Retzy

New Meds

4 posts in this topic

So I just found this forum...new here.

Its just very reassuring to know there are others out there like me.

I've been suffering from MDD and Social Anxiety Disorder for as far as I can remember. It's MF miserable shit to live with.

Saw my "Dr." today and she changed my meds to Propranolol (20mg, 3 times a day) -Working toward getting off of Klonopin (bitch of a drug!)

Still taking Effexor XR and Gabapentin - feel they're working for me...

But I'm nervous about how Propranolol will or will not work for me. I work with clients one-on-one ever day.

Very scared!

Please, anyone who can empathize, reply......

-Pete

1 person likes this

I took propranolol as a PRN/as needed med for a while when I was in college. It helped with acute panic attacks, settling nerves, physical symptoms mostly. But there's such a feedback loop that it helped with some of the anxiety too.

I hope you find it helps you too.

Welcome!

1 person likes this

I remember taking this med about 35 years ago. I was having heart issues, but after googling it just now, I don't know why I was on it. I know it lowers your blood pressure, I already have hypotension, so it dropped mine to low and went off of it. I don't recall it having any weird side effects, but as I said, its been a long time since I've taken it.

Good luck ;)

p s

I also remember a couple nurses taking one before they had to sit for their boards to calm them

1 person likes this

I've taken propranolol for essential tremor and wound up needing higher doses of it (up to 160 mg/day?) and it wasn't that effective for me.

Later on I tried nadolol and it was almost too effective for me! (hypotension, bradycardia) But I did notice a substantial decrease in my anxiety and tremor.

I'm now on acebutolol because nadolol didn't allow my heart to make compensatory changes in heart rate and blood pressure when exercising to the point where I would get light headed. It's not nearly as effective, but I'll take it.

Give the propranolol a chance.

If it doesn't work, I've heard of Topamax being used for anxiety before.

1 person likes this