theforest

Good template for trauma narrative?

9 posts in this topic

I'm sorry I can't remember whose post I read that talked about doing a trauma narrative so I can't thank you for your helpful idea.... but I'd like to try doing a trauma narrative. Most of the templates I found online were for children. 

Can anyone recommend a good one for an adult who has never done one before?

I don't know of any templates for anyone that isn't a child. That's because there are just so many different ways that people can be traumatized. You could use a child's one to start, or you could create your own by using one for a younger person as a springboard.

I just made my own since nothing would apply to what I've gone through.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I think I can adapt some of my journaling work to suit this project. 

Could you elaborate on what a template for trauma is all about?

Purple

Hi @PurplePaisley, I really don't know what it would be like. I hear about people doing trauma narratives to work through past experiences? So I am hoping for some guidance? 

I think that everyone sort of has to come up with their own for it to work. I think that it's a part of the process. It made me feel very lost, too. I wish that I had more guidance on this.

Echoing on. Your trauma narrative has to be individual to you and the events that happened to you. Most therapists ask you to write facts first, and explore thoughts and feelings later after you have essentially made sense of it all. 

Its basically a type of exposure therapy, because trauma can cause you to avoid things like facts and anything that reminds you of them. It is done to eventually reduce the avoidance via helping you make sense of it in a logical way. 

Posted (edited)

I drew a timeline with years/ages and then put dots on the places where the traumas occurred and wrote down what happened basically, like the type of trauma and a sentence about what it was.

If I wanted to do a bigger/more complete one I would get a huge piece of paper and use more colours.  But the one I did is kind of bare bones.

Edited by tryp

I just opened a word document, wrote each year of life on a new line and then went back to add what happened when. I didn't need any templates or anything. Later on I drew picture with crayons. 

It doesn't need to have a specific template. For me it was important for it to be linear but if somebody doesn't have any sense of when events happened (e.g were very young or dissociated) maybe a mind-map could work too.