ScrapingBottom

Ativan for sleep instead of Temazepam (Restoril)

6 posts in this topic

I'm facing a situation. I'm taking Lyrica, which gives me insomnia from hell, so I have to take Restoril to sleep. It's in the benzo family. The problem is, 6 of my Restoril got stolen. It's a long, unpleasant story. So I'm possibly facing 6 nights with no sleep. I have Ativan to take for anxiety. Do you think maybe 2 Ativan might help me sleep? Maybe 3? The doctor has said I can take 2 for really stressful situations. I'm going to save my Restoril for weeknights for work and try the Ativan for the weekend nights. What do you think? My Ativan is 1 mg.

My other meds are Wellbutrin 300mg and Adderall 20mg during the day, along with a low dose of Luvox twice a day (he's trying this as a possible aid to decrease my tardive dyskinesia), Lyrica 150mg twice a day, Ativan as needed, and, of course, the Restoril.

The PI says 2-4 mg for sleep in adults. I find I need at least 3 mg to get any length of sleep.

Yeah, it could certainly help. It's not that different to Restoril.

I once did a trial of Ativan 2mg as needed for insomnia and found it to be quite effective, without much morning drowsiness. So I'd say you've got a decent shot at getting some sleep with the Ativan, but your mileage may vary. I actually was on Restoril 30mg multiple times before and didn't find it that effective for insomnia, even if I took 60mg. What I really wish I could try is quazepam (Doral), which apparently has numerous advantages over the other benzodiazepines when it comes to treating insomnia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1969151

My pdoc has told me that I can occasionally use my ativan to help with sleep, and it definitely helps, although I only do it once every week or less. If I needed it frequently, she said she'd want to consider other options, but a couple times a week was fine with her.