CrazyBoards.org

ananke

Snap general election in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39628533

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713

Sorry, this happened literally an hour or so ago so one of the links is 'live'. Essentially on the 8th of June the UK will hold a general election. This came somewhat out of the blue, as it was generally assumed the next general election would happen in 2020 (the first link should discuss that). Regardless of my political beliefs, this just seems like such a mess. Only a year after Brexit and May replacing Cameron after he quit. Any other Brits on here have an opinion? Can't imagine I'll vote for anyone other than Labour/Corbyn. I just can't bring myself to vote for anyone else, or abstain entirely. Not necessary an endorsement mind you, I have a lot a lot of issues with Labour

Theresa May has called a snap election as she knows the Tories will win over a Labour in absolute disarray. I'll still vote Labour/Corbyn, but I can see them losing even more seats than they did at the last general election. All we can hope for is that the voting public see the Tory party for the fools that they are and vote accordingly. Labour voters turn out was really poor at the last election, so maybe a few more of them will come forward and cast their votes. I can't deal with another 4 years of the Conservatives :/

• Like 2

Yeah. My doomsday dad thinks there'll be a Labour split. Possibly with some old Blairite/anti-Corbyn lot joining up with the Lib Dem's. Basically, strong Tory party, weak secondary parties. It'd be great if people had learnt from the last GE and Brexit referendum- that if nothing else, protest votes count as legitimate votes. As long as what you vote for (or don't) is true to your beliefs thats kind of all I'm hoping for :/ 

The first Labour MP has already broken ranks and said he won't stand in the general. I'm pretty sure it was Tom Blenkinsop, citiing differences with Corbyn as his reason not to stand. I think Corbyn could take a bit of a battering this week. I can see a Labour split happening over the course of the next few weeks as the snap draws closer. It'll be an interesting yet worrying time.

• Like 1

I can imagine them being utterly foolish enough to try a split before the GE. It'd be a terrible, reckless, selfish idea, but likely.

At this point, nothing would surprise me. I think it's just the timeframe that might stop it. There's only six weeks to go and that's a pretty small amount of time to move a whole motion of MPs. I think you're right though, I bet it won't stop them from trying!

It's a possibility I guess. I think it would depend on what exactly happens at the election if there are no changes made beforehand. May has thrown us in to a bit of a mess really. Still needs to pass with a two thirds majority in the house before it happens though. That might be a saving grace.

Try being in Scotland and knowing your vote doesn't exactly count.. 

(Oh well can the other three seats go to the SNP?) 

• Like 1

There is talk that the snap election is over the 2015 electoral fraud case and MPs involved being charged

It'd be nice to think so but it seems more like May is capitalising on her current popularity. Plus, no one would be able to accuse her of being unelected

As a Tory I'm still confused about this. I'm quite annoyed because my local MP is an excellent man and I have great respect for him. He has done so much for my constituency and he has an 100% response rate. I've met him, great man. This general election could put his seat at risk and if he loses, the lib Dems will take over which would be a catastrophe for my constituency. 

If we have another coalition I think the chances for a good deal with the EU will go out of the window.

1 hour ago, ananke said:

It'd be nice to think so but it seems more like May is capitalising on her current popularity. Plus, no one would be able to accuse her of being unelected

Yet having to fight over 24 by-elections because of MP's losing seats. That wipes out their majority unless thaey win every seat again in a by election

37 minutes ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

If we have another coalition I think the chances for a good deal with the EU will go out of the window.

I'd say a better deal for more people. Most people would suffer under the deal that TM is proposing. However it does cut negotiating time with the EU. 

1 hour ago, ananke said:

We don't vote for prime ministers...we vote for MPs and parties. Parliamentary sovereignty all the way YAIIII.

She was voted by Maidenhaid and her party won so she has every right to be prime minister since her party which was the winning party voted for her. 

We're not 'mericans :lol: 

My MP in my constituency which I voted for, voted for her. If I trust him to give him a vote, I trust his decision for voting May as a Conservative leader.

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

I like my local (Labour) MP too! A 'purple' region generally but last general election she just about won. I know we don't vote for PM's directly, but there has been criticism that she's making decisions even though we didn't vote for her. Not saying those criticisms are anything other than jaded voters, but they are there, is my point. TBH this whole thing is a mess. 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/18/brendas-reaction-to-snap-general-election-sums-up-what-we-are-all-thinking-6582159/ no matter where you stand on politics this is pretty funny

I think the SNP may just about whitewas Scotland again. Not just over brexit but over Westminister unilaterally deciding to change the terms of the devolution agreeement plus the arguements over all parts of thr UK being equal.

I am Predicting some very low turnouts in Scotland with "Voter apathy". 7 differnet votes in just over 3 years. I'll go and vote though. 

• Like 1

I'll vote Lib Dem because in the county I live they're the next closest party that can get rid of the Tory control on Dorset. Even if their votes did plummet here in the last election. I can get on board with what the Lib Dems stand for. I haven't kept up with politics for the last few years to be honest, it's mostly been focused on American politics the stuff I have watched. Because Trump. But yes, I don't think my vote is going to count much here unless there's a resurgence for LD again.

• Like 2

Newspapers are now picking up that the election is most likely due to the fraud charges that are likely to be forthcoming for some Tory MP's. 

I know who I am voting for both in the council elections and also the UK general election. 

But what I can't understand Honorable Jimmy is how anyone who can legal be defined as disabled can vote for a party who want to strip the NHS and other support to nothing. 

So now May appears to only be able to speak in soundbites. She even did it when asked why NHS staff were having to use foodbanks. What an odious woman she is. Unfortunately I see her still being the leader of our country after June 8th :/

• Like 2

Discussing the current political climate with my housemate. She has a friend on Facebook who has said "If you vote Tory, delete me from your friendlist". I don't know why people make such sweeping generalisations when the debate is more interesting than being close-minded. Still, the Tories can do one as far as I'm concerned lol.

• Like 1

Ok niw that is the local council elections outbthe way.. hopefully some manifestos get published soon. 

• Like 1

No way any party but Tory is gonna win, makes my heart hurt. :( I work in social care and it's absolutely harrowing seeing the amount of people destitute because their disability benefit and support has been unjustly taken away, people contacting us because they're hungry and can't get food, or further marginilised by others because of their race. 

My friend made a good point though - we were expecting a general election in 2020, now we can expect another in 2022. It's only an extra two years of the Tories, not five.

• Like 1

Need to get the Youth Vote and the rest of the u40 demographic to actually vote. They are the ones most likely to vote Any one but Tory. 

Edited by helenllama
  • Like 1

Yeah definitely. I hope a miracle happens and my generation (I'm 21) turns out to vote in large numbers. Don't think it'll happen though. :(

• Like 1