CrazyBoards.org

I am curious: Has anyone taken Zofran in an effort to minimize binge-purge behaviors? 

I am not sure the research definitively supports its helpfulness, but I can't see many downsides to trying.

I took Naltrexone unsuccessfully in the past but probably didn't combine it with enough concurrent therapy.

I can't imagine flip-flopping between anorexia and bulimia forevermore.  I need this monkey off my back!

I have read about this in the treatment of eating disorders, like bulimia nervosa, and I seem to remember it having some positive influence on the symptomology. I would imagine it would be a good adjunct to an SSRI like fluoxetine (Prozac).

I personally don't have bulimia nervosa, but rather binge eating disorder, but I keep some Zofran on hand because I'm pretty much an emetophobe.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11675858

CONCLUSIONS: Ondansetron for bulimia nervosa was reported to be effective in three small trials by one group of investigators, and may be an option after failure of traditional therapies. Further studies will define the role of serotonin (5-HT3) receptor antagonists in the management of bulimia nervosa.

http://brainblogger.com/2010/08/02/drugs-for-bulimia/

What about the roughly 50% of bulimics who do not respond to serotonin-boosting medications? Recent research covered by the science blog Neurotopia points the finger at a long nerve running through the cranium. The tenth cranial nerve, better known as the vagus nerve, branches through the neck, thorax and abdomen, and is involved in breathing, tasting, swallowing, and digestion. Most of the signal traffic carried by the vagus nerve is one way: from the body to the brain. Suspicion fell on the vagus nerve because of its direct involvement with one of bulimia's most salient traits -- the inability to feel normal levels of fullness, or satiety.

This dysregulation of the vagus nerve responds to the drug ondansetron, according to recent research published in Physiology & Behavior by Patricia L. Faris and colleagues. The antiemetic effects of ondansetron, which reduce vagus nerve activity by acting on the 5-HT3 serotonin receptor, seem to decrease vomiting while increasing the number of normal meals eaten.

I hope this information helps!