tyrantblade

How much pain is too much?

11 posts in this topic

Just wondering how much pain is enough to where you complain, go see a doctor, etc.

Me, I would likely complain or at least show signs of pain at a 7 or high.

To want too see a doctor, probably more like a 9 that keeps hurting for a long time; probably just because I'm stubborn.

3 worst pains of my life, 1. Wisdom teeth, and then the other 2 would be when I sprained my right hand and this big cut in my mouth that's been plaguing me for over a week, but only felt really painful the last two days.

Right now I'm managing it and seeing my Orthodontist tomorrow to get the issue dealt with (sharp end piece of wire).

This is a great question. 

I think it depends on the person ... everyone has a different pain threshold.

45 minutes ago, tyrantblade said:

Right now I'm managing it and seeing my Orthodontist tomorrow to get the issue dealt with (sharp end piece of wire).

That must be very painful!  I'm glad you are seeing your orthodontist tomorrow to get it taken care of.

6 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

This is a great question. 

I think it depends on the person ... everyone has a different pain threshold.

That must be very painful!  I'm glad you are seeing your orthodontist tomorrow to get it taken care of.

Worst sharp piece of end wire to date, I looked in my mouth to see why and it's a long cut, but not particularly deep, doesn't seem infected and not bleeding either.

I'm kind of an idiot, and don't get to the hospital when I should. I have a high pain threshold, and waited 3 days before getting seen before a broken jaw and chin (note: all of my injuries are from falling off horses in some way). The oral surgeon had to clear his schedule for the day. 6 weeks wired shut (back when they still wired it shut, they don't anymore due to choking risk). That was about my most-painful-thing (from start to finish, the surgery was done under local anesthetic, I was awake, no sedation, no pain, it was just so hot in that room, but when the local wore off.. fuck) The day I broke it they should have called an ambulance. I drove home with a broken jaw, chin, concussion, in a 4cyl Mustang on icy, country roads.

When I broke my ribs I had a panic attack and couldn't breathe (knocked the wind out of me) and my coach at the time told me to "get your fucking ass to the ER!" but I had to get myself there on my own and she didn't want another ambulance seen coming to her farm.. So I drove to the ER, (yay icy country roads) there's really nothing they can do but give you painkillers and make sure you didn't hurt more than your ribs (ie: lungs, kidneys)

Then I broke my humerus, shattered my shoulder.. I got back on the horse, finished my lesson, went home, woke up the next day, had no grip in my right hand, but no pain.. went to the ER (in the snow) and they gave me shit.. I thought i may have dislocated my shoulder.. 6 years and a few grand later (and I live in Canada, socialized healthcare) I am pain free.. tore my rotator cuff.. they missed that on the original diagnosis.

Painwise.. Jaw: 9.5, Ribs: 6, Arm: started out a , ended up almost 9. 

Now if I fall off and hit something other than dirt (like a jump or a wall) I get my ass to the ER. I have permanent jaw and shoulder damage.

Like San I don't go to the doctor often enough. I've managed to crack my heel (got hit by a lot of force at work) and I walked on it for a while until I got home... and then I couldn't put weight on it for almost a week. I figured that since there was nothing they could do for it, really, that I could just leave it alone. So I did.

I cracked my shin once, also at work. I limped for four days but it gradually went away. My shin still feels bumpy and strange to run your fingers down. I tore a structure in my hip. That one sent me to the doctor. I'm too scared to get it fixed though. It aches most of the time and affects my ability to walk.

I've dealt with strains and sprains and scratched corneas on my own. I wouldn't recommend screwing with your vision like that.

I'm also a torture survivor. I've been electrocuted, and been badly hurt in other ways. I didn't have the opportunity to go to a doctor. Instead, I ended up crazy.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask if you should go to a doctor, then generally you should go. I find it helpful to have a healthcare advocate who not only goes with me and who is authorized to speak on my behalf, but who can tell me when I should go in the first place.

1 person likes this

I can't make heads or tails of those "On a scale of one to ten" things doctors are always wanting you to use. I have done some remarkably painful things in my life, including breaks, tears, cuts, dislocations and subluxations. And I have a high pain threshold, and I fucking hate the doctor, so I don't go when I should.

When doctors ask how much it hurts, I always find myself trying to explain it in terms of thing I've already done. They listen and nod, and then say "So on a scale of one to ten-" and just to make sure I don't have to add "Hurt my knuckles punching a doctor in the face" to my list, I made up my own scale, so I can refer to it when I'm maybe not thinking straight. I encourage everyone to do the same. Mine goes like this:

1.    I swallowed some half-chewed raw carrot wrong. I need a drink of milk.

2.    Damnit! I just stepped on a Lego, barefoot.

3.    I bent one of my toes back running up the stairs.

4.    I just bit the hell out of a spot on my cheek I’ve been biting all week.

5.    My TMJ is bothering me enough that I can’t ignore it.

6.    That disc in my neck that slips around so that I can feel the process making a lump on the side of my neck has moved again, and I’m having a lot of trouble sleeping or even working/watching T.V. comfortably. It actually feels pretty bad. (This is about the point when I'll make a non-urgent appointment to see someone. It usually ends up being my chiropractor, but this level of pain occasionally means a respiratory infection needing antibiotics, so I have to keep that in mind.)

7.    This is as bad as a week-old broken rib.

8.    This is as bad as having a toenail ripped off when you didn’t even see it coming. (At this point, someone had better be offering me pain meds.)

9.    This hurts like that time in 6th grade when I had my worst patellar subluxation. It really, really hurts.

10.  This is like when I was in judo and I got my elbow and shoulder dislocated at the same time! I need help! It hurts so much! (Now I need surgery.)

3 people like this

17 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

@tyrantblade ... How are you doing?  Did you see the orthodontist?

Yes, the wicked cut in my mouth healed within a week once I got the sharp wore end cut off.

Now my only annoying and painful problem is my messed up foot, I'll tell the Dr when I go to my appointment, maybe they will do something this time because insoles only multiplied the pain.

20 minutes ago, tyrantblade said:

Yes, the wicked cut in my mouth healed within a week once I got the sharp wore end cut off.

Now my only annoying and painful problem is my messed up foot, I'll tell the Dr when I go to my appointment, maybe they will do something this time because insoles only multiplied the pain.

I'm glad that healed ... and that there wasn't any infection.

I hope your foot gets taken care of also!

I, too, get frustrated at trying to explain how much something hurts. I really like @Gearhead's scale. The only thing I would throw in is that sometimes the deciding factor for me is time. How long has something been hurting, not just how bad, you know? Like, the feeling of biting the inside of your cheek where it was already swollen from doing that again... hurts a lot, but not worth seeing a doctor. Because the pain doesn't last, it's momentary. If something hurts that bad and keeps hurting that bad, I would be seeing a doctor more quickly. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

I, too, get frustrated at trying to explain how much something hurts. I really like @Gearhead's scale. The only thing I would throw in is that sometimes the deciding factor for me is time. How long has something been hurting, not just how bad, you know? Like, the feeling of biting the inside of your cheek where it was already swollen from doing that again... hurts a lot, but not worth seeing a doctor. Because the pain doesn't last, it's momentary. If something hurts that bad and keeps hurting that bad, I would be seeing a doctor more quickly. 

I take time into account, too...usually by not going to the doctor soon enough. At least I've learned to go promptly if something is sticking out at a funny angle.