aura

Veganism and mental health

25 posts in this topic

I'm working towards a vegan lifestyle, in part for ethical reasons but even more so to see if it'll help with my mental health. So far it's forcing me to think way more about my food choices, which is a good thing. No more mindless snacking.

Any vegans or vegetarians around? Do you feel your eating lifestyles affect your mental health, positively or negatively?

It usually makes things worse. There are vegan horror stories galore all over the Interwebs. And it can take ten years, give or take, before the ill health effects of a vegan diet are really felt. It really depends on your genetics, microbiome, etc. Some people can do well on a vegan diet, but most will not. A vegetarian diet is much healthier for most, but the ethical issues are problematic. If you look at the treatment of slaughter cows and pigs vs. laying hens and dairy cows, you will quickly come to the conclusion that you are better off eating a pork chop rather than an omelette. So seek out small-scale grass-fed fairy, and  eggs from laying hens that actually spend lots of time outdoors eating grubs and stuff. Eatwild is a great resource. 

For something to live, something else must die. That is the reality. When crops like soybeans, wheat, corn, etc. are planted, sprayed, and harvested, untold thousands of animals die, everything from worms to lost cats and dogs. and birds, snakes, rabbits, deer, and all kinds of other things. The pollution of the monoculture crops destroys sea life, too. So the next time you have a tofu and veggie curry over rice, just remember that is not death-free, not by a long shot. If you want to be vegan, fine, but please don't pretend that your food doesn't come from death. It all does, and that's an incontrovertible fact. And if you think cows, pigs, and chickens are more worthy of preservation than all the other critters, then that's just specist. 

2 people like this

I agree with you completely. I suppose my reasoning had more to do with how my body feels when I eat one way or another. I'm planning more of a "flexitarian" diet (I'll eat whatever if I'm out to eat or at someone else's house, but when I have control of the food I want it to be plant based). I'm not sure I have a great rationale for this except that it makes me feel good about myself.

Uh, I'm a little less... broad thinking that Flash? Idk I went vegetarian initially for moral reasons (saw an incredibly dubious 'documentary' and gave up pretty much straight away). Now I'm just used to it I guess. The texture of meat, or a lot of meat substitutes, are really weird after 6/7 years. Still, couldn't give up my eggs and dairy I'm afraid. As a family we are lucky enough to afford more environmentally conscious stuff, but that isn't the case for everyone.

The only link I've seen between vegetarianism/veganism and mental health is either in restriction or control over food. Not saying either foodstyle equals disordered eating, I've just known people who have eliminated food groups like meat as a way of controlling what they ate. Personally I think I just felt a little more superior afterwards :P but it didn't last long! Individual choices can only do so much. Plus, what with all the massively biased and manipulative 'evidence' on both sides (big food and meat industry vs. radical vegans) I sort of fell out with both. PETA is a classic example. Would rather spend my time signing petitions to save bees or giving (currently limited) money to organisations that work on environmental stuff I do think can help, etc. 

There is so much BS around food and lifestyle that I've adopted a mentality where I'd rather just eat what I want without guilt attached to it. Like 'clean eating'. Food isn't bad, it's just energy and most of the research I've seen from dieticians says eat moderately and with as much variation as possible. I shouldn't feel bad for eating scrambled eggs with enough butter to make Paula Deen happy. My issue with a lot of the vegan 'activism' I've seen (on youtube, instagram) is that a lot of it is shame/happiness. In the sense that they make you feel like shit for enjoying something, then promise happiness in their lifestyle without any consideration of medical needs/financial or practical barriers. Of course, food industries sweep what they do under the rug and say it's entirely in the consumers hands. Like Coke promoting exercise because it's in their interests to advocate for a healthy lifestyle (so we can keep chugging their product). In the end, everyone just thinks they have the solution but who knows? If it genuinely makes you happy without making you feel bad for other dietary choices then why the heck not. Maybe we should share recipes haha

Sorry aura you replied as I was writing this. Such an essay!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, aura said:

I agree with you completely. I suppose my reasoning had more to do with how my body feels when I eat one way or another. I'm planning more of a "flexitarian" diet (I'll eat whatever if I'm out to eat or at someone else's house, but when I have control of the food I want it to be plant based). I'm not sure I have a great rationale for this except that it makes me feel good about myself.

I would listen to your body and see how it responds. I feel better when I eat lots of fruits and veg, and few grains. And I do much, much better with rice than wheat. And my body likes lots of fresh produce too, not just cooked. And pickles and fermented Foods, too. Fried foods don't agree with me much, along with the various "vegetable" oils. Seafood and legumes agree with me and I don't get gas from the latter, for whatever reason. I like poultry and meat, but I think many eat too much. Nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconuts are great non-meat sources of good food. In any case, I think you need to find what makes you feel good and what you can feel good about eating. I don't think there is a universal prescription.

Edited by Flash

Posted (edited)

I've been a vegetarian for many years, way before my mental health issues started, so I very much doubt that being a vegetarian has had much to do with my mental conditions.

Meat was easy to give up, but I just couldn't give up my eggs and dairy products.....So I get those from a local small farm that treats the animals humanely, and lets them roam about and socialize freely with members of their own species.

My son and I actually paid a surprise visit to the farm and they were very glad to give us a tour.

Of course, the dairy and eggs that I buy from this farm are more expensive than what you would get in the grocery store..........But to me it's worth it.......

Edited by CrazyRedhead
2 people like this

I just randomly remembered something- being vegetarian did make depression-eating harder. White bread, carrots and noodles mostly! Don't think it mattered in the long scheme of things, given that depression eating is sort of sad and desperate regardless, but I couldn't focus on things like protein (which requires slightly more effort when you are veggie, as opposed to chicken nuggets or something. No I don't think chicken nuggets are a good source of protein, but also, depression diet)

7 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I've been a vegetarian for many years, way before my mental health issues started, so I very much doubt that being a vegetarian has had much to do with my mental conditions.

Meat was easy to give up, but I just couldn't give up my eggs and dairy products.....So I get those from a local small farm that treats the animals humanely, and lets them roam about and socialize freely with members of their own species.

My son and I actually paid a surprise visit to the farm and they were very glad to give us a tour.

Of course, the dairy and eggs that I buy from this farm are more expensive than what you would get in the grocery store..........But to me it's worth it.......

Yeah, I was vegan and then near-vegan for a number of years, and I still went cuckoo. Getting quality eggs is worth it. You might pay $7 a dozen or so, or even more, but they're still relatively cheap. And they look completely different. The yolks are a vibrant orange, not yellow. I think a lot of people would benefit from touring local farms. Go to your farmers market and ask about their practices, then select one or two to visit. It can be a nice family outing.

And there are many alternatives to traditional CSA shares these days. There are organic delivery services here that source mostly from local farms. The produce bins here run $32-$65, delivered, depending on the size. Another place—similarly priced—allows you to customize your order, so you don't end up buying things that you don't want. And they even have pantry items, meats, and other things that you can add on at both places. They supplement with stuff grown farther south when fewer things are growing here, so there's always diversity. Check out localharvest for places near you.

1 person likes this

Animals r way diff than plants. Their complex emotional living beings that wud fight 4 their life. Vegan is a major answer. Spirituality is the big escape from the torture of the body/mind

Also spirituality is the source of all things, so don't let meds drive yr enrgy. U and yr body/mind shud submit to yr soul and compassion 4 the peaceful animals that r horribly treated and unnecessarily murdered on 'factory farms'. Humans r designed to b raw vegan. Fuk the system and all the bs u have to fight 4 yr tru self, sober and cruelty free is how life is meant to b

And eggs r nasty baby chicken embiotic fluids. Peaceful animals r mor important than shitty carnivores. Yr either another destroyer or a conscious being. Eating animal products is unnatural and causes all kinds of disease, w/ the most important problem being the unnecessary animal suffering and murder. So while veg/vegan is healthier and better in evryway, the point isn't to promote the body/mind cuz our worldly lives r mostly slavery anyway. The real reason is to consciously evolve and move beyond the animal program, so that u can realize mor than this hellish place of toil and suffering and vicious cycles. Jesus talked all about these things and that's how I wuz shown the absolute truth

VeganJesus, those meds often help people manage complex and sometimes life threatening conditions. They aren't 'driving energy', they are helping people to be alive and do stuff? I don't even take psychiatric meds and even I know this. As for 'horrible treatment' and 'murder', you'll notice a lot of people on this thread make a point to say they try to eat ethically as much as possible, like getting free range eggs. Humans are not in fact designed to be raw vegan. Some people can chose to be, but it isn't for everyone. Some folks literally cannot eat raw vegan diets due to medical, dietary or resource restrictions. The system is fairly shit, but just telling everyone to blanket-vegan their diets is not the solution. 

Kind of convinced you're a troll but w/e I've got a stomach bug and nothing else to do. This is a place for mentally ill people, not shame and judgement on lifestyle choices. Using loaded emotional language about food is not appropriate for a website that includes people who have/had eating disorders.

VegJe, I've already had some words with you elsewhere, but I'm gonna say it again: you can leave the preaching at the door, and don't be an ass about your half-cocked nutritional theories. 

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, VeganJesus said:

Humans r designed to b raw vegan. 

Even though I am a vegetarian, I have to disagree with this.....Science has proven that human beings are biologically designed to be omnivores.

http://www.biology-online.org/articles/humans-omnivores.html

18 hours ago, VeganJesus said:

And eggs r nasty baby chicken embiotic fluids. Peaceful animals r mor important than shitty carnivores. 

Hens can lay unfertilized eggs when there is no rooster around:

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/54729/whats-the-difference-between-fertilized-and-unfertilized-eggs/

In fact I have a neighbor who has only hens, and always gets plenty of unfertilized eggs without a rooster.

You state that "peaceful" animals are more important than "shitty carnivores"?....Tell that to my sweet kitty.......All cats are obligate carnivores which means that they must eat meat, or else they would get sick and die.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
1 person likes this

Veganj, if your idiocy is the result of vegan living, then sign me up for daily beef. 

2 people like this

No to all y'all. Raw vegan is 4 evry1. Peaceful animals shudn't b murdered. And if yr all so caring and h8 misery then try having real compassion 4 the animals that suffer unnecessarily any way their caged/owned and slaughtered. There's no excuse 4 being so consciously unevolved.

12 minutes ago, VeganJesus said:

No to all y'all. Raw vegan is 4 evry1. Peaceful animals shudn't b murdered. And if yr all so caring and h8 misery then try having real compassion 4 the animals that suffer unnecessarily any way their caged/owned and slaughtered. There's no excuse 4 being so consciously unevolved.

Hey, I can't tell you how many animals I murdered today. I swatted and/or stepped on flies, mosquitoes, and ants. Also, I ate beef for dinner. Do you like steak so rare that it's dripping in blood?

1 minute ago, jt07 said:

Hey, I can't tell you how many animals I murdered today. I swatted and/or stepped on flies, mosquitoes, and ants. Also, I ate beef for dinner. Do you like steak so rare that it's dripping in blood?

Yr mentally ill and disgusting. I'd prefer if u wer dripping in blood instead of the peaceful animals cuz yr jus another evil destroyer in this shitty world

4 minutes ago, VeganJesus said:

Yr mentally ill and disgusting. I'd prefer if u wer dripping in blood instead of the peaceful animals cuz yr jus another evil destroyer in this shitty world

Embrace the delicious pleasures of meat! Try it before you knock it.

Srsly y'all stop trusting science and the world and find the answers spiritually. Its like the common sense that's grounded in being a compassionate human being. I can prove my points w/ research also but I having a real connection to god and truth is way mor important. There shud b no violence or murder. And u shudn't promote the body anyway cuz the body/mind is slavery, and a trap to kill yr soul

4 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Embrace the delicious pleasures of meat! Try it before you knock it.

I wuz an unconscious zombie meast eater 20+ yrs, trust me I kno how disgusting it is now. U need to go watch vids on 'factory farming' its hell on earth. Its not about pleasure its about not being connected to misery and evil unnecessary suffering and murder.

Posted (edited)

I trust only science. A lot of people don't believe in God so what do you tell them? And since your user name is VeganJesus, you should know that Jesus ate fish. He didn't have a problem with it.

Seriously, embrace the pleasures of eating meat. Try it and you will like it. What are you afraid of?

Edited by jt07

@jt07, you're like a cat playing with a mouse. Kill it already. ;) 

@VeganJesus, you are making veg/ans sound idiotic, which blows for the rest of us who are veg/an and chill. I've literally been vegetarian since I was in my mother's womb (that's a whole 28 years, buddy) and spent about five years as a strict vegan. These diets have in no way affected my mental health. 

As @Gearhead said more delicately than I will, screw off with your preaching. We like science (and the world) here. Also, facts. And as you mentioned, truth. 

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR YOUR SHIT. 

P.S. It's spelled s-h-o-u-l-d. Please keep that in mind when telling people what they should do. 

P.P.S. Moderators' and admins' words are final. Gear already told your ass once. So seriously, really, for serious, stop preaching. 

1 minute ago, heilmania said:

@jt07, you're like a cat playing with a mouse. Kill it already. ;) 

@VeganJesus, you are making veg/ans sound idiotic, which blows for the rest of us who are veg/an and chill. I've literally been vegetarian since I was in my mother's womb (that's a whole 28 years, buddy) and spent about five years as a strict vegan. These diets have in no way affected my mental health. 

As @Gearhead said more delicately than I will, screw off with your preaching. We like science (and the world) here. Also, facts. And as you mentioned, truth. 

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR YOUR SHIT. 

P.S. It's spelled s-h-o-u-l-d. Please keep that in mind when telling people what they should do. 

P.P.S. Moderators' and admins' words are final. Gear already told your ass once. So seriously, really, for serious, stop preaching. 

He's a corpse like u. I'm beyond all u jerks. Yr weak ass science and world bs ain't got nuthn on me. Fuk spelling also, shows how brainwashed u r by the system like a slave. I've been mostly vegan 10yrs 4 the animals and its healthier in every way, so yr probly jus cursed to b godless and lost.

And I don't giv a fuq bout any of u evil h8rs, this site is full of shiz and I'm like the only 1 alive h e r e . also u don't kno the truth, or god, or real life. U kno curse, meds, bs world, and death.

I got the truth, thanks Jesus!

PS. And my life isn't this shitty site, mental illness, or the world. I get to move on past this evil place to experience mor as the beautiful soul I wuz created to b and am growing towards every day

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, VeganJesus said:

Peaceful animals shudn't b murdered.

So  are you saying here that it's okay to kill carnivorous animals, but we shouldn't kill herbivores?

What about omnivores (animals that eat  both meat and vegetables)?....What should we do about them?

Please clarify what you mean by the above statement.....I'm very curious to know.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 5/16/2017 at 0:23 PM, aura said:

I'm working towards a vegan lifestyle, in part for ethical reasons but even more so to see if it'll help with my mental health. So far it's forcing me to think way more about my food choices, which is a good thing. No more mindless snacking.

Any vegans or vegetarians around? Do you feel your eating lifestyles affect your mental health, positively or negatively?

hey there,

i was a vegetarian for over a decade and have tried vegan diets and raw food diets, among other things. personally, none had an impact on my symptoms, though some made me healthier and feel a greater sense of well being, and some actually made me markedly unhealthier...none stopped the voices or intrusive thoughts or social-communication issues, unfortunately.

be careful with supplements. that's my other bit of advice. some of them don't mix well with meds and others don't mix well with certain symptoms.

best of luck with it,

melli xx