TheThing2Do

Buspar for ADD

4 posts in this topic

I was recently prescribed Buspar during an inpatient stay. I was told it could kick in quickly and that it would be augmenting my SSRI. It was prescribed primarily for depression/anxiety/aggression. The psychiatrist told me buspar can often kick in fairly quickly but that it seems to lack effect in a fair number of people and it is a "hit or miss" drug. You either love it or feel nothing at all. They started me right off on a medium dose (10 mg 2x/day) and I actually lowered it myself due to feeling extreme anhedonia and numbed out the day I came home from the hospital, which I thought might have been from it (now on 5 mg 2x/day).  That could have been a coincidence though, i am not sure. I have only been on it about 5 days but it seemed to begin helping around day 2. It SEEMS to be helping with my flitting thoughts, uncontrolled obsessions on irrational negativity and worry, irritability, etc. Whether the improvements are from the buspar or placebo effect I am not sure and time will tell, but right now I am chalking it up to the Buspar. Anyway, I do not have ADHD but I do have untreated ADD. I was first diagnosed at age 16 or so (28 now) and have only been on stimulant medicines which in recent years have increased my irritability and aggression, so I have been untreated. I have been wanting to inquire about trying a non-stimulant ADD medicine because I would love to read books again or do any of the many things I can no longer do with untreated ADD. 

So anyways, I was reading about Buspar and read a number of studies that had promising results on Buspar being used for ADHD, both in children and in adults. Has anyone with ADD or ADHD tried buspar? Did you feel it helped specifically with focus and concentration in any way? Thanks guys!

I've heard of it but never used it personally...it really is a hit or miss, and ur on a low dose

I've taken Buspar.  I believe it helped with anxiety a little, but it definitely didn't do anything for my ADHD.

Two other non stimulant ADHD medications are Strattera and Intuniv.  I never tried Intuniv, but I know that it has a slim (if any) chance of helping ADHD. I was on Strattera; it did something good, but didn't give me any identifiable help with my ADHD.

My Emsam patch actually does help treat my ADHD - however, it's a MAOI.

In my case, Modafinil helps me as well; but, I don't know if it would without the Emsam.  Those two meds work together for me.

Buspirone is quite rightly classified as having a "Low level of support" on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder_management#Comparative_efficacy.2C_tolerability_and_regulatory_status (which is a very good comparison of virtually every currently-available on- and off-label ADHD medication out there that is generally kept quite up to date and does a pretty good job of assessing scientific evidence in support of off-label ADHD medications). Thus it is really quite a poor choice for ADHD, and if you are unable to tolerate stimulants, "non-stimulant" options such as atomoxetine (Strattera), clonidine (Catapres/Dixarit/Kapvay), guanfacine (Intuniv/Tenex), modafinil (Provigil/Modavigil), and bupropion (Wellbutrin) would all be much better options to try if your intent is treating ADHD.