Alien Navel Cord

A letter to the Pharmacy

6 posts in this topic

I have had it to about HERE with the pharmacy I go to. I wrote a letter to the CEO of Costco, (Yes I know he won't read it but his 'people' will) and wanted to share with you all. Anyone else here have these problems where you go?

'Dear Mr. Jelinek,

I wish this letter was more of a happy one and less of a disgruntled one, but I have to report something that’s been going on in not one but two of your stores in Salt Lake City UT.

I originally began going to the pharmacy at the Coscto on 300 West two years ago. I would call in my prescriptions and receive an automated notice via phone that they were ready, and then they would not be ready when I came to pick them up. This happened very frequently, so I would call and speak to a person to ensure they were there before arriving.

I recently moved to another part of town and now visit the Murray Costco on Intermountain Drive. Every single time I go to the pharmacy I have problems. Let me tell you about yesterday, for an example.

I called in my prescriptions verbally to a technician in early May because by the end of the week I’d be out of everything. (I have a serious chronic health condition and can not have a gap in medication). I was told that my medications could not be filled until May 18th. I was not told why. I explained my medicines were running out, but they said May 18th was when I could have them filled. It did not make sense. I then contacted my doctor and requested new prescriptions be sent and explained to her what they had told me. I received a phone call on May 9 from Coscto’s automated line saying my prescriptions were ready. So on May 11 I went to pick them up, and after waiting in line for 11 minutes I was told my doctor had not phoned anything in, and there was nothing in the system. I was told to call my doctor. So I did. I spoke with a medical assistant who put me on hold while he called the pharmacy I was standing at. After 5 minutes he came back on the line and said he spoke with a tech who told him they were in the system and ready for pickup, and they’d been approved on May 9th. I thanked him, hung up, and got back in line. 13 minutes later (I timed it) I got up to the counter and was told it was JUST NOW phoned in so they were not ready. I asked to speak with a manager and she told me the manager was on break. So I sat down and waited 25 minutes for my 3 medications to be filled.

This sort of thing happens to me a lot at Coscto pharmacy, and I’m not sure why. I call to confirm with a human that they’re ready, and am told yes, and then get to the counter and am told no there’s nothing there, or no they’re in the system but we haven’t filled them yet please go sit down. Etc.

I am getting really sick and tired of this. I’m about ready to publish my story about the pharmacy problem on social media and my blogs and let everyone know just how rotten the service is. Everyone needs to know that despite the amazing price, sometimes it is just not worth it. If this keeps happening, I am going to bite the bullet and get my prescriptions at Wal Mart.

Please let me know if there is anything that can be done about this problem. I would appreciate hearing back from a member of your team.

Thank you,

Alien Navel Cord (actually I put my real name on the actual letter, ha)

Address & phone # included.

1 person likes this

Wow ... it is totally understandable that you are really pissed off about all of that bad service! 

I go to CVS and have never had these problems.  But I have a friend who goes to Costco (in Waltham, MA) and she has never had problems with her prescriptions.

I think writing a letter to the CEO was a great idea ... and it is a good letter too ... well written.  I hope you get a response really soon.

May I gently suggest, find a small locally owned pharmacy where they can get to know you. I have been with a family owned pharmacy for the past 14 years. I get excellent service, there have been times when they have "fronted" me a couple or so pills until the updated prescription went through, they have several times called my pdoc's office on my behalf, and they have found deep discounts for me when I was uninsured. 

I don't trust the large chains (of course I support small business anyway), I think it really helps to be able to form a relationship. 

Just my two cents. 

2 people like this

I think it comes down to who's in charge and how they operate their business (let's face it, a pharmacy is a business.) I use Walgreens, but only the one near my house. Why? The pharmacy manager is absolutely awesome. He goes above and beyond all the time to be helpful, and expects his staff (pharmacists and techs) to do the same. My meds are always ready ahead of time, and I almost never have a complete delay (even on Rexulti, which is new and expensive -- sometimes it's a partial fill, but always enough to get me through.) The pharmacy manager even found a coupon (through a corporate partnership Walgreens had with Otsuka) for Rexulti and discounted my Rexulti to $15/1st month, $0 after for the calendar year. That saved me thousands of dollars. Another pharmacist there called a PA to verify a rx for an antibiotic for my young daughter, because his dosage calc showed it was out of range and he felt it was unsafe. He didn't have her weight to calculate the ratio, so he wanted verification before filling it. Sure it slows everything (and everybody) down to do that, but it's the right thing to do. The techs will partial-fill a script down to my insurance limits on over-qty scripts, realizing that the prescribing doctor had no idea what my insurance limits are, and I don't want to pay $300 for 8 pills, when 7 would be free.

It starts from the top down.

Well whoever is in charge of both of the pharmacies I went to is awful. That reminds me I need to drop that letter in the mail today.

20 hours ago, dtac said:

I think it comes down to who's in charge and how they operate their business (let's face it, a pharmacy is a business.) I use Walgreens, but only the one near my house. Why? The pharmacy manager is absolutely awesome. He goes above and beyond all the time to be helpful, and expects his staff (pharmacists and techs) to do the same. My meds are always ready ahead of time, and I almost never have a complete delay (even on Rexulti, which is new and expensive -- sometimes it's a partial fill, but always enough to get me through.) The pharmacy manager even found a coupon (through a corporate partnership Walgreens had with Otsuka) for Rexulti and discounted my Rexulti to $15/1st month, $0 after for the calendar year. That saved me thousands of dollars. Another pharmacist there called a PA to verify a rx for an antibiotic for my young daughter, because his dosage calc showed it was out of range and he felt it was unsafe. He didn't have her weight to calculate the ratio, so he wanted verification before filling it. Sure it slows everything (and everybody) down to do that, but it's the right thing to do. The techs will partial-fill a script down to my insurance limits on over-qty scripts, realizing that the prescribing doctor had no idea what my insurance limits are, and I don't want to pay $300 for 8 pills, when 7 would be free.

It starts from the top down.

I agree with what you wrote ... I will go to only one specific CVS because of all the reasons you talked about in above post.