CrazyBoards.org

What kind of job do you enjoy? 

I really enjoyed working in security for quite a while. Always time to socialize, adaptive to both low and high energy states. Always new situations to manage. Need space? Do a perimeter check, or pretend to read important stuff. Need to keep busy? Create a new filing system, or help someone out with whatever they're doing or forgot to do.

In a sucky job right now and brainstorming. Also interested in what everyone else likes to do and why.

En Todas! 

-Toas 

I enjoy jobs where I can chat with people all day. Customer service generally.

I can't work anymore, but when I was in high school/first part of college, I worked in a grocery store as a cashier and customer service manager.  I didn't like being the CSM as much because I found it a little stressful, but I could do it if asked.

I liked being a cashier because like @mcjimjam I was chatting with people all day (I was able to do that back then without it draining me), but it wasn't one person all day.  It was a variety of people, some I know, some I didn't.  But I did like that job a lot.

I like office jobs in cubicles (medical billing for me) where I don't need to talk to customers on a phone, or do anything like that. Just do stuff on a computer. 

I like software engineering jobs where I can work on things at my own pace in a relatively relaxed atmosphere. I never work from home, though; I need the structure of an actual work environment to be productive and I need a clear division between work and home.

I like teaching, and I think I'm fairly good at it too. I also like research.

Out of all the jobs I've had (all have been customer service), I liked working at Bath & Body Works the most. I worked there over Christmas holiday when I was 18 and there was at least some sorts of challenge in helping boyfriends/sons/brothers/etc shop for their girlfriends/mothers/sisters/etc. I wish they had kept me on and I hadn't worked at Dunkin Donuts.

I work in law enforcement. I talk to people a lot, but I don't have to be customer service-level friendly, and well, I like having authority. lol. Low-key days are great for getting my shit together and do administrative stuff like paperwork, and I thrive in the really intense situations when I have to trust my instincts, think on my feet, and communicate to my partner and to others. So far that's been the only job I've truly enjoyed. 

Other than that, I loved university. I studied criminology and I loved nearly every course I took. I've thought about going back for grad school for a while, but it's financially difficult. I've had a slew of customer service jobs from working in a bank to being a bridal consultant, and I was miserable in all of them. I worked for 3 years as an addictions counsellor and eventually realized that I lack the empathy to be a truly effective counsellor, so I quit and went into law enforcement, which had been my end game goal anyway.

Like: I like jobs with a lot of variety in tasks (I get super bored with routine mundane tasks) I enjoy a relaxed, laid back environment with the flexibility to work from home every couple weeks. I like regular interaction with people one-on-one, but not TOO much interaction or too many phone calls. Creative environments. I like meaningful work where I can help people or a cause. Independent project work involving behind-the-scenes research/writing, with weekly check-ins with a team are great.

Dislike: I have yet to find a "favorite job" they all go downhill after a year. I really disliked my call center job i had years ago, we had to answer calls at 6am (back to back calls answering the same questions over & over or placing orders) It was totally exhausting. High-pressure Sales job (in an office) are stressful. Any job where you need to make presentations in front of a group (yuck)...I also hate reception/admin-type jobs which I've had in the past...having to be a front desk/concierge and deal with customers all day long, answering constant phones, dealing with ppl standing over you in person, redundant tasks like scheduling meetings, filing, dealing with complaints. I also don't like the new "open table" type offices that do not have any bit of private space. Everytime you are on a phone call everyone hears you, they can see your computer screen - it makes me really anxious and paranoid.  So, i guess my preferred jobs are ones that don't involve the above I mentioned!

I want to find a job I LOVE - anyone have any suggestions for me???!!!

Edited by Blahblah

I loved working as a jeweler, with the caveat that I need to be left alone in the shop so I can do my job in peace. Dealing with customers was also fine. Coworkers were an endless hell. 

That holds true for every job I've ever had.

I used to be a Customer Services Manager for the British government, that was a pretty cool job. That's the sort of thing I'd like to get back to when I'm well enough to work.

My job is pretty varied.  I'm at my best when I have a project that I can work on from start to finish. I do a lot of statistical analysis and report writing, which I enjoy - beating huge spreadsheets of data into submission makes me happy for some reason.  There are also periods during the year when I'm called on to edit various types of academic documents, which I find satisfying too - I guess it feeds my inner control freak.

I hate any kind of uncertainty/lack of clarity about what I'm doing or what is being asked of me.  I loathe and despise the phone and any kind of excessive contact with people outside my immediate team.  Meetings definitely suck.  I'm also in a management role and hate it when I'm forced to take to task one of the people who report to me.

6 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Like: I like jobs with a lot of variety in tasks (I get super bored with routine mundane tasks) I enjoy a relaxed, laid back environment with the flexibility to work from home every couple weeks. I like regular interaction with people one-on-one, but not TOO much interaction or too many phone calls. Creative environments. I like meaningful work where I can help people or a cause. Independent project work involving behind-the-scenes research/writing, with weekly check-ins with a team are great.

Dislike: I have yet to find a "favorite job" they all go downhill after a year. I really disliked my call center job i had years ago, we had to answer calls at 6am (back to back calls answering the same questions over & over or placing orders) It was totally exhausting. High-pressure Sales job (in an office) are stressful. Any job where you need to make presentations in front of a group (yuck)...I also hate reception/admin-type jobs which I've had in the past...having to be a front desk/concierge and deal with customers all day long, answering constant phones, dealing with ppl standing over you in person, redundant tasks like scheduling meetings, filing, dealing with complaints. I also don't like the new "open table" type offices that do not have any bit of private space. Everytime you are on a phone call everyone hears you, they can see your computer screen - it makes me really anxious and paranoid.  So, i guess my preferred jobs are ones that don't involve the above I mentioned!

I want to find a job I LOVE - anyone have any suggestions for me???!!!

Why don't you look into medical billing and coding? The market is good right now, the pay is decent, the courses, depending where you go, are affordable with financial aid, and you get to sit at a desk and do stuff on a computer all day. No customers or answering phones! I'm going to look into it.

5 hours ago, The Hitcher said:

I used to be a Customer Services Manager for the British government, that was a pretty cool job. That's the sort of thing I'd like to get back to when I'm well enough to work.

or construction ;)

4 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

Why don't you look into medical billing and coding? The market is good right now, the pay is decent, the courses, depending where you go, are affordable with financial aid, and you get to sit at a desk and do stuff on a computer all day. No customers or answering phones! I'm going to look into it.

or construction ;)

I don't think that medical billing/coding would be stimulating or interesting enough for me. I can't deal with boring routine tasks... and I am HORRIBLE with any kind of numbers/codes. I have a bit of a numbers phobia :P It does seem like a very in-demand job however. But don't you also have to work in a clinic or medical office?

I'm a lawyer but I am on SSDI, I'm disabled and can't work anymore. I did practice law for several years, however. I did trials and also corporate work. It's a very stressful, competitive field of work. Law school is grueling and expensive and then you have to pass the bar exams. I enjoyed many parts of practicing law ... lots of adrenaline rushes and very intellectually stimulating. The work is NEVER complete, there is always a heavy workload and your focus is to defeat your adversary. John Grisham does a good job of describing what it is like, the daily grist of it. TV legal dramas do not. 

So, I liked it and I did well. I didn't realize I was becoming mentally ill or was already. I'd been long-deemed "sensitive, high-strung but intellectually gifted" as a child.  I was really MI.  The pace and competitiveness of the profession was like throwing gasoline on my hypomania and I relied heavily on my meds to keep under mania - my pdoc was very supportive as he is also a forensic psychiatrist and is in the courtroom himself, regularly. All that said, he and my therapist eventually determined that I was becoming extremely ill, I was kindling, and I needed time off work. Fast forward through hospitalizations, a divorce, etc. Was told I should apply for SSDI as I am permanently disabled. Accepted in two months. That was awhile back. 

I don't recommend the field of law because of the long hours and stress. Your MI could never be disclosed (at least in my local legal community) and there are no "mental health days," etc. The amount of work is staggering.  That doesn't even factor in having a family.  It's just not sustainable, IMO. IME. And I was good at what I did. But I couldn't sustain it. 

Ideal job for me? Something surrounding me with books. Something intellectually stimulating but a calm atmosphere where I can go at my own pace. 

I did well with customer service most of the time. I enjoyed it most of the time, too. But, whatever is wrong with my ability to think at times prevented me from doing well with the technical aspects. 

Right now, I'm a stay-at-home mom. I mostly do well with that, and I enjoy it slightly more than customer service. 

I don't really enjoy working at all.  Working sucks, some jobs suck less.  I have friends that genuinely enjoy their work and feel fulfilled and motivated by it, but that is not me.  That will never be me.  Unless living a pleasant life can possibly be a job.  The closest I might ever get to a job I truly enjoy would be a well paid lifestyle blogger, where I make good enough money to afford modest comforts and occasional travel, financed by writing about the climbing trip I just took, or the muffins I just baked, or the adventures I have with my cat.    

Clearly, I have interests, but none of them are lucrative. I work with troubled kids and I like a lot about it. They’re hilarious and I love it when they have their own accomplishments.  I generally feel like what I do matters.  But given the choice, I’d rather not work at all. My only career goal now is to get into teaching so that I can have vacations built into my schedule.

I am well aware of the problems facing teachers, especially in the U.S., but I currently work in non-profit mental health so it’d be more or less a lateral move into another underpaid job working amidst bureaucratic bullshit with problem children but with the aforementioned vacations. I want to do shit like go backpacking and that just doesn’t happen when I have to save up PTO at a rate of about one day per month.  

Plus, I think I could possibly help more kids as a teacher because I am able to recognize when a "problem" kid is hurting and needs help, rather than seeing them as an annoyance.  That might be the closest to career ambition I have.  

I love my job.

I work in IT, doing application/server/Tier 2 support. I did break/fix for a number of years and finally worked myself out of it. Break/fix is mind-numbing and very end-user focused. I would spend a great deal of time working with people directly. Now, I do most of my work by myself, in my office, with (usually) minimal interaction from other people. I can shut my door when I want, and my co-workers respect that and leave me alone. It's great for days like today where I'm feeling anti-social and want to be left alone. I do enough varied work that I'm not doing the same monotonous task every day.

I work for a gov entity, so my benefits are great and so is job security. This lowers the amount of stress I would otherwise have. When it's EOD, it's time to go, none of this "stay later and finish your work" stuff, unless it's a major project deadline which are far and few between. The pay is less than private sector, but for all the benefits (including stuff that helps my sanity) it's well worth the trade off to me. I have all the time off I need for pdoc/tdoc appointments.

If you are looking for an IT job that is mostly anti-social, look at programming. Plenty of shops will even let you work remotely from home, as long as you can get your work done. Application/infrastructure jobs are great for that too, but they require quite a bit of experience and some formal education. Good job growth in IT too.