Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sasha A.

Tianeptine

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm brand new here, so I hope this is OK.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptine,

I've been taking those for years and now I'm wondering if I should switch medication, cause I feel like shit all the time. I am quite reluctant to make that next step and ask for other medication. I'm told my initial diagnosis was dysthymia. this feels more severe now...

I also have asthma, anxiety issues... I'm 40.

Has anyone had experience with this type of SSRI? Thanks.

Hi, Sasha, and welcome to CB. I'm glad you joined us. Tianeptine is a tricyclic antidepressant that is not available in most English-speaking countries so it might be a while until you get a substantive answer to your question about Tianeptine. However, if you are feeling worse lately, I think it is time to talk to your doctor. Maybe it is indeed time to switch meds. There is nothing to fear about switching meds. You deserve to feel better, and you won't feel better unless you change something and meds are usually one  of the first places to start. Tianeptine seems to be not helping you now so I doubt that you will feel worse by changing.

Welcome again to our little crazy island in cyberspace!

14 hours ago, Sasha A. said:

I've been taking those for years and now I'm wondering if I should switch medication, cause I feel like shit all the time. I am quite reluctant to make that next step and ask for other medication. I'm told my initial diagnosis was dysthymia. this feels more severe now...

Yeah I am not familiar with that medication in particular. In my limited experience with meds, I find that some help, some help but also have unpleasant side effects, and some can make things  worse. It could be that your current medication stopped working. In any case, it's definitely worth consulting your doctor. 

Best of luck
--YAF

On 10-8-2017 at 8:42 AM, Sasha A. said:

Hi, I'm brand new here, so I hope this is OK.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptine,

I also have asthma, anxiety issues... I'm 40.

Has anyone had experience with this type of SSRI? Thanks.

Some Longcity forummembers have experience with tianeptine (also known as Stablon or Coaxil). 
There used to be a few threads about this anti-depressant. You might want to check out the forums over there.

It's not an SSRI, like jt07 already said, but some also call it an 'SSRE', a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer.
I don't know if this is entirely correct though, since https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptine mentions that it "produces its antidepressant effects through indirect alteration of glutamate receptor activity (i.e., AMPA receptors and NMDA receptors) and release of BDNF, in turn affecting neural plasticity".

It's not available in my country, but  I always find it interesting to read more about it.