rory-30

Suicidal feelings - Lamictal titration

8 posts in this topic

Simply put I started Lamitical  about 3 weeks ago , the first/ week at 25 mg was working ok felt more relaxed although a bit groggy. during the second week I started to plummet . I moved up to 50 mg after 2 weeks as per doctor instructions. The last 4 or 5 days on this dose I feel like Im going crazy . I can be fine for hours and then go into severe anxiety/irritability   and a feeling or not worth living. Ive had this bipolar/anxiety for 8 years now. But this is the worst ive felt in a long time. I will see my doctor tomorrow and get benzos ect. My question is it worth digging in and going up to say 100mg. Or is this feeling a bad sign and I should stop the medication . 

I'd discuss it with your pdoc. I never had those issues going on or off Lamictal, but I did with Latuda. With Latuda, the problem persisted for a while because I think it was interacting with the Seroquel I was tapering off of. Are you taking any other medications with the Lamictal?

Lamictal can be a difficult drug to get onto - when I was starting it, I found that I was extremely up and down, with wild mood swings.  It settled down once I was at a therapeutic dose, and I've stayed on it for 6 years now.

What did help me was splitting the dose and taking half in the morning and half at night.  When I take it all at once, my mood gets super unstable.

Ok thanks, at what dose did it settle down at  , Did you experience alot of anxiety when starting? 

I was really manic so didn't have the depression end of things hit. But once I got settled on it, I've never had significant depression again, so that's a real plus. I hope you didn't mean you wanted to titrate up faster, that's not a really good idea. Maybe give your pdoc a call because the feelings do sound like you might need to modify something. My main complaint with the titration was that it was so slow and didn't seem to curb the manic part, but for my depression it has worked like nothing else, I hope you get some relief soon, too. 

Thanks a lot for your help,  my anxiety tends to get worse in the evening . The thing is I'm not quite sure I have bipolar or just  irritability from severe anxiety but I haven't been right since I came off lexapro in 2009 . I decide to go with Lamitical because it got a low side effect profile ect . I'll visit  my doctor tomorrow anyway. 

I don't remember when things started to settle down unfortunately - it was six years ago and it's all sort of fuzzy. I don't remember a lot of anxiety though, or at least not more than my usually high anxiety level. More so depression and irritability. 

Thanks, It seems to be easing down the last 48 hours. Feeling a good 60% better today. Hopefully its starting to work properly now.