CrazyBoards.org

farshad040

Looking for a drug that blocks the most Serotonin receptors

19 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

Anyways, Serotonin is that love hormone

Oxytocin is (one of) the love hormone(s) (as well as phenylethylamine too I believe), but @BrianOCD is right, you definitely don't want to antagonize serotonin receptors just because you have a hypothesis that hasn't been validated by a psychiatrist for all we know since you didn't answer that question that your brain has "too much" serotonin.

@BrianOCD, I've read about SRI's needing some serotonin to work with in order to work. Perhaps you could discuss with your pdoc supplementing with 5-HTP or taking an antipsychotic that has strong 5-HT1B/1D antagonism (which disinhibits serotonin release).

Edited by mikl_pls

4 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Oxytocin is (one of) the love hormone(s) (as well as phenylethylamine too I believe), but @BrianOCD is right, you definitely don't want to antagonize serotonin receptors just because you have a hypothesis that hasn't been validated by a psychiatrist for all we know since you didn't answer that question that your brain has "too much" serotonin.

@BrianOCD, I've read about SRI's needing some serotonin to work with in order to work. Perhaps you could discuss with your pdoc supplementing with 5-HTP or taking an antipsychotic that has strong 5-HT1B/1D antagonism (which disinhibits serotonin release).

Ironicaly I did take a small dosage of 5-htp tonight, and I do feel better, little bit more calm.

I don't know about raising it any more than 50 mgs though as it could interact with Effexor.  I know you're not supposed to take it alongside ADs, but I can tell when my serotonin is dangerously low  (anxious, no more vivid vision, exhausted, insomnia)...and felt it was worth the risk....

Unfortunately I've heard 5-htp wears off if you're taking it daily.  Good thing is this drug is OTC so easy to get!

How have you been doing mikl?

Edited by BrianOCD

12 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

Ironicaly I did take a small dosage of 5-htp tonight, and I do feel better, little bit more calm.

I don't know about raising it any more than 50 mgs though as it could interact with Effexor.  I know you're not supposed to take it alongside ADs, but I can tell when my serotonin is dangerously low  (anxious, no more vivid vision, exhausted, insomnia)...and felt it was worth the risk....

Unfortunately I've heard 5-htp wears off if you're taking it daily.  Good thing is this drug is OTC so easy to get!

How have you been doing mikl?

5-HTP is probably the best OTC supplement for increasing serotonin levels (I think it does so peripherally too, so you get some unwanted side effects, especially at higher doses) because it bypasses the rate-limiting enzyme that converts L-tryptophan to 5-HTP (if I'm not mistaken).

There are other ways of increasing serotonin levels though (that I can think of off the top of my mind) but I'll PM this to you since we don't want OP to get upset about deviating from the original topic... >.>