linus2000

From Amitriptyline to other TCA or SSRI

23 posts in this topic

Hello to all,
I started taking this drug(25mg) for three months now, but it does not work well.

I have read that the withdrawal of amitryptiline is very difficult.

Did someone made the switch to another TCA or SSRI without too much trouble?

thank you.

Posted (edited)

I switched directly from nortriptyline 50 mg/day to protriptyline 30 mg/day without any problems, plus I was on an MAOI at the time.

I have also taken nortriptyline alongside an SNRI (nortriptyline + venlafaxine).

Edited by mikl_pls

I switched from amitriptyline to another tricyclic years ago, and also to an SSRI the last time I was on it. I did not have any problems and didn't notice any withdrawal,.

If I might make an observation, 25 mg of amitriptyline is a baby dose. It's not surprising that it did little to help. When I was on it for depression, I was taking 100-150 mg.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, jt07 said:

If I might make an observation, 25 mg of amitriptyline is a baby dose. It's not surprising that it did little to help. When I was on it for depression, I was taking 100-150 mg.

Hi,

I also take 40mg of citalopram that after many years no longer work, amytriptyline is an augmentation.

I took amitriptyline for 3 months at 10mg per day, 4 days ago has risen to 25mg per day, if within a week I will not be better then the doctor will switch amitriptyline to 25mg of Clomipramine.

I am very,very scared now.

Edited by linus2000

Can the augmentation with amitriptyline or Clomipramine do the tricks?

Posted (edited)

For now, amitriptyline has only increased my anxiety.
No one answers?

Edited by linus2000

I personally never had any luck with augmentation with a TCA. When I was taking Paxil, it was augmented with amitriptyline and didn't do much for me. However, some people must have success with it for this treatment scheme to exist.

Posted (edited)

On 7/13/2017 at 2:27 PM, linus2000 said:

I also take 40mg of citalopram that after many years no longer work, amytriptyline is an augmentation.

I took amitriptyline for 3 months at 10mg per day, 4 days ago has risen to 25mg per day, if within a week I will not be better then the doctor will switch amitriptyline to 25mg of Clomipramine.

If you've been taking the citalopram for years, and it doesn't work for you any longer, would it be possible to ask your doctor if you could try a different SSRI ?......

Personally, I don't think you'll have a very difficult time stopping the 25mg amitriptyline.......It's a very small dose, and you've only been on it for a short time.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If you've been taking the citalopram for years, and it doesn't work for you any longer, would it be possible to ask your doctor if you could try a different SSRI ?......

Personally, I don't think you'll have a very difficult time stopping the 25mg amitriptyline.......It's a very small dose, and you've only been on it for a short time.

is difficult to switch from one SSRI to another?

2 hours ago, linus2000 said:

Speaking for myself, I never had any problem switching directly from one SSRI to another, that is, I'd stop one SSRI one day and start the other SSRI the next day. I only had problems if I tapered down on one before starting another.

21 hours ago, linus2000 said:

Personally, I have done it a couple of times with no problems at all.

Even if you've been taking for many years? I've been taking citaloparm for many years (12) and changing it scares me a lot

1 hour ago, linus2000 said:

I've been taking citaloparm for many years (12) and changing it scares me a lot

Even though you've been taking it for 12 years, you report that it's no longer working....

Sometimes medications can stop working, after many years......I understand your fear of switching, but wouldn't it be worth it to give something else a try, that might help you feel better?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 hour ago, linus2000 said:

Even if you've been taking for many years? I've been taking citaloparm for many years (12) and changing it scares me a lot

My best friend swapped directly from Effexor 187.5 mg to Zoloft 150 mg, and Effexor is one of the worst SNRIs for withdrawal side effects. He experienced only minor withdrawal side effects for a few days, but the Zoloft was so much better for him that he hardly paid attention to it.

What SSRIs have you taken? I've seen Zoloft work miracles in my experience, my mom, my grandmother, and my best friend. It seems to be a great SSRI. But as they say, YMMV.

I'm not suggesting you switch to Zoloft, I'm just saying one of my friends switched from one of the worst offenders of withdrawal effects without tapering directly to an SSRI and had no problems.

Edited by mikl_pls

Since I'm already taking it I can increase amitriptyline and decrease citalopram?

Edited by linus2000

20 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

What SSRIs have you taken?

So if I take ssri (citalopram) for 12 years I can change without waiting for too many problems? No withdrawal problems?

2 hours ago, linus2000 said:

So if I take ssri (citalopram) for 12 years I can change without waiting for too many problems? No withdrawal problems?

I cannot guarantee how you will react since our body chemistry is different, but I took citalopram for 10 years and switched immediately to Paxil and didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. Although, I must say that the Paxil didn't do much for my mood and I eventually came back to citalopram.

9 hours ago, linus2000 said:

I have personally hot-swapped antidepressants (stopped the old one day and started the new one the next day) many times with no problems—SSRIs, SNRIs, and TCAs. But that's just me.

I was on a visit, the psychiatrist told me that now I have to fight the obsessive / compulsive component of my problem, then leave citalopram at 40mg and replace 25mg amitriptyline with 25mg anafranil (clomipramine), and if it does not work, an atypical antipsychotic must be added . What do you think? In fact, what is most annoying me now is the constant revelation and worry that I will not come out anymore.

@linus2000, Why is your doctor keeping you on the citalopram if it's not working for you any longer?.....Have you told him it's no longer working?

Also, 25mg of clomipramine is a very small dose.......To be effective for obsessive/compulsive disorders, clomipramine dosage is usually much higher, around 200-250mg.

Would it be possible for you to seek a second opinion from another doctor?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@CrazyRedhead

I told my doctor that citalopram is no longer working, but he said it is not true: I have no panic attacks, my problem now is more towards Obsessive/compulsive disorder, so he wants to add 50mg of clomipramine (not 25mg) and eventually atypical antipsychotic.

That doesn't sound unreasonable, I'd give the clomipramine a good trial before the antipsychotic 

On 7/17/2017 at 7:17 PM, mikl_pls said:

I have personally hot-swapped antidepressants (stopped the old one day and started the new one the next day) many times with no problems—SSRIs, SNRIs, and TCAs. But that's just me.

Same here. I found the TCA's to be hard to first get on with start up side effects but no problem switching from TCA to TCA provided the new AD affected the same neurotransmitter to some degree. For that matter as long as the new AD covered the same ground as the old it did not matter what kind of AD it was. I never found a SSRI that did anything but I have made lots of hot cuts between AD's with no problems. I think this is most people's experience and a select smaller group is sensitive to these kind of changes.

1 person likes this