Dusk

Which antipsychotics calmed you

13 posts in this topic

... And which caused more anxiety? This is for schizoaffective with lots of  anxiety. Worrying excessively about things 24/7. Anyway I have a feeling my pdoc will change AAP tomorrow and wanted to know others' experiences.

Posted (edited)

I've only tried a couple, but seroquel got the job done.

Although when I first start taking it after not taking it for some time, there's a bit of anxiety, but that could just be me.  I get that medication anxiety sometimes if you get me.

Seroquel/Ativan combination always calms me down.

Edited by BrianOCD

Calm- sometimes zyprexa 

REALLY calm- Thorazine PRN 

Seroquel calms me down. The med that really worked was depakote although not an AP.

Of all the AP's that I've tried, Perphenazine was the one that calmed me the most. It took away almost all of my anxiety, but I couldn't continue taking it due to akathisia.

Haldol acutely and Stelazine when taken regularly. Neither are atypicals, though. Stelazine is my all-time favorite AP.

I regularly take Seroquel xr which keeps me calm for most of time however when I do become manic haloperidal is added and calms me right down

Yeah, haloperidol is pretty much like a sledgehammer for me... lol I use it very seldom. Just 1-2 mg, sometimes even 0.25-0.5 mg is all I need. On very few occasions have I ever needed up to 5 mg. Sometimes I pair haloperidol up with a benzo like oxazepam to potentiate its effects, and I almost always take it with an anticholinergic like benztropine (0.5-2 mg) to avoid having an acute dystonic reaction (had that from chlorpromazine and it was NOT fun!).

On 7/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, Dusk said:

... And which caused more anxiety? This is for schizoaffective with lots of  anxiety. Worrying excessively about things 24/7. Anyway I have a feeling my pdoc will change AAP tomorrow and wanted to know others' experiences.

I also have SZA with lots and lots of anxiety. I worry 24/7 too.

Calming AP's - zyprexa and zyprexa zydis, Seroquel IR and XR, Haldol, saphris, invega (with Seroquel on board too though, so maybe it is the Seroquel itself).

I don't think any AP specifically caused me anxiety. I have separate anxiety disorders. Benzos also work well, klonopin especially for my anxiety. I am housebound without it. Things aren't great now, but without a low dose of it, I can't leave the house hardly. 

Thanks. He ended up adding low dose Seroquel twice a day. 

Seroquel and Zyprexa calm my mania and anxiety... from all the other meds I've tried, nothing else quite hits it for me. 

Risperidone worked for me. I got rid of the feelings of guilt, looping thoughts and severe depression - although it couldn't keep up with it before the side affects kicked in.

This is specific to the person, one mans poison is another's milk and honey. So there is little to be gained from polling others and using their experiences to guide your treatment.