CrazyBoards.org

Anyone have positive or negative experiences with acupuncture?  This wouldn't be for replacing medication.  It would be as a supplement.

Yes, I love acupuncture!  When I go in and see him (he's also my neurologist), I usually tell him where the most pain is and go from there.

It helps so much, especially with my lower back and headaches.  He also gets knots out of my shoulders by somehow loosening them up ... eventually doing that 2 or 3 times (one time an appt), I had no knots left.

It also releases tension, lowers anxiety, and I can relax while I am on the table.  He'll leave the needles in me (front side) for about a half hour, then I turn over and he does the back side of me, then after another half hour he takes the needles out and i always feel better.  Have a better outlook on things.

The treatment (how I feel afterwards) usually lasts about 1-2 weeks (I see him on average once/month ... insurance covers I think 20 times a year).  I can feel an obvious difference walking out of his office.

From a personal standpoint I would recommend trying it.

Just keep in mind that YMMV with each acupuncturist because they aren't all alike ... if you don't feel comfortable with one, I would go to another one.  But I have had a great experience from the one I have now.

thanks so much melissa.  that's really helpful . because I didn't know much beyond the generic idea in my head (needles go into body).  So I appreciate a sense o fhow it works and such thing.

This is an old post but I wanted to throw in my experience. When I quit drinking alcohol I had terrible cravings and withdrawal type anxiety that went on forever. I saw a Chinese acupuncture Dr and she was skeptical but did a treatment which helped immensely. Did it really help or was it coincidence or placebo, I don’t really know but at the time it was a godsend. Then I tried it for weight loss with no effect so there you go. Guess I should be happy it worked for what I really needed it for. 

I just noticed this post and thought I'd toss my two cents in, which is I love acupuncture  I have done it for headaches, anxiety, depression, back pain, digestive issues. 

I go to a "community acupuncture" place, which is one where they treat multiple people at a time, so they only use points in your arms, hands, legs, feet, or head so you can stay fully dressed.  Everyone minds their own business, no one looks at the other patients (maybe because they don't want to be looked at themselves).  They have relaxing music and give you a blanket and pillow if you want, then you close your eyes and relax for an hour.  It's the most blissful hour!   I sometimes went when I was experiencing a lot of external stress because it would help me to cope better.  

Not all practitioners are the same, I've noticed I have different experiences with different people, so shop around until you find one that you connect with.  Once you do, it's an incredibly healing experience (in my opinion).  The community acupuncturists have a sliding fee scale of $15-$40 "pay what you can afford" which one reason I love them.  There are a bunch in the metro area I'm in, I think they are all over the U.S..  It's a lot cheaper than a medical doctor, plus medical doctors often dismiss my physical complaints because they figure it's "all in my head."  The acupuncturist doesn't care where it originates, they just want to fix it.  

I'm a huge fan of community acupuncture. Well, acupuncture in general because it seems to help me sleep better, but community acupuncture is a lot more affordable.