dancesintherain

second opinions

13 posts in this topic

Not sure where to post this.

About two months ago a friend recommended I get a second opinion on medication.  I didn't really listen at the time, largely because I don't want to hurt the feelings of my psychiatrist and I don't see how that's avoidable ("hey so I saw this other person and he/she says that I should not be taking this and should be taking that instead").  The friend let it go when I didn't follow through.

Recently after my mild accidental overdose, a second person recommended a second opinion.  So now I've got two separate voices for it and it's not that strange an idea given the amount of medication that I'm on.

Has anyone done it before?  How'd it go with second opinion psychiatrist?  How'd it go with your original prescribing psychiatrist?

Yep. I have twice. The first guy admitted he was out of ideas and had me so drugged up that (I was a kid at the time) my mom had thought of suing him. The second one was the nicest doc ever, but just wasn't creative enough to manage my flavor of bipolar. He happily let us (still a minor then) and said that the only priority is what was best for me. If your doc is good and responsible he'll take option 2. You can also get the opnion while still seeing the fist doc, cuz hey, they might just say your doc is doing fine. I can't see your signature are u on a ton of meds?

8 psych plus some non-psych

thanks--I hope he takes option 2 also.  i've just been seeing him for 7 years, so I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Second opinions... aside from IP/IOP pdocs, no I haven't gone looking for one.

But recently I did some thinking about how to know if it's time. Talked about it with a friend who also has a complex chronic illness (not MI). 

He suggested it's time when the doctor doesn't seem to have a plan or creativity. If the response is always to just throw more meds, or if you don't feel believed/taken seriously... that suggests it's time for another look. If the problem is just that you're not responding to treatment and the doctor isn't adjusting treatment to try alternatives, maybe it's time. But just not responding to treatment is a characteristic of your illness, not a judgement on your doctor.

That all said, if you want a second opinion you should go get one. Don't worry about your doctor's feelings, as Iceberg said that's his job. You will not be the first patient to seek alternative perspective/treatment and to either leave his care or decide to stay. Nor will you be the last one to do so.

It's hard, but when it comes to our treatment we must put our needs before others.

do you have a specific issue-ex. "too many meds, meds not working, side effects too bad, not listening etc etc

Thanks geek, that helps a lot.

im concerned that he didn't do the last change in a way that makes sense (I had drug induced Parkinsonism and he went down on risperdal and then lithium and then lithium and then risperdal..:I felt like we were asking for trouble and then I landed in a mixed state), and the number of drugs I'm on (plus it's nearly constant tweaking).

there are tons of positives about him, but those are the challenges.

yeah i feel you about the meds thing. sometimes stability and  toughing it out a little is better than a biweekly med change

Yeah, it's complicated because he's changing things in response to my concerns, so it's hard to hold that against him.

yeah but hes the doc, sometimes the doc has to know when to put the foot down. Also, with so many meds who knows what tweaks will do. theres such a fine balance cuz as patients we want them to listen, but if they don't use discretion then it can get messy

i'm going through some similar things right now. pdoc 1 says she's maxed out and i need to find someone who can help me. i'm scared to. problem

is i can't find anyone who can see more fire like 8 weeks