CrazyBoards.org

inabook

what does a caseworker do?

Hi! I just got a case worker. It had been recommended for me to apply to get one, so i tried. She is nice, and wanting to help but... I have no idea what to tell her, how to "use" her? I have never had one, and I don't know what I'm supposed to tell her, what kind of help she provides.... (And of course, I feel I am too functioning to have one, so I think she will disappear).

For those of you have have/have had case workers, what do they do? what do you tell them? (I mean, what kind of things)

Thank you

Could you ask what sort of things they do for other clients?  I imagine that's the kind of role that could shift and change. For some people it might be organising emergency housing, or helping you sort out lost prescriptions, help getting to appointments or linking you to finacial or social resources. 

I have had many case managers and I'm pretty sure they do the same job, maybe not though. They are responsible for people receiving public mental health services, and making goals, writing recovery plans with you, independent service plans and coordinating your care so all of your treatment team is on the same page. They can also help with self-advocacy and daily living issues. 

What you tell them really depends on the typical things like trust and rapport. In my experience they will usually speak with your other professionals, but I was a minor when I could still access one so it could be different for adults. 

Its best to have a conversation about their role with them, because it depends on both you and them. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

Yes to all of the above. My daughter is a caseworker, some clients are higher functioning than others, but that doesn't mean help isn't needed. She also helps with sorting through insurance (US - can be big headache), I believe with tax returns (she doesn't actually prepare them, more like assistance). 

I would definitely have an open conversation with her to see what she can offer, that's what she's being paid to do. 

2 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

I would definitely have an open conversation with her to see what she can offer, that's what she's being paid to do. 

I agree. 

They can also advocate for you. For example, I'm entirely 100% unable to use my words to ask for help (it's like my throat closes and I can't talk) so they can be with you if you need to go to a meeting or something like that where you would need to represent yourself but don't feel up to it. Having someone be with you through that process can be really helpful.

However, I don't know that all of them leave their offices, so you would have to ask if that's something that they could do.