CrazyBoards.org

ananke

Snap general election in the UK

I must say that elections in the UK are interesting. A lot more interesting than in the US. In the US, we are all too often faced with choosing the candidate which scares us the least. People in the UK know how to have some fun with the elections.

Yes, not to minimize the significance, but they are prettt fascinating.  We can't even get a third party that has had a consistent platform and consistency support off the ground, much less all the randomly interesting and humorous ones.  

20 hours ago, ananke said:

Hearing rumblings that it might be in breach of the Good Friday Agreement... hopefully the BBC is an ok source! This is just... not a coalition I can see lasting. The Tories seem like they're just picking a new leader and letting May take all the blame until they have enough strength to kick her out.

And given that the powersharing issue that there currently is in N. Ireland between Sinn Fein and the DUP.  (Basically yet another assembly election or going back to direct rule from Westmonster).

In other news there is still a large pro-Indy Majority in Holyrood, Westmonster and the EU so Scotland declaring Independence is still on the cards.  

• Like 1

*Sigh* anyone else smell another general election in the near future... this is somehow an even less functional coalition than the Lib-Con's. In that relationship at least it was very clear Cameron was just going to completely ignore anything Clegg et al. wanted. This just sort of feels like TM is a hollow sock puppet the Tories are forcing to dance while Brexit negotiations happen. Sure she'll be given the shove soon :/ and Gods help us all if Boris Johnson becomes the PM. Imagine him and Trump together. 

I don't think British politics has ever taken itself too seriously (barring the two main parties of course). Pitt the Younger was only 24 when he was elected, and is still made fun of now! But yeah, I've only been eligible to vote in the last 6 years and it's been a rollercoaster (nothing I've voted for has gone through lol, apart from local MP. Maybe the universe is telling me something). What are the next generations going to think of us?

EDIT: also I think regardless of your political beliefs or side of the pond, we can all agree that things are pretty intense and weird right now. This may just be my 20 something self though

Edited by ananke