Rhodos

Is this a Manic episode?

16 posts in this topic

Hello people, 

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area/way. My first ever post. 

A friend of mine thinks I am Bipolar. I have suffered ocd and depression for many years now. Self harm, suicide idealisation. Recently, during a period of about 2 weeks I stole like, 3 laptops and a phone from a library. The thing is I don't really remember doing it. I remember during the period I did not seem to worry of any consequences. I did not feel depressed. I felt no fear. (Yes I got caught and admitted to the offences and have been punished by the courts). I have yet to mention this to my Doctor though.

To imagine myself doing this is awful. It is out of character and reckless. I can no longer go down a chosen career path due to this.

Does this sound like manic behaviour?

If it's out of character behavior, and especially if you have no memory of doing it, you very much need to mention it to your doctor. We can't diagnose you over the Internet, but whatever is going on, it sounds not good.

Welcome to CB. If you need help figuring out how the site works, please feel free to PM me or any of the other mods.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I can remember parts. But I couldn't tell you in what order I took certain items. I did not realise I had returned and committed an offence 2 days in a row until the court read this information out. The police would not accept that my memory was hazy. The were certain that I was a Heroin addict and that this was my motivating factor. "You can get help you know?" they kept insisting. I am not a crack and/or Heroin addict.  Anyway I am only having treatment for anxiety/depression with 200mg Sertraline/Zoloft. 

I see my GP this week coming and I will make sure I mention this episode(s). It is certainly self destructive, life altering behaviour. I was perhaps going to train as a Teacher one day. Now I will be lucky to get a job picking up dog crap ahah. 

A manic episode involves many symptoms and only a doctor can diagnose you. But I can say, whatever is going on, that sounds very scary!

You might want to think about any other recent behavior that was either out of character, or has happened before episodically and is somehow problematic. That would be useful information for your Dr, one way or the other. Also any use of any alcohol or drugs, legal or otherwise. I have done out of character things, not the same as your situation, so I have some idea how puzzling it can be, among other things. I hope your Dr can help you sort it out. 

6 hours ago, Rhodos said:

I see my GP this week coming and I will make sure I mention this episode(s). It is certainly self destructive, life altering behaviour. I was perhaps going to train as a Teacher one day. Now I will be lucky to get a job picking up dog crap ahah. 

People can and do have successful careers after engaging in criminal activity.  Especially if you can prove that it was related to mental illness and that you are being treated.  You don't have to give up hope for your life because of a mistake or two.

What I'd do is sit down and try to remember everything you can about that time period and write it down, having on hand a list of symptoms of a manic episode to look at and maybe trigger a recall in events. I'd write down everything you can remember, and take it to your doctor. That's how I got medicated and eventually diagnosed.

1 person likes this

Yeah in England, it is the equivalent of a felony in the US. 

During the time of this behaviour. I don't seem to be overly plagued with anxiety. I remember thinking 'You will be caught for this..." and I sort of thought, 'oh well' and shrugged it off. Needless to say a few days later the Police arrived. I was being threatened with jail etc. Of course that was worrying. But I remember thinking 'Who will look after my Sister's Guinea pigs if I go to prison?' ..... Which isn't a very logical or 'sane' thought. 

19 hours ago, Rhodos said:

Yeah in England, it is the equivalent of a felony in the US. 

During the time of this behaviour. I don't seem to be overly plagued with anxiety. I remember thinking 'You will be caught for this..." and I sort of thought, 'oh well' and shrugged it off. Needless to say a few days later the Police arrived. I was being threatened with jail etc. Of course that was worrying. But I remember thinking 'Who will look after my Sister's Guinea pigs if I go to prison?' ..... Which isn't a very logical or 'sane' thought. 

Pretty much yeah, I felt like a god, and that I could do anything.

It could be sure, but risk taking, out of character behaviour could be caused by a number of things. A manic episode has a range of symptoms and is unlikely to be diagnosed purely on the basis of behaving like that.

Yeah. I feel low currently. Convinced there is little point telling my Gp about this as they won't take it seriously or help me. It seems to be a trend in England; where various antidepressants are thrown at a person and that is all.

No. But I do have an appointment with a Psychiatric nurse next week at a Nuerology Hospital; concerning a brain/head injury 2 years ago. I feel I should mention it to the Nurse....

You should mention it, all of it, to the nurse; and Jacques had very good advice.

1 person likes this

Yeah I will mention it. Thanks people. I am taking all of your advice on board. Just pretty sceptical and scared of not being taken seriously and not being able to get help.

1 person likes this