Yuna

been refused by 2 new doctors so far...

15 posts in this topic

Has this ever happened to anybody before? What are the reasons doctors might refuse to treat patients? 

Not a pdoc. Did they refuse to see you, or did they see you then refuse to see you for more appointments?  Did they make referrals?  I was kicked out by a neurologist but never a pdoc. That is discouraging. 

21 minutes ago, Yuna said:

What are the reasons doctors might refuse to treat patients? 

Maybe too many patients in their practice already?  Insurance issues?

Were you told why the pdocs wouldn't work with you?

I'm sorry this happened.  It can be hard to find pdocs.

I have been refused due to missing appointments with the pdoc.

I had a pdoc that refused to see any patients who used benzos and refused to use them in treatment.

My BPD friend had a horrible time finding someone that would accept her. She says it was because her "difficult" diagnosis so she started hiding it. She became very hesitant to divulge any history or mention her hospitalization history.

4 hours ago, dtac said:

I had a pdoc that refused to see any patients who used benzos and refused to use them in treatment.

One doctor refused to see me because 

A)past use of opiates

B)Mother was also patient at clinic (he didn't tell me this but I think it was a factor)

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

My BPD friend had a horrible time finding someone that would accept her. She says it was because her "difficult" diagnosis so she started hiding it. She became very hesitant to divulge any history or mention her hospitalization history.

Yes this was also a factor for me. I am bipolar and OCD (already a hard combination to treat). So even though I stated I don't want treatment for OCD (which I don't) the doctor still assumes I'm a problem. Also with my past history of opiate use I think docs don't want to put up with me. 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Maybe too many patients in their practice already?  Insurance issues?

Were you told why the pdocs wouldn't work with you?

I'm sorry this happened.  It can be hard to find pdocs.

The one doc even said he wouldn't help me because I was too paranoid. I needed a "higher level of care". He said I was really "schzoeffective" not bipolar- which is bullshit I am only bipolar. And because of my opiate useage. I present as trouble. 

edit: I am not even paranoid lol, I told him I don't trust my current doctor, lol he assumes I'm fucking paranoid somehow. How does that work?? 

Edited by Yuna

10 minutes ago, Yuna said:

The one doc even said he wouldn't help me because I was too paranoid. I needed a "higher level of care". He said I was really "schzoeffective" not bipolar- which is bullshit I am only bipolar. And because of my opiate useage. I present as trouble. 

edit: I am not even paranoid lol, I told him I don't trust my current doctor, lol he assumes I'm fucking paranoid somehow. How does that work?? 

That is really messed up. 

What DR do you see for a "higher level of care?"

The pdoc diagnosed you as SZA based on one appt?

The paranoid thing doesn't make sense to me either.

And even if you were paranoid, isn't that the sort of a pdoc is supposed to help treat?

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

That is really messed up. 

What DR do you see for a "higher level of care?"

The pdoc diagnosed you as SZA based on one appt?

The paranoid thing doesn't make sense to me either.

There is this program in my state called the "prose" program (or something) Its a program that includes additional counseling of some type and also it helps find employment- so that is "higher level".. Really though this doctor just didn't want to treat me...

I don't think psychiatry is what it used to be- I think some clinics will not treat certain people of a certain demographic if they think they are going to be difficult patients. They have the right to do technically. 

Its not illegal to refuse treatment is it? 

49 minutes ago, Closure said:

And even if you were paranoid, isn't that the sort of a pdoc is supposed to help treat?

Exactly.

4 minutes ago, Yuna said:

There is this program in my state called the "prose" program (or something) Its a program that includes additional counseling of some type and also it helps find employment- so that is "higher level".. Really though this doctor just didn't want to treat me...

I don't think psychiatry is what it used to be- I think some clinics will not treat certain people of a certain demographic if they think they are going to be difficult patients. They have the right to do technically. 

Its not illegal to refuse treatment is it? 

Some DRs are just like that.  Actually at least they told you upfront that they couldn't see you, instead of dragging you along, wasting time (both of yours), with you getting little support etc.  I mean it really sucks to be told you can't be a patient, but personally I'd rather have a DR be upfront with me so I don't waste my time and his/hers.  It is hurtful either way though.

(bold) I was just googling this, and some things came up but it related more to medical care.  Other articles said that patient load could be a problem.

FWIW, I found this article:

Talks about medical treatment, but to me it seems to somewhat relate in some ways to psychiatric treatment also:

https://www.verywell.com/doctors-reject-difficult-patients-deny-medical-care-2615006

Can private doctors refuse to treat patients?

The short answer is, yes. A private doctor isn’t subject to the provisions of EMTALA, and can dismiss you as a patient at any time (barring discrimination), for just about any reason, without fear of credible legal reprisals. Doctors in private practice are basically small business owners. In a sense, a sign stating “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service” can be applied to doctors, as well as to your local restaurateur.

A doctor can refuse to treat a patient because:

• The doctor’s practice is so busy she is unable to accept new patients.
  • The doctor doesn’t have a working relationship with your health insurance company.
  • The doctor chooses not to treat patients with the illness or injury you suffer from.
  • You can’t pay for the costs of treatment.
  • You or your spouse is a medical malpractice attorney.

Your doctor can refuse to continue treating you because:

• You haven’t paid your bill.
  • The doctor has stopped doing business with your health insurance provider.
  • You continue to exhibit drug seeking behavior.
  • You are a disruptive patient.
  • For reasons of conscience (including religious, contraceptive, or palliative care beliefs, or deciding not to prescribe narcotics for pain management).
  • The doctor learns you or your spouse is a medical malpractice attorney.

There is an exception…

You can’t be discharged if it will result in your medical condition worsening before you find another doctor, or will result in another medical condition.

If your doctor says she has to stop treating you, you must try to find another doctor as soon as reasonably possible. Whether or not your doctor can discharge you as a patient after giving you adequate time to find another doctor, and you refused to do so, is a question for the courts.

If your doctor refuses to continue to provide treatment, and as a direct result your condition worsens, you may have the basis of a medical malpractice claim.

FWIW, anyway. 

I'm not sure if this applies to doctors, but I know that in some states if a therapist refuses to treat you because you have a particular condition or because they have "religious" or "moral" objections to treating a particular population (usually meaning LGBT individuals), they are required to provide a referral to another qualified professional. Of course, that person is not obliged to take you on, they may not be in your insurance network, they may not have appointments open that work for you, etc. 

3 hours ago, getouttamyway.exe said:

Had a Tdoc that wouldn't see me because he knew me and my family.

Sometimes they have to do that.  I mean I think they have the choice, but from what I've read, there are many reasons why it isn't a good idea:

Here are some reasons:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/812106

http://www.mdedge.com/currentpsychiatry/article/63241/psychiatrist/patient-boundaries-when-its-ok-stretch-line

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/why-cant-my-therapist-and-i-be-friends-0705137

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/05/24/5-more-reasons-your-therapist-wont-see-you-now/