mikl_pls

Suicidal every day, what combo can stop this?

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I believe I am ultradian cycling or something... I feel good in one part of the day and the other half I am so miserably and suicidally depressed I am borderline psychotic.

I don't have the motivation to try to get through to my pdoc's office to get a work-in appointment, but that looks like what I'm going to have to do.

I asked her about clozapine and lithium and she said no to both, and that lithium can actually induce suicidality in people.

I'm desperate. I've been through just about every medication (see signature). Does anyone know of a bullet proof combo that both treats suicidality and prevents it from reoccurring again? 

My support group is here for me, but I'm scared of worrying them too much or causing them unnecessary pain. I'd just like to be normal.

Edited by mikl_pls

I don't know if it would work for you, but Tegretol took away my suicidal ideation. Just shut it off like a faucet.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I don't know if it would work for you, but Tegretol took away my suicidal ideation. Just shut it off like a faucet.

I've tried a low dose of Tegretol (200 mg at bedtime) and kinda liked it. I'd have to give up one of my other anticonvulsants though since I'm already on 3 concomitantly.

The only side effect that bothered me was hearing everything down a half-step. I didn't notice that much of an antidepressant effect at the time, but then again, (a) I wasn't suicidal, and (b) it was a tiny dose.

I may bring it up with my pdoc whenever I see her.

Something has to change. Some of it's situational, but most of it is definitely feels biochemical in etiology.

If I drop to 200 mg of Tegretol, my suicidal ideation will come back. I need at least 400 mg to eliminate suicidal ideation. My dose was set by a blood test to make sure that I was in the therapeutic range. However, the therapeutic range for psychiatric reasons is less than for seizures. 

I haven't noticed any hearing anomalies with Tegretol so I guess that is individual to the patient. I will say that Tegretol is not really an antidepressant for me. What it does do is to keep me from falling into suicidal depressions and shuts off the suicidal thoughts. I credit Tegretol with literally saving my life.

I thought lithium had proven anti-suicide qualities? Or am I thinking of something else.

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, aura said:

I thought lithium had proven anti-suicide qualities? Or am I thinking of something else.

I also thought this was the generally accepted lore. I've never heard that lithium can cause suicidality in people.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, aura said:

13 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I also thought this was the generally accepted lore. I've never heard that lithium can cause suicidality in people.

Neither had I until my pdoc said that when I asked about it for prevention of suicide.

1 person likes this

I'm on my phone, so I'm not seeing your signature, but I'm my experience, Remeron has pulled me out of the shit. 

Clozapine has worked really well for my suicidal thoughts. Its kept my psychosis at a more tolerable level. I still suffer from anxiety.

1 person likes this

Just wanted to put my two cents in:

my pdoc has me on Lithium for anti-suicidality.  He was adamant that it's useful as an antisuicidal agent. I'm unipolar, but have been suicidal (thoughts multiple times a day) for about 4 months. Unfortunately, the Lithium is not working for, but when I asked my pdoc to take it away, he was adamant yet again about it's antisuicidal properties.  I've heard of some other docs that refuse to prescribe it because it is not FDA approved as an antisuicidal agent. Maybe you can tell you're pdoc that it's a progressive approach and to try it for a limited time to see if it works for you?

Viibryd 60mg is my AD. Abilify, Lithium 600 is on board in the morning, Seroquel, Neurontin and Lithium 600 at night and Pamelor 50mg. I think my pdoc was just throwing anything and everything he could think of at the depression to try to get my brain to calm down. It's not working, but we keep tweaking and changing.

I'm sorry Mikl, I wish I had better news for you. But I absolutely know what you're going thru. If you find a good combo that takes away the SI, please let me know.

PS - I've seen others on the forum suggest that Clozaril is good for SI. My pdoc didn't want to prescribe it before we tried Abilify first, then Rexuti. 

I thought lithium had anti suicidal properties for people? I've also never heard of it causing that side effect in people. But I'm no Dr. If you are keen on trying lithium out, could you show some studies to your Dr about lithium's anti suicidal properties? I suck at finding such things or else I'd post a bunch to you here. Sorry about that. I hope you get some relief soon. 

I found in the past that lithium was helpful when I was suicidal till I wan't able to take it anymore. Ultimately after several years of treatment resistant depression I tried ECTs which pulled me out of it. I don't know if that is an option for you. My doctor said ECT was especially helpful for bipolar depression in his experience. I had tried unipolar ECT (one side of the brain) which did nothing, then I went to a large university hospital where I get my care now and did bipolar (both sides of brain) ECT and it was very successful. I am now in remission and haven't had any bipolar symptoms since I stopped the ECTs over a year ago. 

On 7/1/2017 at 1:21 PM, heilmania said:

I'm on my phone, so I'm not seeing your signature, but I'm my experience, Remeron has pulled me out of the shit. 

Remeron didn't really work for me.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:38 PM, Butterflykisses said:

Clozapine has worked really well for my suicidal thoughts. Its kept my psychosis at a more tolerable level. I still suffer from anxiety.

I asked about clozapine to my pdoc, but she said no. I feel like it might need it though.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:44 PM, FlightyGoatGirl said:

Just wanted to put my two cents in:

my pdoc has me on Lithium for anti-suicidality.  He was adamant that it's useful as an antisuicidal agent. I'm unipolar, but have been suicidal (thoughts multiple times a day) for about 4 months. Unfortunately, the Lithium is not working for, but when I asked my pdoc to take it away, he was adamant yet again about it's antisuicidal properties.  I've heard of some other docs that refuse to prescribe it because it is not FDA approved as an antisuicidal agent. Maybe you can tell you're pdoc that it's a progressive approach and to try it for a limited time to see if it works for you?

Viibryd 60mg is my AD. Abilify, Lithium 600 is on board in the morning, Seroquel, Neurontin and Lithium 600 at night and Pamelor 50mg. I think my pdoc was just throwing anything and everything he could think of at the depression to try to get my brain to calm down. It's not working, but we keep tweaking and changing.

I'm sorry Mikl, I wish I had better news for you. But I absolutely know what you're going thru. If you find a good combo that takes away the SI, please let me know.

See, I have always heard of the anti-suicidal properties of lithium, but my pdoc claims that it can increase suicidality in the same manner that antidepressants do.

Perhaps I could ask to just try it and see how it goes?

That's a lot of Viibryd! I tried 40 mg and it didn't seem like it was enough. She said some people need 80 mg. But I don't see her office getting the PA cleared for getting that amount on a prescription.

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:48 PM, FlightyGoatGirl said:

PS - I've seen others on the forum suggest that Clozaril is good for SI. My pdoc didn't want to prescribe it before we tried Abilify first, then Rexuti. 

I've been through both of those. Bad results with both, but good results with Abilify at first. Now when I take Abilify, it turns me into an asshole lol.

3 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I thought lithium had anti suicidal properties for people? I've also never heard of it causing that side effect in people. But I'm no Dr. If you are keen on trying lithium out, could you show some studies to your Dr about lithium's anti suicidal properties? I suck at finding such things or else I'd post a bunch to you here. Sorry about that. I hope you get some relief soon. 

I think I will try and find some studies, either that or just beg... lol.

1 hour ago, wadjet said:

I found in the past that lithium was helpful when I was suicidal till I wan't able to take it anymore. Ultimately after several years of treatment resistant depression I tried ECTs which pulled me out of it. I don't know if that is an option for you. My doctor said ECT was especially helpful for bipolar depression in his experience. I had tried unipolar ECT (one side of the brain) which did nothing, then I went to a large university hospital where I get my care now and did bipolar (both sides of brain) ECT and it was very successful. I am now in remission and haven't had any bipolar symptoms since I stopped the ECTs over a year ago. 

I was getting set up for ECT this past winter, but something happened and it never went through. My pdoc was communicating with another pdoc who was going to do it. She wanted the same pdoc to do all the sessions. She said she could do it herself, but that she wouldn't be able to do all the sessions, and she didn't want to hand my brain off to another pdoc. I would be very open to ECT if I could just get my pdoc to get it set up. Maybe if I just say "my options as far as I see it are, (1) clozapine, (2) lithium, and/or (3) ECT," it will probably get her more motivated to get things going.

Thanks everyone for your input!

For me it was actually clozaril+lithium, but I've never heard of lith actually making the issue worse

I agree with many of the posters here saying lithium may be a good choice for suicide ideation. I was not suicidal but it definitely helped my mod within the first week. I have even done research and remember one reading pointing out that in counties or places where the lithium levels in the water supply were higher had a lower rate of suicide. Definitely consider lithium. 

Someone also mentioned Rexulti at some point. I began that on 2mg doses and it affected me affective stability, sleep, anxious/depressive feelings, and it feel it gave me a boost to my motivation/life. Since I did start at 2mg I did suffer from akathisia and stop taking it for 3-4 days, then resumed at 0.5mg for 1 week, 1mg the next week, and now I am on 1.5 mg finally. I think going on that high of a dose, and I was even given samples of 3mg to take while my insurance authorized to pay for it, is what caused the restlessness and akathisia. When I stopped, it went away. I haven't experienced any of the akathisia since I slowly tapered up my Rexulti. Now it is not a problem at all. Was akathisia the main reason for stopping the Rexulti or were additional side effects?

Could you possibly switch out the Prozac with a different antidepressant and keep Geodon as the adjunctive med. Or switching out the Geodon with a different atypical you may have had good experiences with. It definitely takes time to get the meds figured out, but for the short term and what you are currently dealing with I would suggest lithium carbonate 

5 hours ago, mmaryland said:

I have even done research and remember one reading pointing out that in counties or places where the lithium levels in the water supply were higher had a lower rate of suicide. Definitely consider lithium.

I remember reading this somewhere too.

Someone also mentioned Rexulti at some point. I began that on 2mg doses and it affected me affective stability, sleep, anxious/depressive feelings, and it feel it gave me a boost to my motivation/life. Since I did start at 2mg I did suffer from akathisia and stop taking it for 3-4 days, then resumed at 0.5mg for 1 week, 1mg the next week, and now I am on 1.5 mg finally. I think going on that high of a dose, and I was even given samples of 3mg to take while my insurance authorized to pay for it, is what caused the restlessness and akathisia. When I stopped, it went away. I haven't experienced any of the akathisia since I slowly tapered up my Rexulti. Now it is not a problem at all. Was akathisia the main reason for stopping the Rexulti or were additional side effects?

Unfortunately, I have to go "fail" a generic atypical first before I can go to the brand-name atypicals (step therapy). The reason I quit Rexulti was because it was making my depression worse, making me flat, tired, and made me gain a bunch of weight (20 lb/4 weeks).

Could you possibly switch out the Prozac with a different antidepressant and keep Geodon as the adjunctive med. Or switching out the Geodon with a different atypical you may have had good experiences with. It definitely takes time to get the meds figured out, but for the short term and what you are currently dealing with I would suggest lithium carbonate

Prozac is actually one of the antidepressants I never gave much of a chance or took at a very high dose. It seems to be helping, but I wonder if it's making me ultra-ultra rapid cycling though. I've been through almost every antidepressant out there with either no effect or negative effects or mixed positive and negative effects. Cymbalta worked for a while, but quit working after half a year, and my pdoc didn't want to push the dose up to 90 mg or 120 mg until I put myself on 90 mg. Then when I wanted on Emsam, she finally offered 120 mg but I was set on getting Emsam. She eventually let me have 120 mg later on, but said not to take 120 mg, just to take 80 mg. When I came back and said I had been on 120 mg because the 80 mg didn't work, she bumped it down to 80 mg and I crashed. That was when I was on desipramine too. The combination of desipramine and Prozac was extremely effective while I was on it (she took me off of Prozac and put me on Cymbalta). That's effectively what I'm trying to accomplish with Prozac + Strattera. If I don't get a good response from the Strattera, I may end up switching to desipramine.

The Geodon was like candy to me. I've taken it at 40 mg BID before and not had it really do much. To my understanding, most people need 60-80 mg BID. I wasn't planning on being on Geodon long. As a matter of fact, I've switched back to Latuda already (80 mg, I should probably put that in my signature). It seems to somewhat quell the "sundowning" effect of my mood somewhat most of the time, but not every time. 40 mg does nothing, 60 mg does a little better, 80 mg does the best so far, albeit with a little akathisia at first. I wonder if I need 120 mg? My pdoc gave me 2 free 14 day sample vouchers for Latuda which are each refillable once, one for 60 mg and one for 80 mg. So at least when I run out of my stash of 80 mg Latuda, I can get a free 28 day supply until I see her again.

But I will definitely be asking about lithium. As much as I hate to go on it, it looks like I don't have much else of a choice.

Thanks for your input!

1 person likes this

I've heard that lith can help suicidal ideation at very low doses...it Is something my pdoc does as an adjunct for depression, giving a very low dose which can help with suicidal thoughts...like starting at 300 mgs. If you try that and go up slow you may hit the sweet spot before any nasty side effects 

1 person likes this

Lithium drastically reduced my suicidal thoughts, enough that therapy like Acceptance and Commitment Therapy could work. I've never heard of it increase the risk of suicide. 

4 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I've heard that lith can help suicidal ideation at very low doses...it Is something my pdoc does as an adjunct for depression, giving a very low dose which can help with suicidal thoughts...like starting at 300 mgs. If you try that and go up slow you may hit the sweet spot before any nasty side effects 

4 hours ago, bluelikejazz said:

Lithium drastically reduced my suicidal thoughts, enough that therapy like Acceptance and Commitment Therapy could work. I've never heard of it increase the risk of suicide. 

I may pester my pdoc for at least a tiny small dose of lithium until she gives in... lol.

Thanks so much for your responses everybody. It really means the world to me.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I remember reading this somewhere too.

Unfortunately, I have to go "fail" a generic atypical first before I can go to the brand-name atypicals (step therapy). The reason I quit Rexulti was because it was making my depression worse, making me flat, tired, and made me gain a bunch of weight (20 lb/4 weeks).

Prozac is actually one of the antidepressants I never gave much of a chance or took at a very high dose. It seems to be helping, but I wonder if it's making me ultra-ultra rapid cycling though. I've been through almost every antidepressant out there with either no effect or negative effects or mixed positive and negative effects. Cymbalta worked for a while, but quit working after half a year, and my pdoc didn't want to push the dose up to 90 mg or 120 mg until I put myself on 90 mg. Then when I wanted on Emsam, she finally offered 120 mg but I was set on getting Emsam. She eventually let me have 120 mg later on, but said not to take 120 mg, just to take 80 mg. When I came back and said I had been on 120 mg because the 80 mg didn't work, she bumped it down to 80 mg and I crashed. That was when I was on desipramine too. The combination of desipramine and Prozac was extremely effective while I was on it (she took me off of Prozac and put me on Cymbalta). That's effectively what I'm trying to accomplish with Prozac + Strattera. If I don't get a good response from the Strattera, I may end up switching to desipramine.

The Geodon was like candy to me. I've taken it at 40 mg BID before and not had it really do much. To my understanding, most people need 60-80 mg BID. I wasn't planning on being on Geodon long. As a matter of fact, I've switched back to Latuda already (80 mg, I should probably put that in my signature). It seems to somewhat quell the "sundowning" effect of my mood somewhat most of the time, but not every time. 40 mg does nothing, 60 mg does a little better, 80 mg does the best so far, albeit with a little akathisia at first. I wonder if I need 120 mg? My pdoc gave me 2 free 14 day sample vouchers for Latuda which are each refillable once, one for 60 mg and one for 80 mg. So at least when I run out of my stash of 80 mg Latuda, I can get a free 28 day supply until I see her again.

But I will definitely be asking about lithium. As much as I hate to go on it, it looks like I don't have much else of a choice.

Thanks for your input!

Mikl, please let me know how it goes for you with the Lithium. I'm on 1200mg now,  and unfortunately not working. Hope it works for you!

I'm on so much shit right now, I'll be asking/begging my pdoc to do an overhaul.  All the meds I'm on and still have multiple suicidal ideation daily. 

I did want to mention though, perhaps you can ask to have a for hormone panel done? It seems as thoug something biological could be triggering you?

Just now, FlightyGoatGirl said:

Mikl, please let me know how it goes for you with the Lithium. I'm on 1200mg now,  and unfortunately not working. Hope it works for you!

I'm on so much shit right now, I'll be asking/begging my pdoc to do an overhaul.  All the meds I'm on and still have multiple suicidal ideation daily. 

I did want to mention though, perhaps you can ask to have a for hormone panel done? It seems as thoug something biological could be triggering you?

Will do, if I can convince my pdoc to let me try lithium.

I'm terribly sorry you're having suicidal thoughts.

I haven't had a hormone panel in quite a while, perhaps it may be worth asking my gdoc for one and maybe show my pdoc. I don't know if it's something biological triggering me or not. At one point I did have low testosterone, but I didn't respond to HRT at all (AndroGel). Then again, I only did it for a few months and never had my testosterone checked again. Maybe they're low again? Maybe something else is out of whack? That's a good suggestion! Thanks for making it!

As for your combo, if you don't mind, what all are you taking? Perhaps we could help you with your cocktail.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Unfortunately, I have to go "fail" a generic atypical first before I can go to the brand-name atypicals (step therapy). The reason I quit Rexulti was because it was making my depression worse, making me flat, tired, and made me gain a bunch of weight (20 lb/4 weeks)

Rexulti did the same to me in terms of weight! I was in shock of how fast I put on 10 pounds, but then again I really do not mind weight gain. It just seems like it's not healthy for your body to gain 10 or 20 pounds over 2-3 weeks when you haven't changed your diet at all. And yes step-therapy is aggravating, but I can understand because I take 1.5mg of Rexulti a day so each month I have to get a script filled for #30 0.5mg and #30 1mg. My insurance company pays around $1,093 for EACH script per month. Thats over 2k a month, so insurance companies see it as "well hey this Abilify here is almost the same so you have to try this before we pay for X newer and better drug." How did you titrate up your dosages and how long did you stay on it for? It's too bad it didn't work well for you, I really thought this medication was going to be the next successful drug for patients. Would you consider giving Rexulti a 2nd try?

Prozac is actually one of the antidepressants I never gave much of a chance or took at a very high dose. It seems to be helping, but I wonder if it's making me ultra-ultra rapid cycling though. I've been through almost every antidepressant out there with either no effect or negative effects or mixed positive and negative effects. 

I actually used Prozac to help me get off Paxil, and I experienced the stimulation from Prozac people talk about, but wasn't on it for long as my goal was to get off SSRIs, so I can't speak much of it personally. I know generally it is indicated for MDD, OCD, Bulumia Nervosa, Panic Disorder, and Treatment resistant depression. However I just thought of this, Prozac is also indicated for Bipolar Depression when combined with Zyprexa. It's called Symbyax, and honestly I know 2 people on it who were very poorly functioning patients before and after Symbyax I saw the improvement in them. My grandma with MDD, Bipolar, GAD, and insomnia takes Symbyax and it keeps her from getting into deep depressive states of loneliness, and staying in her room all day. Taking the combination of Prozac and Zyprexa may help with the ultra-rapid cycling. But SSRIs are known to cause mania in bipolar patients. I experienced mania from Paxil and almost got kicked out of university and into lots of debt because of it. I know you are struggling with depression and it may be scary to imagine going on without one, and I thought the same thing. Straterra could be causing mania as well. Or possibly the combination of the Prozac, Straterra, and Lamictal might not be the right combination for you. Adderall can also initiate mania, just a thought.

Have you tried Invega? Maybe Geodon or Latuda just isn't cutting it. You coud try Fanapt or Risperdal? If Haldol worked good in the past, why not try it out again?  Akathisia is going to be a possibility with many antipsychotics, but try to stick it out a bit and see if it subsides. Also, very concerning that your doc won't consider Clozapine OR Lithium. I would heavily think about getting a new doctor. Do you find yourself more manic or depressive? This might help determine what medication(s) might work for you. One study suggests that antieleptics might cause suicide ideation, and I believe Lamictal/lamotrigine is an antieleptic (Bell GS, Mula M, Sander JW. Suicidality in people taking antiepileptic drugs: What is the evidence? CNS Drugs. 2009;23(4):281–292).

Show your psychiatrist these couple of sources, if they are unwilling after you show them research proving efficacy of clozapine and lithium for suicide ideation then it's really time to start searching for a new doctor.

"There is a large body of evidence from meta-analyses and observational studies that lithium reduces the risk for suicide death and suicide attempt" (Tondo L, Baldessarini RJ. Long-term lithium treatment in the prevention of suicidal behavior in bipolar disorder patients. Epidemiol Psychiatr Soc. 2009;18(3):179–183.)

"Clozapine an antipsychotic agent has also been shown to have a protective effect on suicide death... A large randomized clinical trial designed specifically to assess suicide outcomes using olanzapine as a comparator found a 25% reduction in risk for suicide attempt in the clozapine group" (Mann JJ, Currier D. Medication in Suicide Prevention Insights from Neurobiology of Suicidal Behavior. In: Dwivedi Y, editor. The Neurobiological Basis of Suicide. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press/Taylor & Francis; 2012. Chapter 21. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK107195/ )

Please keep us up to date on how're your doing, immediately call your psychiatrist for medical advice, and NEVER hesitate to drive/call a taxi/ or ask a friend or family member to admit you to the hospital if you're suicide ideation worsens

Edited by mmaryland
Formatting

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

Will do, if I can convince my pdoc to let me try lithium.

I'm terribly sorry you're having suicidal thoughts.

I haven't had a hormone panel in quite a while, perhaps it may be worth asking my gdoc for one and maybe show my pdoc. I don't know if it's something biological triggering me or not. At one point I did have low testosterone, but I didn't respond to HRT at all (AndroGel). Then again, I only did it for a few months and never had my testosterone checked again. Maybe they're low again? Maybe something else is out of whack? That's a good suggestion! Thanks for making it!

As for your combo, if you don't mind, what all are you taking? Perhaps we could help you with your cocktail.

Hi Mikl. Thanks for the offer to help! Lord knows, I need it. My current list:

Viibryd 60 mg

Lithium 1200mg (600mg BID)

Pamelor 50mg (QHS)

Abilify 10mg  (QD AM)

Seroquel 100mg (QHS)

Lorezapam (PRN)

If you or anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Except for Prozac. It was while I was on Prozac that the SI started, so I won't be going back to it for awhile. 

Thanks again for offering help. I think I'm stuck in my own little box and can't see the outside right now to have info ready for my pdoc appt on Thursday. 

Ps  - I should mention that I have an anxious depression, but I'm sure you can tell by the lorazepam PRN