CrazyBoards.org

I'm hesitating a bit of posting this as it is a quite controversial subject... What do you think about sexual assistance for people with a ASD or other disability? 

Precarious -

This is an interesting question, and not one I recall being addressed here previously on the boards. Please do not feel uncomfortable expressing views or asking questions about it here. This is a moderated environment. Certainly, intimacy is a challenge to many on the Autism Spectrum, yet it is a basic human need. I, too, would be interested in members' thoughts and/or experiences.

It is my hope that at some point sexual assistance will be viewed as a form of therapy (or however that should be worded) and would be covered by health insurance. 

In my view, any moral problem exists only on the side of a society that dismisses the importance of such a service.

Glad you brought up this point.

I find this interesting too, just generally, but know next to nothing about sexual assistance.  I guess it would be a less stressful, maybe more respectful encounter all-around, than someone with a disability going to a prostitute in the usual way... (theoretically, anyway)

Obviously the info on the website is very cautiously worded, but I'm guessing that sex would actually be an option in most cases.  I think sexual inexperience, or whatever the exact issue may be, can really hold people back in so many areas of their lives. Even if the holding-back is ultimately self-induced.  I think any attempt to make life more enjoyable (and accessible!) for people with ASDs is a great thing.

One of the reasons I think this could be of potential importance to individuals on the Autism Spectrum is for the possibility of aftercare by an assistant trained in understanding how the autistic mind does and does not respond emotionally. The intensity of emotion engaged in sexual behavior and especially interaction with another person can provoke emotional responses within someone with autism that he or she may not be able to identify and may not know how to cope with. Especially for a person lacking experience, having an assistant who would be there after the fact to help sort through the feelings and explain why things feel the way they do, or simply to reassure in a stable, concrete way, could mean the difference between developing a healthy sexuality and falling into a well of self-doubt, self-recrimination, or shame.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I brought up this topic... I mentioned I would have an intake appointment... That however never happened...  Eight months ago my girlfriend broke up with me... One can't always help himself... Now I want to make an intake appointment again it's however not cheap and I'm worried I would get attached to the sex worker...