Rabidtears

Take on moods of those around you?

4 posts in this topic

I was curious if many people have trouble with taking on the moods of those around you. I can be in the best of moods, euphoric even, but if I come across so eine who is angry or depressed then I feel like I'm the one in whatever situation. Picking up good moods happens also, but not as often. I don't get out much lol.

Yes, I take on moods of those around me, especially bad moods. I can be in a perfectly good mood (or neutral mood), but if someone around me is in a bad mood, my mood tanks for the remainder of the day.

I think it comes with being (perhaps overly) sensitive.

Definitely. When my parents have clear cut emotional issues that they cant deal with effectively, it completely destroys any good mood that I would otherwise have.

This happens to me as well. I've never been sure whether I should attribute it to bipolar, strictly speaking, or to past trauma that made being hypersensitive to the moods of others s useful survival tool.

I am also Autistic, and have learned that a lot of us are very sensitive to other people's moods, even if we don't know what's causing them. That makes it worse, in fact, because we can feel them, and knowing why adds another layer of stress to an already stressful and confusing situation.