Now I am having anxiety attacks, feeling like an elephant is on my chest, I am dizzy and off balance and get this woosh of anxiety almost like I am going to black out and I literally scream and grab on to something. I can't really describe it, it's if you were to feel like when your stomach is hollow.. that's how my heart/chest feels. It's scary as fuck. I am losing my shit. I cry and close my eyes until it fades or at least where it's not as intense. I have this look of fear and everyone asks why I look scared? What the fuck? 
      I am losing confidence in myself again, I am taking 5 steps backwards instead of forward. I am very depressed about it. And this time of the year makes me depressed.. for some reason I really miss my dog right now. I think because this time last year.. She got sick and I was taking care of her everyday and was with her 24/7 .. even the smell of outside right now reminds me of her. I still have her bed under the Piano; it is sad walking by it and seeing it empty, but I am not getting rid of it. 
      Anyway.. Does Seroquel make you anxious and make you feel like you are falling off a cliff? Is that a thing? Am I having a bad reaction even tho I have been on it for way over a year. Isn't this shit suppose to relax you?  

• By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys!
      I’m new to this forum, so this will be my first post. I’ve found a lot of comfort reading about all of your experiences. Thank you for that!
      I recently started taking abilify to control my hypomania. Started on 1.25 mg for a week, and I’ve been on 2.5 mg for little over a week now. I am extremely sensitive to medication - especially the ones acting on dopamine. I probably won’t be able to get above 2.5 mg - maybe 5 mg if I’m lucky. 
      If abilify doesn’t work, Lithium will be next.
      My problem is... Abilify is making me hypomanic. 1.25 mg made me hypomanic for about 4 days, then it stopped. Since upping my dosage to 2.5 mg I have been hypomanic, and it doesn’t seem to end anytime soon. It’s uncomfortable activating for me. I have read about some similar experiences, BUT I haven’t read about anyone having this reaction, and then actually found relief from hypomania/mania afterwards - staying on the same low dosage.
      I’m really desperate, since I’ve pretty much tried everything else and do not want to end up on lithium. 
      Let me know what you think! :-)))
      Sarah / Denmark