CrazyBoards.org

Hello. Around a week ago my Seroquel dose got increased from 150mg a day to 300mg a day. I take it for bipolar I and autism spectrum disorder. I take 150mg early in the morning, before school and the other half before going to sleep. 

I'm feeling extremely tired and drowsy. I find it hard to concentrate which is an issue because I have a very demanding academic life that requires me to be awake and cognitively at my peak. Since it manages my psychosis and makes me able to tolerate life I am reluctant to stop taking it. I have taken risperidone and amisulpride before but they make me extremely irritable/ don't quite stop the psychosis.

In addition to Seroquel I take 20mg of escitalopram (lexapro generic). My question is, will the tiredness go away? Or do I ask for a change? 

Possibly. Unfortunately u gotta give it a little time. Is it ir or Xr? Some people can take it all at night 

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Possibly. Unfortunately u gotta give it a little time. Is it ir or Xr? Some people can take it all at night 

It is XR

It never fully went away for me, but it did get better to the point where I could function as a full time student (I was on 600 mg for years).  Getting out of bed in the morning was always like dragging myself out of a tar pit, but I got to where I was okay during the day.

For me the tiredness went away completely. When I first took it (200mg of immediate release version, all at bedtime it knocked me right out and I needed 12 hours to sleep it off. Eventually I developed a tolerance and it had no sedative effect. When I tried taking XR (all at night) it didn't knock me out really, but spread the sedation out so I felt it some the next day.

Overall many find XR to be milder sedation-wise because it releases slowly. It took quite a few months before i completely adjusted. If it works for you I'd suggest persevere if you can. Talk to your doc about possible dosing or formula change to address the fatigue. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By manuka
      I have quite a long history of major depressive disorder, with anxiety, along with an ED that I've recovered and relapsed with several times over the last 15 years.
      Over the years I've been prescribed paxil(gave me double vision), citalopram (worked well for around 12 years, but left me constantly exhausted and flat) and currently effexor-xr/venlafaxine. I'm currently spiraling down pretty badly, after over a year of several traumatic events and other stressors, and my dr has prescribed seroquel/quetiapine 25mg, to help me sleep and as an ajunct to the effexor I'm already taking. I've taken it two nights so far, and I don't know if I should persevere with it or not. It helps me sleep alright, I'm asleep by 10:30pm, instead of still being awake at 3am, however I have such a hangover that doesn't wear off until about 5pm, and it seems to be making me angry and even more depressed.
      This is a small dose so it shouldn't be hitting me so hard? Should I persevere? I'm currently not functional due to MDD, have had to take time off work, don't know if I even still have a job. I'm also struggling with the idea of taking an antipsychotic when I'm not psychotic. The stigma etc. Which is in my own head because the only people who know I'm taking it are my self and my dr. And I'm afraid of losing my intelligence on it. I pride myself on my intelligence. It's the only strength I feel I have.
    • By Quakermom74
      I realize that I have been having a bad physical reaction to remeron since I started taking it near the end of November. I am currently taking 7.5 mg, cutting down from 15 mg two weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone had stopped taking remeron after being on a 7.5 mg dose or do you need to break that in half? I was also wondering if anyone had gone from remeron to seroquel? I am already having a hard time sleeping and was thinking about going back to my old 50 mg seroquel dose at night instead of the remeron. I will see nurse practitioner on Monday but wanted to hear experiences from other people.
    • By neptune93
      I have been taking my meds like I am supposed to and they do help. But for some reason, the only thing that really does the trick right now is coffee. It ups my mood, makes depression go away. It makes fatigue go away. I read a study that found that bipolar patients that drank coffee had a decreased chance of suicide compared to those that dont drink coffee. Why does coffee make me feel so good but other people it just gives them more energy? I'm ordering a mug off amazon that says "RX: Coffee." Thought it would be fitting,
    • By kinipela36
      I was prescribed busbar a few months ago. My anxiety has got the best of me and I was too scared to even start taking it (I have a lot of tummy issues since anxiety rules me) but last night as I walked into my brand new house (just bought a home but I’m anxious and scared and completely on edge every night that I go home) I thought I can’t do this anymore! Being completely uptight, nervous and shaky, scared of every little noise-feeling like I’m not even letting a full breath out! So I took it. I know it’s not gonna affect me for some time-but what can I expect? I’d like to hear the good and bad of this med