CrazyBoards.org

pocketpanda

Afraid of door bells or knocks and phone calls

I am home alone most of the time. Whenever there's a knock on the door or the door bell rings, I jump up and hide, even though I usually stay in a room that's out of sight from the front door and window. I hold my breath, feel my heartbeats at the top of my skull, my ears ring, and I can't move for what seems like a long time but probably really only a few minutes.  When the phone rights, my heart beats fast right away and I have trouble breathing. My therapist said it's social anxiety because I don't want to interact with the unknown person on the other side of the door or on the phone. 

Has anyone experienced similar issues? 

• Like 1

I don't have social phobia (that I'm aware of) but I can definitely empathize with this. I hate hate answering the phone. I generally let the machine get it and will only pick it up if it's my partner or my mother or someone. Even when it's my mother though I hesitate. I don't know why. I think because I feel trapped on the phone, I can't just hang up and go away. The front door is the same. I really hate when someone is at the door and I wasn't expecting anybody.

I've gotten better with my reaction to the phone since having the machine because I know I don't have to pick it up if I don't want to. All this being said though, I also have issues with trying to call people. I get anxiety even when I call my Mum and will often attempt to call a number of times before I finally dial the number and actually let it ring. If I have to call back a business or something who left a message you can pretty much forget it. I'll put it off forever.

When someone knocks on my door I just freeze. I sit really still with my heart pounding. By the time I have the nerve to sneak up to the peephole they are usually gone; which is best. If I see a stranger I feel so anxious. But after I'm always so curious what they wanted lol. And I'm often in trouble for not calling people. Part of the reason is once I engage people want to make plans and I know I'll end up cancelling which adds new stress. They want to have a normal relationship and between the mild agoraphobia, depression, and chronic pain, social phobia feels like a side affect. 

I've gotten some better by telling myself it's my home and I have every right to not answer my door if I so choose. Especially to a stranger. My phone call response has been bad for years and still is. Unless it's my daughter I just feel anxious calling or answering. Texting is easier for me. Mostly I just don't want to have to explain or defend myself.

Just now, Allbymyself said:

When someone knocks on my door I just freeze. I sit really still with my heart pounding. By the time I have the nerve to sneak up to the peephole they are usually gone; which is best. If I see a stranger I feel so anxious. But after I'm always so curious what they wanted lol. And I'm often in trouble for not calling people. Part of the reason is once I engage people want to make plans and I know I'll end up cancelling which adds new stress. They want to have a normal relationship and between the mild agoraphobia, depression, and chronic pain, social phobia feels like a side affect. 

I've gotten some better by telling myself it's my home and I have every right to not answer my door if I so choose. Especially to a stranger. My phone call response has been bad for years and still is. Unless it's my daughter I just feel anxious calling or answering. Texting is easier for me. Mostly I just don't want to have to explain or defend myself.

The scary phone and door.😲