MellaBlue

How long have you gone without a depressive episode?

13 posts in this topic

I've been doing really well for 19 months. Functional and happy. But that's all over now. It's been so long that I've forgotten what depression feels like so I'm not sure if I'm depressed or not. I'm definitely feeling anhedonia and boredom. Kind of numb and blank. I'm on Geodon and it has worked for the most part. I can't seem to read anymore and that is how I spend most of my time so now I'm at sea.

For depression I have been in remission for years. I know what you mean about not remembering what depression was like. I developed a set of simple questions that can only be answered yes/no. For incidence one question is "Has it been more than 4 days since I bathed?" I have noticed how quickly personal hygiene falls away when I am depressed.

The thing with meds and mental illness is it is not static. You can't fix it and them forget about it. Even medicated your illness changes and your med needs change. Could you get and appointment with whoever you see for your meds and discuss how you are feeling ? 

Posted (edited)

Do you feel u need a change with geodon? 

Sometimes the lack of reading for me means Maybe a shake up can help...that's my warning sign 

Edited by Iceberg

I see my doctor every 4 months. A lot can happen in 4 months. I just saw him in July. The last time I was depressed he didn't change my meds he just suggested I join a bowling league. I've gone through periods where I didn't feel like reading but I felt really good. not mania or hypomania just giddiness. I feel very strange.

Once I had a remission without meds for about three years. Those were good times. Now I'm on a good cocktail of meds, but I still know that the depression is there and just being held in check by the meds because every so often I get breakthrough depression. Meds are not a perfect solution for me but they are the best I've got since therapy doesn't really do much for me.

maybe about 5 years? Went through a period of rollercoastering hypo/baseline. That ended back in '11, been struggling again ever since. 

I had 3 years depression -free after I had my son.  My last time without depression lasted about 7 months. 

Just because you have a regular appointment does not mean you can't see him in between if you need to. Who is paying whom here ?

1 person likes this

I've gone years on good meds but before that happened I had much shorter times. Joining a bowling league, that wouldn't have helped me and that sort of advice insulted me. It may work for some, I don't know. I wouldn't wait 4 months. Call or go in if you feel depression setting in. Maybe you can head off a worse episode. 

I went about 5 years without that "feeling" of the deep deep depression on 300mg effexor.

Stupid me, I went down on my meds and now I'm dealing with it again.